1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/14 4:49 p.m.

I clicked on this ad because it seemed cheap for a '63...

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/4289380320.html

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/14 4:53 p.m.

Can't tell if I hate that or not...

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/16/14 4:56 p.m.

That's about right for a tastefully done well executed custom. This one is an abortion however

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
1/16/14 5:10 p.m.

Too bad he missed the target.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/16/14 5:30 p.m.

Ugh. That's terrible. I wonder how much a repro front and rear clip would cost so that could be fixed.

Woody
1/16/14 5:42 p.m.

I think that at least part of it may have been a kit. I have a box of old magazines from the 60's and I remember seeing ads for all kinds of crazy fiberglass stuff. Those headlights look kind of familiar.

It's funny that he makes absolutely no reference to the bodywork in the Craigslist ad.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/14 5:46 p.m.

Listen, I'm the last guy that should preach about bastardizing a decent car, a piece of Americana; but this guy needs to have his balls smashed flat with a rock.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
1/16/14 6:21 p.m.

Even Matchbox or HotWheel never made anything so ugly (except for that Red Barron car).

Bad taste + too much free time + extra cash = this car.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/16/14 6:23 p.m.

Um. How can I say this politely? That car is not particularly attractive.

Of course, if you're talking '63 Corvettes, the one to have is the coupe.

I took this shot this past summer at a little car show near the house. Not too many cars, but there were some stunners.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
1/16/14 6:24 p.m.
Woody wrote: Those headlights look kind of familiar.

Ripped from a defenseless Datsun Z?

SEADave
SEADave Reader
1/16/14 6:39 p.m.

If it is any consolation, that body kit was probably done DECADES ago when it was just another old car. It isn't too bad, although (to me) the front is less offensive than the back. There are reproduction parts out there to return it to the original look if you wanted.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/16/14 6:41 p.m.
nocones wrote: Can't tell if I hate that or not...

I can. And I do!!!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/16/14 6:58 p.m.

The front end appears to be inspired by the body kit Baldwin-Motion used on C2 Corvettes around 1970-1971:

Assuming that's the case, this car was probably modified in the early 1970s as well. So, it was probably pretty fashionable considering a '63 Corvette was just a used car at the time.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/14 7:01 p.m.

Unless it's got some special provenance that's too much money for a car no longer original. Hopefully it started life as a basket case, non-matching numbers car with no real future appreciation prospects. Sort of like my 75! I'd drive it though I would want to see it in person. Appears to be a one off using later C3 body components in the rear.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/16/14 8:05 p.m.

I have always been amazed at the amount of custom Z's and Vette's out there.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/16/14 8:26 p.m.

Aside from the hood, its amazing how this person managed to surgically remove every piece of factory design work that makes a 63 such a great looking car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/14 8:32 p.m.

A '63 Corvette without the split rear window is like a good looking woman without a Bob Costas. Something important is seriously missing.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/14 8:39 p.m.
Carro Atrezzi wrote: That's about right for a tastefully done well executed custom. This one is an abortion however

You haven't looked at the price of Corvettes recently, have you?

That's about the right price for a clean but un-restored non-numbers matching undesirable model.

A well done custom is worth twice that.

If it was a '63 coupe, it would be worth upwards of $75K. Perfect could reach $130K.

But I agree, that one is an abortion.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/16/14 8:43 p.m.

the only part of the car that really offends me is the engine bay:

ditch the Edelbrock valve covers and get some tasteful cheap chrome ones and get some proper black plug wires that actually fit the engine and don't stick out like a sore thumb.. then take 5 or 10 minutes to properly route them on anything but a set of cheap blue Moroso universal wire looms- or at least get the black Moroso looms, don't bolt the brackets backwards on the wrong side of the engine, and use all of the pieces that come with the kit to properly route the wires.. also, that air cleaner's gotta go- a nice drop base 14" chrome air cleaner with a 4" element just fits everything and is easy to find a replacement element for..

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/16/14 8:51 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Carro Atrezzi wrote: That's about right for a tastefully done well executed custom. This one is an abortion however
You haven't looked at the price of Corvettes recently, have you? That's about the right price for a clean but un-restored non-numbers matching undesirable model. A well done custom is worth twice that. If it was a '63 coupe, it would be worth upwards of $75K. Perfect could reach $130K. But I agree, that one is an abortion.

one guy i know picked up a 67 Vette coupe in pieces about a decade ago... it's a factory 427/whatever the highest HP rating was/4 speed car that was taken apart in 1970 or 1971 for some customization, then left forgotten in the back of the shed until my friend bought it for $15k... everything is there and everything is original except for the engine, which was a warranty replacement long block that was put in the car in 1969. it just needs to be put back together.

he had one "expert" that the previous owner knew tell him that if he put it all back together, it was easily a $100k car, then proceeded to tell him where he could get all the proper date coded hoses, belts, and what not for it... the guy almost had a heart attack when my friend told him his plans for the car: Hooker side pipe headers, air shocks, big and little tires, and candy apple red paint- the car that he's wanted since the mid 70's.. the guy tried to tell him that he couldn't do it because that would be an abomination to a piece of American heritage or some such nonsense.. my friend told him that if he wanted to restore the car, he could buy it on the spot for $50k or gtf off his property... they guy whimpered and left..

he hasn't gotten around to working on the car yet, but when he does get it together he's going to take it to one of those concourse Vette shows and have a little fun...

Woody
1/16/14 9:25 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The front end appears to be inspired by the body kit Baldwin-Motion used on C2 Corvettes around 1970-1971:

I really like the white car.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/16/14 9:39 p.m.

He's not trying hard enough.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/16/14 11:56 p.m.

^ that would be a pretty great parade car for a fire department to tow their parade float with.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/17/14 7:47 a.m.
Woody wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: The front end appears to be inspired by the body kit Baldwin-Motion used on C2 Corvettes around 1970-1971:
I *really* like the white car.

It is better looking than you would think.

The green one? What a mess....

Woody
1/17/14 8:01 a.m.

More Baldwin Motion C3:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GFdRIEcLyAsJx6dt85uyoSvQkODAAtg9cWNVci4dxytcPvVEfmrzUc3cW4ihMvqa