1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/14 8:16 a.m.

The price isn't that bad if its solid mechanical. In high school I worked in a corvette shop and saw far worse customs come in to be undone.

I would put the proper front and rear clips on it. Add an extra tail light on each side like so many of them got in the 70s, keep the flairs, put on some Halibrand knock offs, big side pipes and LeMans style exposed headlights. Not that I've thought about it much.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/17/14 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Wait a tick, those are C3 vettes.... Or was the Baldwin kit called the c2?

JKleiner
JKleiner Reader
1/17/14 11:49 a.m.

I bet it was just the shizzle when it was originally done somewhere around 1971.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
1/17/14 3:33 p.m.

Where is a horsewhip when you need one? Not a huge fan of the C2 - they drive like trucks, but at least they looked rather nice. Now there is one less that looks nice. 30 lashes!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/17/14 4:03 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Woody: Wait a tick, those are C3 vettes.... Or was the Baldwin kit called the c2?

"C2" is a phrase that didn't exist in respect to Corvettes until the 5th generation Corvette came out in 1996 as a 1997 model and was called the "C5" by the GM engineers and marketing people... from that point forward, every Corvette has been a "C-whatever generation it happened to be"..

C1= 1953-1962

C2= 1963-1967

C3= 1968-1982

C4= 1984-1996

C5= 1997-2004

C6= 2005-2013

C7= 2014-?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/14 4:04 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Woody: Wait a tick, those are C3 vettes.... Or was the Baldwin kit called the c2?

Doh! My bad. I was following someone else's lead, though I should have known better.

(Edited my error)

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/17/14 4:15 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

And technically, the C1 could be split into a few sub groups.....The only thing I have noticed they share in common is the same PITA to enter/exit

Wally
1/17/14 6:14 p.m.

In reply to yamaha: They are pretty much the same underneath, Passenger car suspension with a live rear axle.

Woody
1/17/14 6:20 p.m.

Are C2s and C3s similar underneath?

Wally
1/17/14 9:06 p.m.

Very, I believe most everything interchanges without much trouble.

C2

C3

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/18/14 1:25 a.m.
Woody wrote: Are C2s and C3s similar underneath?

pretty much the same chassis with a different body... kind of like the C5/C6 transition- more of an evolutionary design than a revolutionary design.

Woody
1/18/14 6:17 a.m.

Can you put a C2 body onto a C3 chassis?

Woody
1/18/14 6:19 a.m.
Wally wrote: Very, I believe most everything interchanges without much trouble. C2 C3

Wow. Those look like they would have no torsional rigidity whatsoever...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/18/14 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

That's one of the better chassis from the 60's.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/18/14 6:19 p.m.
wspohn wrote: Not a huge fan of the C2 - they drive like trucks...

Funny thing. I remember thinking pretty much the same when I first drove my wife's immaculate '78 L-82.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/14 6:58 p.m.

C1 Solid axle cars
C2 The Mid years
C3 Shark bodied cars
C4 the New Corvette
C5
C6
C7

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
1/18/14 11:34 p.m.

Fuglywugly.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/14 7:51 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Carro Atrezzi wrote: That's about right for a tastefully done well executed custom. This one is an abortion however
You haven't looked at the price of Corvettes recently, have you? That's about the right price for a clean but un-restored non-numbers matching undesirable model. A well done custom is worth twice that. If it was a '63 coupe, it would be worth upwards of $75K. Perfect could reach $130K. But I agree, that one is an abortion.

That's not exactly right. I follow the market fairly closely. I've owned more than one of these things to boot. The thing to remember with Corvettes is that originality is king. Even though some big-block C2s are well into the six figures, other less desirable ones can be had for fractions of that. Non original engines and body modifications going much beyond simple fender flairs have a drastic impact on worth. It all hinges upon weather or not the car can be put back to stock. If it can't, and it would truly be a magnum opus to return this one to stock, the worth drops to the level of a snake belly in a wagon rut.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/14 8:04 p.m.
Woody wrote: More Baldwin Motion C3:

As hideous as that might seem today, a genuine Joel Rosen authenticated Baldwin Motion Corvette will sell for several hundred thousand dollars. The key in that is the piece of paper from Joel saying that his guys built it. Motion sold tons of those body kits which were put onto C3's by customers. Some were so well done that when the mechanicals got upgraded too, they became very hard to differentiate from the genuine artifact. Evidently Motion did not pay particularly close attention to serial numbers back in the day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I6WrxRJZ9zJRc1FaeOmSa3wVjim3GH9zPHdoHmwcTANCjTty8a44ek4khex4sP46