1 ... 14 15 16
pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
6/26/14 9:35 p.m.

In reply to bastomatic: A scooter won't really work as inclement weather gear won't fit in my locker with my lunch and they don't want anything on top. Even a heavy winter coat will have to stay in the car.

Hopefully the Elio will get built and the small engine will warm up even on a short trip. The Truck is getting about 8MPG which isn't too bad.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/27/14 3:20 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Yup, follow Tuna's advice. Caution with buying a used electric only vehicle. When it's battery dies, you're left with either an expensive piece of yard art or a repair bill well into the thousands. That's why over 90% of Leafs are leased. Consider a lease. With the commute you describe, the Leaf is a perfect fit.

So my wife tells me that it's more like 75 miles/day, as she is going to have to take our daughter to school in the morning, pick her up in the afternoon and go the office in between. I've been pushing the Leaf on her, but she's developed range anxiety already. Based on the range numbers you guys are throwing around, it sounds like we may be beyond the comfort zone.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
6/27/14 3:34 p.m.
pjbgravely wrote: I just got a job that is 1.8 miles from home. I am currently driving my truck because the short drive will kill my Mustang. What I really need is an electric car. Unfortunately they are too expensive used right now. Even one with a almost dead battery would work. Maybe I will build one someday.

1.8 miles? Why wouldn't you just bicycle or walk?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/27/14 3:59 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Yup, follow Tuna's advice. Caution with buying a used electric only vehicle. When it's battery dies, you're left with either an expensive piece of yard art or a repair bill well into the thousands. That's why over 90% of Leafs are leased. Consider a lease. With the commute you describe, the Leaf is a perfect fit.
So my wife tells me that it's more like 75 miles/day, as she is going to have to take our daughter to school in the morning, pick her up in the afternoon and go the office in between. I've been pushing the Leaf on her, but she's developed range anxiety already. Based on the range numbers you guys are throwing around, it sounds like we may be beyond the comfort zone.

Sounds like you need a Volt (or model S )

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
6/27/14 6:41 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

I could bike if I get a back pack for my lunch until I get moved to the new plant. After that it would be dangerous, I don't like driving part of it in a car. If I get switched to second shift ( I am not a morning person) I might try biking, but in the snow and the torrential down pours we keep getting will be hard.

After a long hard day I really don't want to have to walk or bike home. I will probably start looking for a pre '94 car to build an EV out of.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
6/27/14 8:19 p.m.

I rode a bicycle 10 miles round trip for a couple years. Snow, rain, cold, heat. It was awesome. You really look forward to the ride home after a long hard day.

Backpacks are a lot cheaper than EVs. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I lived within 8 miles or so.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/27/14 9:10 p.m.

One of the great things about being in a car is that it's a 3000 lb suit of armor. I enjoy biking and walking on non-car trails but biking or walking near or alongside cars is not something i ever plan to do as part of my daily life, so i understand those concerns.

That, and down here it is crazy sprawled and the only temperature is hot.

1 ... 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m5IstxT5YSR2s5SXgyWpQ0TCyj97MXNCqUwAX8WbBMC2OKAnWS1Lp5IuhAkRj1E6