1 2
Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/27/12 8:30 p.m.

My father in law has. 97 ford f250 powerstroke that has been meticulously maintained and just suddenly won't start. They say its the ECM and that due to forced obsolescence you can't find one in the US

Is there a standalone option for the 7.3 powerstroke? Otherwise it seems a waste to scrap a perfectly good truck

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 8:43 p.m.

I seriously doubt you can't find an ECM.

The 7.3L is one of the more popular diesels ever built.

Stand alone would be a little weird. There isn't any spark or ignition to control. The ECM controls fuel pulses. But I'm sure it can be done.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/27/12 9:10 p.m.

What do you mean "won't start"? Did it run one day then the next it wouldn't? Does the tach move while cranking? What is the fuel pressure while cranking? Is the oil full or overfull? Does the glow plug relay work? Do you have a scanner capable of reading codes and datastream for this unique beast?

ECM/ECU/PCM is disco'd from Ford only because they don't service them anymore. The JY is FULL of PCM's. It really doesn't matter what it came from as long as you have the right PCM code.

<- done fixed his 97 PSD from not running to running on 7 to running on all 8.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/27/12 10:00 p.m.

Rock auto has them too for about $130-140 + core. Or I'll just take it off his hands for a good price. :)

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/27/12 10:11 p.m.

I was posting from my phone and only going off what my father in law said. Sounds like he got some bad info if his mechanic did not think they could source one.

I don't know more about it not starting than yeah just one day it wouldn't its a shop truck and sits around for a bit until its needed to tow a generator or get parts

I am seeing them on Rockauto as well for like 200 bucks

Besides if anyone is going to "take it off his hands" I want it :P

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/28/12 1:15 a.m.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.......

Anyone who has ever owned a powerstroke knows this answer.... (and I've owned several since 1994). Starts fine forever, then all of a sudden the temperature gets a bit chilly and it won't start.

PSDs have a frequent problem with glow plug relays. Take yours off, go to a NAPA store and ask for GPR104 and GPR109. Those are the two possibilities for glow plug relays. Match it up, pay your $46 and walk away.

The other, less-frequent problem is that the glow plug wires run through a connector that is part of the valve cover gasket. Test the continuity through those connectors and make sure the glow plugs are getting juice.

The "wait to start" light is a BS function of the ECM. It doesn't tell you when the glow plugs are on, it just tells you how long they should be on before you crank.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/28/12 7:56 a.m.

Find another mechanic.

If I was a betting man, I'd be completely with Curtis73 on this one.

I doubt it is your ECM, and I don't trust a mechanic who says he can't find an ECM for a Powerstroke.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/12 8:07 a.m.

Another issue could be the cam position sensor. However, that would show symptoms while driving of occasional stall and restart, but may have failed enough to prevent it from starting. Its good to have one on hand anyway.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/28/12 8:19 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Find another mechanic.

+1. Almost sounds like the same song and dance of "I don't really want to work on it." or "I have no clue on how to fix it. So lets give some BS story to make them go away."

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/28/12 8:23 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: PSDs have a frequent problem with glow plug relays. Take yours off, go to a NAPA store and ask for GPR104 and GPR109. Those are the two possibilities for glow plug relays. Match it up, pay your $46 and walk away.

Except I would go the step farther and order a Stancor 586-902 GPR. Same-ish money as any of the store brands and takes way more abuse.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/28/12 9:13 a.m.

Does the Cummins have a similar relay problem? I know it doesn't have glow plugs, but it sure gets disagreeable about starting when it starts getting chilly. Less so if I can plug it in.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/28/12 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

No, they use a heated grid on the intake air. No glow plugs.

curtis73
10/28/12 10:58 a.m.

A good way to check your GPR is to watch the volt meter, the dome lights, and/or listen to the lift pump. When you first turn the switch on, the volt meter should jump to the middle, then dip down a bit as the GPR kicks on. After a time, you'll hear the GPR click off and the voltage should recover by a few volts.

Mine is starting to fail in my 99 E350. I sometimes have to cycle the key a few times until the GPR makes good contact and actually heats the plugs. I can tell the difference by listening to my lift pump. It comes on with the key and then drags down if the GPR makes good contact.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/28/12 11:03 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Unless he has converted to e-fuel, the pump is still all mechanical. E-fuel came with the body change.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/28/12 4:37 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to Ian F: No, they use a heated grid on the intake air. No glow plugs.

I know that (did you read my post?) just wondering about the relay...

curtis73
10/28/12 5:33 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to curtis73: Unless he has converted to e-fuel, the pump is still all mechanical. E-fuel came with the body change.

Disagree. My 95 and 97 PSDs had an electric lift pump. It came about with the direct injection. (i.e. powerstroke nomenclature.)

Or maybe it was a 49-state vs. CA thing?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/28/12 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Yes, the answer is no, in my experience. Although there is a relay in the PDC, IIRC.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/28/12 5:57 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to curtis73: Unless he has converted to e-fuel, the pump is still all mechanical. E-fuel came with the body change.
Disagree. My 95 and 97 PSDs had an electric lift pump. It came about with the direct injection. (i.e. powerstroke nomenclature.) Or maybe it was a 49-state vs. CA thing?

Truck vs Van, I reckon. My F250 has a mechanical pump in the lifter valley and that is it. I only run 60psi total fuel psi, after I performed the "Cali mod". It wasn't until the body change in 98.5, that you see a framerail mounted electric pump in the "new" SuperDuty truck line.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/28/12 8:18 p.m.

This is in LA so less likely to be glow plug related? But maybe. The Mechanic is the same one that services all of my father in laws generators and semi trucks (he runs a generator rental business) so it's not some fly by night random mechanic he went to.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/28/12 9:04 p.m.

While I mean him no disrespect, I still don't trust a mechanic who can't find an ECM for this truck, even if you've had good experience with him.

It's just not that hard.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/28/12 9:49 p.m.

I wish I had more information because I agree with a little googling it just did not seem that hard. Father in law said for some reason the rock auto parts are not what is needed

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/28/12 9:57 p.m.

Unless it is the IDM, which looks like the PCM.... But even those are dime a dozen. I replaced mine with one from an 02 for $60...

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/29/12 8:56 a.m.

Apparently it has something to do with California emissions and having to match VIN numbers

yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/29/12 9:32 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Find another mechanic. I doubt it is your ECM, and I don't trust a mechanic who says he can't find an ECM for a Powerstroke.

This......either inept or will offer you a 1/3 of what its worth for a $50 fix. All the farm's 7.3L has done is kill a set of batteries and had the turbo actually back off the manifold.....

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/29/12 10:08 a.m.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f28/need-ecu-pcm-243772/

Sounds like for sure its a Cali specific thing

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7x8ENjodP2hv8wJDBN0NZbg27Hfdn6Ib2aMWFw7A82oKzaaUGeRse02FlKHFybwz