1 2
miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 7:31 p.m.

have any of you seen any info on the next gen Miata? from what I read, it's gonna be pretty darn good. Not too keen on the whole front design, but the final product could change in time. Any opinions as to what you think about it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/12 10:40 p.m.

The only real information out there is:

Skyactiv turbo gas engine
as light as possible, with a target of around 2200 lbs

Anything other than that is mostly the result of fevered dreaming by people with no information. In particular, there are no spy shots so you can't judge the styling - they're all "artist's interpretations" which means they're complete random guesses based on the show car du jour.

But the above points are promising.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 10:49 p.m.

Car & Driver had an issue recently of 25 cars worth waiting for and the 2014 Miata was in it. Had a picture of a guy driving suppossed new Miata. Not sold on the pic as a final product, but it does sound promising.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 10:50 p.m.

It be nice if it were to have the same power, if not a little more than the NC

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/15/12 8:19 a.m.
miataman86 wrote: Car & Driver had an issue recently of 25 cars worth waiting for and the 2014 Miata was in it. Had a picture of a guy driving suppossed new Miata. Not sold on the pic as a final product, but it does sound promising.

I'm gonna guess it's the same photo that's been making the rounds on the internet. Like Keith said, it's all just some guy's Photoshop job.

If it really comes in at 2200 lbs, I might have to buy one regardless of power output. Scaled mine recently and it's 2195—a loud, floppy, shaky 2195.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
6/15/12 8:22 a.m.
miataman86 wrote: Car & Driver had an issue recently of 25 cars worth waiting for and the 2014 Miata was in it. Had a picture of a guy driving suppossed new Miata. Not sold on the pic as a final product, but it does sound promising.

Pretty sure that's just one of the various "artist's renderings" floating around. Whether the next Miata will actually look like that or not is anyone's guess.

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/15/12 8:33 a.m.

They lost me after the first generation

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
6/15/12 11:08 a.m.
plance1 wrote: They lost me after the first generation

if they're going to add lightness, and keep it affordable, what else do you want?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
6/15/12 11:25 a.m.

They only had me on the 2nd gen.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
6/15/12 11:42 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
They only had me on the 2nd gen.

lol @ you guys, they're the same car.

Every rendering I've seen has been underwhelming at best. The NC has never caught me the way the early cars did, so I'm firmly in the 'wait and see' camp on this one.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/12 12:10 p.m.
miataman86 wrote: It be nice if it were to have the same power, if not a little more than the NC

Supposedly it will, with a small (1.4? 1.3?) turbo engine.

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/15/12 2:55 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
if they're going to add lightness, and keep it affordable, what else do you want?

something that looks like the original

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
6/15/12 3:36 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
belteshazzar wrote:
something that looks like the original

Then just buy an NA.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
6/15/12 3:38 p.m.

nderwater whle Gen 1 and Gen 2 might have been mostly the same under the skin but Gen 2 is the only one that looked good.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/12 2:18 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: if they're going to add lightness, and keep it affordable, what else do you want?

The ability to double the horsepower just by giving my credit card # to Keith? :)

I tend to doubt that a small, factory turbo engine is going to have anywhere close to the upgradability of the BP.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
6/16/12 4:55 a.m.

Hunh. I always thought that the second gen was the best looking of the three so far. Hate the way the first gen looks. Just looks far too bland to me.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
6/16/12 9:21 a.m.

I'm in the minority I guess. I like the 3rd Gen and in fact recently bought one.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
6/16/12 9:42 a.m.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/16/12 9:57 a.m.

The 1st looks great, like a Lotus Élan, and the new ne looks nice and modern. The 2nd gen just looks like a bland '90s turd. I bet you could rock that thing is beige all day long.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/12 10:05 a.m.

The styling of the NB got better in 2001 with the new lights and bumper. More chiseled, less blobby. Personally, my least favorite is the 1999-00 for looks followed by the 2006-08. Best looking NC is the Mazdaspeed nose.

We don't know what the potential of the Skyactiv will be yet. There are usually some fairly easy pickings on a factory turbo mill - maybe not 100% power gains without some pain, but 25% for relatively little cash perhaps? We'll see.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/12 11:47 a.m.

the NC doesn't do anything for me. NA and NB look good with the right equipment.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/16/12 11:53 a.m.

NC is my favorite so far. I can fit in it easily and it is just as much fun to drive. I own and race an NA.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
6/16/12 12:13 p.m.

It seems obvious to me that you guys who like the NA & NC just simply don't know what you're talking about.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
6/16/12 1:21 p.m.

I really hope the 4th gen Miata is really good. Not because I want one, but maybe so it'll drive down he market for NC's.

I drove one in February just to "try it out" because I was thinking of getting something a bit more modern, but still fun. I really had to remind myself I was still "just shopping"

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/12 1:23 p.m.
Keith wrote: The styling of the NB got better in 2001 with the new lights and bumper. More chiseled, less blobby. Personally, my least favorite is the 1999-00 for looks followed by the 2006-08.

Ehh, to each their own. I thought Mazda started out right with the NB and then it went downhill from there. My personal favorite is the '99 sport. The front lip and rear spoiler give it a little attitude and thankfully the goofy side sills are deleted.

I guess the early NA is my second favorite. Either the smurf blue or bright yellow.

The NC really never did much for me. I think the restyle helped, but I've only seen a handful of NC's that didn't make me say "YECHH." Thankfully we can all choose our favorite. Hopefully the ND (if that is what they will call it) will deliver on it's technical targets and have great styling.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AVgbuPwxzyMspCKHTp8xJtRqh84IMFTNRbRotX8gTecv5shQgkRiztrEcf9aFbzZ