patinum
patinum New Reader
2/26/15 10:35 a.m.

For the past 2 years my daily driver has been a wonderful Z3 Coupe. (I have a streetable but uncomfortable s2000 as a pretty dedicated track car). The BMW handles like a roadster, is still comfortable and relatively luxurious, I can have a +1 in the passenger seat and my dog in the back, and I can still transport 4 tires to my tire mounting shop.

But I miss having a convertible. So I've been thinking of selling it and getting a miata plus something cheap and utilitarian like a CRV.

So before I decide to have 3 cars, are there any 4 seater convertibles that would fit most of my needs. While I usually dislike non-roadster convertible handling, maybe a nice albeit not-nimble 4 seater convertible is worth it instead of the hassle of 3 cars (when I barely need 1 car).

Thoughts on E30/E36/E46 convertibles, A4/S4 convertible, Jaguar XK8? All seem more expensive to maintain than a miata + Crv. Anything else I'm forgetting? Maybe a targa?

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/26/15 11:31 a.m.

I've gone through the exact same dilemma several times, including right now. IMHO, no 4 seat convertible is going to give you the flexibility of a Miata + CR-V. It's a matter of how much are you willing to compromise for a "do it all" 4 seater? Plus yes, a Miata/CR-V would be easy maintenance.

Like you, if I got a jack of all trades, it'd be E36/46 or Mini, possibly Volvo/Saab. Given a choice, I'd rather have a utility car and Miata, but situation may dictate I get one do-it-all.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/15 11:31 a.m.

You hit it. All of those are sloppy and heavy compared to their hard-topped brothers. My wife has an E90 convertible. Nice cruiser but very heavy and not a sports car.

Looks like the budget is pretty low overall. I'm actually about to do the same thing. Sports convertible and SUV instead of my MR2 turbo. Probably going to get the Spyder version for running around town and undecided on the SUV at this point.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/26/15 11:50 a.m.

I think your problem is you've only tried 4 seater convertibles that are trying to be sporty.

Embrace the slop!

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
2/26/15 11:54 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I think your problem is you've only tried 4 seater convertibles that are trying to be sporty. Embrace the slop!

Lord have mercy... That is awesome. There's a guy in town has a black one with a chopped windshield. So much want....

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
2/26/15 12:25 p.m.

Fwiw, I've been contemplating replacing my 1.6 Miata with either Volvo or Saab convertible.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/26/15 12:52 p.m.

Once I decided that my Mustang GT was NOT a Miata, I thoroughly enjoyed the V8 rumble and thrust with the top down, even in twisty backroads.

And it's for sale locally again for $14k. So tempting...

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/628889609/overview/

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/26/15 12:58 p.m.

I've often wondered about those Mustang converts.

I've driven a Eclipse convertible, it feels like the front and the back is connected by only the floorpan which is made of a flat sheet of 0.050 aluminum. Do not recommend.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
2/26/15 1:16 p.m.

I'm currently at the point you want to be, except its Miata + Saturn SL. Cheap to maintain, insure and keep gas in. The Saturn also serves as a winterbeater because I'm in Michigan. Honestly, though, don't cut the Z3 loose too quickly. The "convertibleness" is actually one of the things I like least about the Miata.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/26/15 3:19 p.m.

I am a big fan of having the right tools for the right jobs. I recommend having a car for each duty. The added benefit is that you spread the mileage around, and don't wear any one car out too quickly.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/26/15 3:47 p.m.

As a friend of mine once said: "Four seat convertibles are for old women and dictators."

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/26/15 3:48 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I think your problem is you've only tried 4 seater convertibles that are trying to be sporty. Embrace the slop!

This. Four-seater convertibles aren't meant to be sporty. They're meant for cruising with the top down.

patinum
patinum New Reader
2/26/15 4:49 p.m.

I was kinda hoping someone would come in here and say the e36 m3 vert is totally worth it or that I totally overlooked an awesome car. But it looks like I have to decide if I want to give up any sense of sportiness to justify a 4 seater. I might. I mean, I still have the race car. But yet again, the answer seems to be miata.

Last attempt at this though - I realized that the 240sx convertible has a back seat. Any experiences? I don't plan to (competitively) race/drift it so I don't need it to be faster than a 240sx coupe. Just want a bit of nimble handling. Finding a non-riced, non-rusted, manual trans one seems to be difficult though.

bmw88rider
2/26/15 5:14 p.m.

They never made one with a manual. So for me that makes the 240SX a no go right off the bat. That and if I remember right, the top is stupid priced for a replacement.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
2/26/15 5:56 p.m.

Miata+truck(+trailer) is a great combo if you have the space and have any desire to tow your car to the track.

I would skip the small SUV as they don't really have THAT much space and completely lack towing capability.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
2/27/15 8:14 a.m.
patinum wrote: But it looks like I have to decide if I want to give up any sense of sportiness to justify a 4 seater.

Only if you consider the Miata the minimum of sportiness. There are a number of 4-seater convertibles that are in fact quite sporty, even if they are bigger and heaver than a Miata.

In no particular order: Mustang, Camero, BMW, Saab

Feeling more adventurous? Triumph Stag, Jaguar XJ, Porsche 9XX conversions

The world of sportiness does not end merely because of a rear seat.

bmw88rider
2/27/15 12:24 p.m.

I guess the question is how useful do you actually need the rear seats?

You can get away with a 911 if you just need it as a place for a bag or your dog to sit. M3 Convertible is not horrible but the rear seat is for small kids only (at least when I drive). Same with the Mustang.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/27/15 1:54 p.m.

I have an E36 328. I haven't driven a coupe to compare, but it's not a bad car in its own right. Just don't expect it to be a Miata. And it will be a bit heavier than your Z3 coupe.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 2:59 p.m.

How much convertible can you handle?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
2/27/15 3:44 p.m.

In reply to patinum: I haven't driven many of the coupe and droptop versions of the same car, so you should drive both to see if you feel a difference. I have ridden in an E46 330 droptop, and it's sporty enough to be a DD in your scenario, IMO. I haven't driven an E36 droptop.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/28/15 7:20 a.m.

I'm going with giant old caddy as well.

with a Cuda Vert in second place

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/15 2:40 p.m.

Go with the Top Gear choice. An E30 325i manual convertible as stock as possible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7UbfijaC8ma4P3UH7RsRj2kva5o5MdOSJYpD5eZKO3hXn7vJRkDNsF11C13VUeLf