1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
10/31/08 4:29 p.m.

^Just so you know my posts were aimed at Tommy.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
10/31/08 4:34 p.m.

I've been researching, and it seems like a sealed box would be better. From what I read, it seems like the sealed box has better sound quality, and takes up less space. A ported box is better for Rap and Hip Hop, while a sealed box is better for Rock and Alternative, which is what I listen too. Although a ported box is louder, that isn't my main concern. Is this right?

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/08 4:46 p.m.

A ported box is louder in a hatchback. A sealed box in a sedan is best regardless. The reason I built band pass style enclosures was to fit the box up to the seat better.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
11/1/08 11:48 a.m.

^I don't know where you are coming with these absolutes and something as variable as box design.............and for the record, band pass boxes are narrow range, boomy, resonance having pieces of junk, terrible terrible boxes for listening to anything other than Master P, and sealed and ported boxes still sound better for that.

Ported boxes are more effecient. Sealed boxes take more power to achieve the same volume (ie more expensive sub and amp requirement). Ported boxes can be made to be just as tight and punchy as sealed boxes, its all in the design of the box. You can't just throw X sub in generic X box and expect it to sound good. Different subs have different volume needs, port area dimensions, etc etc etc to make them sound good. You can tune ported boxes to perform in different ways and exceed at different frequencies.

ANYTHING will boom in a hatchback, it's not like a sedan where there is a firewall between the sub and interior compartment.

And after having had a sealed box and a ported box in an E30, I wouldn't bother with a sealed box, period.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
11/1/08 11:35 p.m.

Instead of spending money on heavy subwoofers; why not buy a higher quality head-unit and component speakers for the front? You'll spend roughly the same amount of money, it will still be plenty loud, the car will be faster, and you won't annoy the piss out of me with low frequency resonance at stoplights.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
11/2/08 9:08 a.m.

^Excellent contribution to the thread.

Don't forget your bran muffin and metamucil this morning either.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
11/2/08 1:21 p.m.
Helterskelter wrote: Instead of spending money on heavy subwoofers; why not buy a higher quality head-unit and component speakers for the front? You'll spend roughly the same amount of money, it will still be *plenty* loud, the car will be faster, and you won't annoy the piss out of me with low frequency resonance at stoplights.

I tried that already. Alpine CDA-7873 head unit, Kenwood speakers. It sounds ok, but the Bass is non-existent. Since this will be a daily driver, I won't really notice the extra weight of a subwoofer.

Note: I don't plan on playing horrible rap way too loud at stoplights. Those people make me want to move to Australia.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
11/2/08 2:46 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^Excellent contribution to the thread. Don't forget your bran muffin and metamucil this morning either.

There's no need to be an shiny happy person.

I've spent a fair bit of time listening and working with music. A nice set of component speakers will still have plenty of low-end punch without overwhelming the sound. I listen to loud music for several hours everyday, and I have no problem with REALLY loud music. I do however, have a problem with being at a stop-light and being able to hear nothing but low-frequency resonance coming from a car several cars ahead/behind. A car is such a small space, a large subwoofer really is not necessary.

But what do I know about music?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
11/2/08 3:08 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: ... hi-fi anymore....

Oh snap, self-dated!

njansenv
njansenv New Reader
11/2/08 5:20 p.m.

^ A stereo with sub can be VERY balanced, and is only as annoying to those outside the vehicle as the driver is inconsiderate. Few people ever knew I had a sub in the car. It was pleasantly obvious in the vehicle at low/moderate volume levels, sounded GREAT with everything from organ to classic rock, and no-one outside the vehicle heard it. (10" in vented box)

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
2/1/10 5:42 p.m.

Holy two-year-old thread, Batman!

So, I went ahead and threw the 6x9s in the back the other day. I'll start off by saying that I didn't cut any metal or cardboard in the process. I know it goes against all advice, but the improvement in sound is really noticeable. I've got it faded to the front, with good Alpine Type S's in the stock locations, with tweeters in the mirror things. The 6x9s really helped the bass, and everybody agrees that is sounds great. As a bonus, the speakers I put in weigh less than all of the enclosures/ speakers/ tweeters that used to be there.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
2/1/10 5:52 p.m.

back in the day.....jensen triaxial speakers were the way to go....6x9

irish44j
irish44j Reader
2/1/10 5:54 p.m.

6x9s will fit fine.....in your wife's car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SScV13xshuaCyjkDKmSKIIvjXTYBW9LWGqqlDyRaHRWuoEXfMsJdlTK6Haqgibpw