8/27/13 11:13 a.m.
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/27/13 11:25 a.m.

wow. Nice job!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/27/13 11:47 a.m.

Friend of mine's got a '73 Laguna with a 502, not as nice as the Chevelle; but yaberkelyhooooo!

alex
alex UberDork
8/27/13 12:22 p.m.

Nice car.

Mike Musto strikes me as a car salesman who wandered in front of a camera, though. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
8/27/13 12:40 p.m.

Let me tell you... a '74 Chevelle was my first car. The car was bigger and heavier than the <1973 cars, but the chassis wasn't. That thing ate front-end parts like nobody's business. We're talking about tie rods and ball joints every 30-40k. Yuck. Don't miss that car a bit.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/27/13 1:13 p.m.
alex wrote: Nice car. Mike Musto strikes me as a car salesman who wandered in front of a camera, though. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

He is a bit . . . creepy

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
8/27/13 2:37 p.m.

That bad arse! I'll admit I have a soft spot for the '73- '77 A bodies coupes and wagons

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/27/13 2:47 p.m.

Buddy of mine had a Laguna 454 car, it was white with red stripes. He went off of a curve on a hill outside of Camden SC at ~85 MPH, landed in a big pine tree and bowed the car so bad the doors wouldn't open although they looked perfect. Walked away from it and yes booze played a part.

There was a Pontiac Grand Am about the same vintage for sale not far from my house recently.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/27/13 8:52 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: yes booze played a part.

Sounds about right

The Laguna front end just sets it off so well.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
8/27/13 10:07 p.m.

I prefer the look of the later Laguna nose better:

In high school I had a '78 Malibu Classic. We found my best friend a '77 Classic. It was the same color combo as this one, but the silver faded it to hot rod primer grey.

His older brother nick-named it "The Primer Bullet" as a take off on the Coors Silver Bullet ads that were running all the time. A couple years later same brother totaled it. Alcohol wasn't involved, just stupidity.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
8/27/13 10:26 p.m.

I really like these cars in El Camino format. And then I remember how crazy heavy they are.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/27/13 11:58 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

That's what the big block is for!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/28/13 1:19 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I really like these cars in El Camino format. And then I remember how crazy heavy they are.

but it's also insanely easy to shed massive amounts of weight from them... there is a brace behind the front and rear bumpers that weighs about 75 pounds each- cut them down to just big enough to bolt the shiny part of the bumper (which is itself a huge piece of stamped 1/8" thick steel) to the frame and you've just taken about 130 pounds off the car...

M030
M030 Dork
8/28/13 5:13 a.m.

The car in the video was cool. The host/commentator was just annoying

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/28/13 9:47 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I really like these cars in El Camino format. And then I remember how crazy heavy they are.

Additional commentary after checking how heavy they are; ~3725lbs for a "midsize" (more like a full now) car with 5mph chromed steel bumpers isnt so bad compared to today's stuff. Whats a new impala weigh and how much damage will a 5mph bump do to it?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/28/13 12:06 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Additional commentary after checking how heavy they are; ~3725lbs for a "midsize" (more like a full now) car with 5mph chromed steel bumpers isnt so bad compared to today's stuff. Whats a new impala weigh and how much damage will a 5mph bump do to it?

i think the new Impalas are creeping up to that weight, and a 5mph collision is probably enough to show up on a Carfax report as "frame damage", but not enough to total it..

i had a rusted out 76 Monte Carlo in the early 90's that was a consistent 4200 pounds on the local grain scale- an that was after i got mad at a cop and kicked my quarter panel, which resulted in about 100 pounds of bondo, pop cans, shirts, and shop rags that had been molded into the shape of a 1/4 panel falling off in one big chunk. it was glorious...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
8/28/13 12:14 p.m.

Definitely a sweet car. I love those black wheels, and man did he fit some fat tires under it! Agree though, the host is pretty terrible.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/13 5:08 p.m.

Nice car with the proper round tail lights. But he is missing the best option which I had on my 73.

Swivel bucket seats:

t25torx
t25torx Reader
8/29/13 5:58 p.m.

Reminds me of this Hot Wheels car they came out with this year. I like it.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/29/13 6:31 p.m.
t25torx wrote: Reminds me of this Hot Wheels car they came out with this year. I like it.

yeah, i guess so... other than being a totally different body style....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/29/13 8:09 p.m.

This is a guy I went to high school with - all he talked about was Laguna's and it was funny to run into him almost 35 years later.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/30/13 7:53 a.m.

The movie Drive is what put these on my radar. Cool car... Fricken fricken fricken

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/13 8:02 a.m.

Im a fan of the early 70's Monte Carlos.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/31/13 3:13 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Im a fan of the early 70's Monte Carlos.

yes, those are cool, but they were a totally different chassis than a 73 Chevelle...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
8/31/13 3:56 p.m.

I never should have looked...there is one for sale on the next street over that last I saw they wanted $1000 for it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2O5fS1CBFJYByTdbJt3vsL9fqc8JZOdUEx3vI5jD992BkcqsvMKXA0lLSlNO2qgg