1 2
Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/5/13 1:43 p.m.

Hi GRM Hive Mind,

I've been looking to get a project car, and I have convinced SWMBO to buy into a convertible so long as it is possible to seat 5 for ice cream runs or the occasional Sunday drive. I'm also looking for something that would be easy to wrench on to develop my own wrenching skills as well as introduce my boys to the joys of being bitten by the car bug. I'd love if it could be something easily upgraded to be fun to drive. Manual preferred, but I'd not turn something away if it was ONLY auto.

Now, I know the 5 seater requirement does limit me a bit, but I am hoping to draw on the collective experience here to maybe offer up a few alternatives. I'm will to consider some 4 seaters if there is the possibility of adding in a center lap belt for the occasional 5th rider (only if it can be done reasonably, not talking about drilling holes in the floor and bolting the belt to the sheet metal).

I've been trawling craiglist and I have been looking at mk1 VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles and mk3 Cabrios, as well as last gen Cavalier/Sunfires, early-mid 90's Cutlass Supremes, first gen Sebrings... and then muscle car era full size GM's... Almost everything except BMW/Audi/Solara... Those look like there in no chance of modifying to add a center belt.

Can anyone comment on the VW's? Can they fit 3 little ones across? (10, 10, and 7 - but the 7 yr old is a peanut). I've looked at Fox body Mustangs, but they are too narrow in the back (at least when I looked at one at a car show). What about first gen Mustang, Firebirds, Camaros? Muscle era mid-sizers?

Thank you for any help.

-Mike

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/5/13 1:49 p.m.

FYI, since the late 70's (?), there have been no convertibles from the factory with 5 seat belts. I'm sure there are ways around this, but for a 5 seat convertible you're limited to a custom shop Cadillac or a 70's barge.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
8/5/13 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Wxdude10:

We've been looking at Cabby's for a little while now, and no, there's no center lap belt and are pretty narrow. Same goes for pretty much all of those options, but older convertibles may have a bit more room. Maybe the Sebring, but, it's a Sebring. And most Cutlass convertibles came with the bucket seats in the back, so there's not even a full seat to sit 3 across.

If you want something with a pretty big back seat and a convertible, I'd be looking at bigger A-body muscle cars and also 60s/70's Caddy convertibles. Decent shape muscle car convertibles will run you substantially more than a 1980's VW convertible.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
8/5/13 1:52 p.m.

Not sure if it is a 5 seater but the Volvo C70 is gorgeous

[URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/krokkiestachje/media/volvo/DSCN2735.jpg.html][/URL]

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
8/5/13 1:53 p.m.

Body-on-frame 70's stuff is as modern as you're going to find.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/5/13 1:57 p.m.

Right, I don't think there are any recent 5 seat convertibles. I would say a big 'ol "NO" to putting a child in a lap only belt. Very dangerous. This may be a tough one. I had thought maybe getting a Wrangler or Tracker, and trying to add a 5th lap/shoulder belt if you put some kind of a bar across the back...but that creates it's own issues (clearance for top. safety of occupant head in a rollover, etc...).

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/5/13 1:57 p.m.

I've seen last gen Cav/Sunfires with the third seat belt. And I know that the 95 Cutlass came standard with the rear bench seat (no more rear buckets, plus the rear bench from the standard cutlass drops right in). But both of those are what they are. Along with the Sebring.... Although I saw on one of the Sebring forums that a person did add the center belt.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
8/5/13 1:59 p.m.

Cabrios are only a 4 seater from what I could find on the interwebs.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
8/5/13 2:07 p.m.

You could look for one of these, may be OK for an occasional 5. I think this was one of the best designs for the time, coupe included. Still see them around...

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
8/5/13 2:09 p.m.

The last gen Sunfire/Cavalier is probably going to be one of the smallest backseats of all the cars mentioned, but if it has the belt, sounds like it answers the question.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/13 2:13 p.m.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/5/13 2:34 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Have you driven one of the a-bodies? I looked at one at the same cars show as the Fox mustang, and I thought it might be wide enough, but I wasn't sure.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/5/13 2:39 p.m.

In reply to mattmacklind:

Hey mattmacklind,

The picture didn't post. What were you suggesting?

Thanks!

-Mike

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/13 2:41 p.m.

Saab 900 Back Seat.

Turbo, 5-Speed, Fun, Tuneable...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/13 2:42 p.m.

Chrysler LeBaron 'vert....

pinchvalve
8/5/13 2:43 p.m.

Damn, still a 4-seater.

pinchvalve
8/5/13 2:44 p.m.

Also a 5-seater, also a 5-speed, and TONS of aftermarket support.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/5/13 2:53 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

What year 900 convertible is that?? I've thought about the 900... Hits the right buttons for me.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/5/13 2:53 p.m.

I didn't know the Wrangler came as a 5 seater. Wonder if the older ones are. I'd bet the 4 door version is...come to think of it, I know it is. I sat in the back of one during an indoor "test drive" at the Philly Auto Show.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/5/13 2:54 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

And while miata is ALWAYS the answer....

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/5/13 2:56 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Also a 5-seater, also a 5-speed, and TONS of aftermarket support.

Yeah, I've looked at those too. Along with Isuzu Amigo's...

Were they wide enough for 3 across in the later gen 2 door Wranglers? I know the Unlimiteds are big enough. But too new.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/5/13 3:05 p.m.

Should be. I've got a pair of old Geo Trackers. My 3 kids have sat in the back of it a few times (they didn't/don't run, so we didn't go anywhere with 3 in the back). It was tight, but they fit. The Jeep is wider, so I'd bet they'd fit.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/13 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Wxdude10:

i had a '66 cutlass convertible that carried five beach-bound adult males from DC to Ocean City MD several times. on other occasions it carried:
- 4 adult males and a half-keg
- 3 adult males and 3 mountain bikes (front wheels in back seat, everything else in trunk)
- four 225/70-15 tires in the backseat, all of my garage stuff in the trunk

so yeah, it'll easily hold 5 with front buckets, or 6 with a front bench.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
8/5/13 3:43 p.m.

Early '80s Buick Riviera? They're pretty big and probably not too expensive.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
8/5/13 4:21 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

The convertible version was an aftermarket conversion, wasn't it? I think I've seen exactly one of those, ever.

And honestly, I'd rather own almost anything else mentioned in this thread.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dupg8yz354eZiGTWWLmYXnqbg8J4JzTyfFLMKxDv8y8Fvk58A8115P5A1XtuVGXn