1 2
jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/17 2:34 p.m.
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/27/17 2:46 p.m.

Except that it's not 4wd or AWD.  Just lifted.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/17 3:38 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Except that it's not 4wd or AWD.  Just lifted.

Sorry, my bad.... still weird IMO.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/27/17 3:41 p.m.

Seems incredibly overpriced for a lift kit and some tires unless I'm missing something.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/27/17 3:44 p.m.

"Custom 2 inch lift kit"

The paco kit is 3" and sub $200.

They could have at least done the full offroadster setup first, or fixed the bumper. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/17 8:11 p.m.

That thing looks like Weggy from The Oblongs.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/27/17 9:03 p.m.

So it's an automatic transmission and a manual too. That's got to be interesting.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/17 9:40 p.m.
RevRico said:

"Custom 2 inch lift kit"

The paco kit is 3" and sub $200.

They could have at least done the full offroadster setup first, or fixed the bumper. 

"They" is a dealership that got their hands on a 19-year-old Miata with big tires, weird suspension and a Plastidip paint job. They probably got it in trade, maybe at auction. They have no idea what's been done to it other than it's odd enough to maybe get some attention. They copied out a spec sheet off the internet for 1999 Miatas, showing all possible options.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/17 10:49 p.m.

seems a waste to a perfectly good NB

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/28/17 6:01 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Something tells me this particular NB looks good from afar, but is is far from "perfectly good"...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/17 7:36 a.m.

If the suspension geometry is sorted and the steering angles were correct that would be a fun vehicle.  I would drive that!!!!

Ohhh and it needs a bit of Keith's LS magic added in.  I mean if you are going big you need a big motor right?

Keith Tanner
11/28/17 10:38 a.m.

If it's still running the stock ring and pinion behind those big tires, you may want that big motor just to get off the line laugh

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/17 10:48 a.m.

I like it, but I like $5950 much better.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/17 11:06 a.m.

I almost panicked, but it's not actually 4X4...

As far as I know no one has done a true AWD or 4WD miata. I plan to be the first!

Keith Tanner
11/28/17 11:24 a.m.

How much Miata has to remain? There have been a couple of truck-based conversions.

If you're building one, I want to know more. 323GTX components?

Keith Tanner
11/28/17 11:29 a.m.

Dammit, now I'm thinking bad things. I used to say it wouldn't package, now I wonder.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/28/17 11:38 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

As far as I know no one has done a true AWD or 4WD miata. I plan to be the first!

So, I should be expecting a call this spring to come play?

And to my earlier comment, I quit reading the description after "Custom 2 inch lift"

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/17 11:43 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Dammit, now I'm thinking bad things. I used to say it wouldn't package, now I wonder.

Run front driveshafts through the oil pan, mount front diff to side of engine block/oil pan.

A complete pain to engineer, but its been done on other vehicles with success.

Finally, who says all 4 wheels have to be driven by the same power unit?

A couple of electric hub motors in the front would solve some of the packaging concerns.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/28/17 11:52 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

You could use KMiata's kit to put a BMW 325ix transmission and transfer case behind either a Mazda BP or Honda K-series in a Miata. 

Keith Tanner
11/28/17 11:53 a.m.

There's ...stuff...in a Miata oil pan.

Much easier to take the drivetrain from one of the contemporary Mazda AWD setups. You can compare the hoodlines of the Mercury Capri and the Miata to get an idea of how much clearance you'd need to hang that engine in front of the wheels. If I was serious, I'd get the profile shot of the Capri from the-blueprints.com and line them up first.

Low rez Mercury. I tried to match the diameter of the front wheel for scale. Looks like the Miata would need a hood bulge, and of course you're going to move the engine forward. But it's plausible, and probably the easiest way forward.

Keith Tanner
11/28/17 11:54 a.m.
NickD said:
AWSX1686 said:

You could use KMiata's kit to put a BMW 325ix transmission and transfer case behind either a Mazda BP or Honda K-series in a Miata. 

Oh, weird. Problem is that you'd have to lift the engine enough to get the halfshafts under the crankshaft, which is pretty much in line with the center of the front wheels on the Miata.

AWSX1686
11/28/17 12:44 p.m.
Stefan said:

Finally, who says all 4 wheels have to be driven by the same power unit?

Exactly...

AWSX1686
11/28/17 12:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

How much Miata has to remain? There have been a couple of truck-based conversions.

If you're building one, I want to know more. 323GTX components?

Truck based conversion doesn't really count in my book. Technically, it is, but it's also not...

I haven't started building it yet, but I plan to once I finish the Spitfire. I'm really trying to put it fully together before I move on to something this big. My limited garage space and budget just about demands it. I have some general ideas of using possibly protege parts, but haven't done enough serious looking to see what would be best. We can chat more if you want. Text or FB message me, 2six7, nineoh8, 67twofive. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
11/28/17 1:08 p.m.

Man stuff like that needs skid plates, flared fenders, a screaming engine of some sort and a thick berkeleying rollbar with off road lights on it.

And then it never leaves sand dunes. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/17 6:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There's ...stuff...in a Miata oil pan.

Much easier to take the drivetrain from one of the contemporary Mazda AWD setups. You can compare the hoodlines of the Mercury Capri and the Miata to get an idea of how much clearance you'd need to hang that engine in front of the wheels. If I was serious, I'd get the profile shot of the Capri from the-blueprints.com and line them up first.

Low rez Mercury. I tried to match the diameter of the front wheel for scale. Looks like the Miata would need a hood bulge, and of course you're going to move the engine forward. But it's plausible, and probably the easiest way forward.

Might be easier with an NC?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
olFF29SdSZeMw4PM0uHekPmpS1FY9CpeSXFxoiAvm0BZ3sZRWM00Hx0DPFPZV7ri