QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/24 11:47 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

3 series convertible

Rabbit Cabriolet 

Dodge Aries Convertible 

Alfa Spider

I have a white Turbo LeBaron ragtop with minimal miles that can be purchased. 

Also, I should mention, it has not been Honged or Norred in any way.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/7/24 12:15 p.m.

How is this even a question?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
6/7/24 1:18 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
APEowner said:

Why not an 80s Corvette convertible? 

I mean, I'm gonna push it. 

If you do push it with a C4 Corvette, just don't lift mid corner, especially if it's an early Z51.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/7/24 1:43 p.m.

I suppose there is another option

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
6/7/24 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

My vote as well. Easy to work on, parts availability is great, and a vert in decent shape can still be had for not the insane coupe money.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/7/24 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

That's how Tim and I solved our teen girl's first car. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/24 10:47 p.m.

Honestly, all of the 80s convertibles were a mess. Leaks, flexy chassis, lack of safety equipment, etc. I'd go for something newer with a retro vibe (New Beetle, Mini, Mustang, Wrangler, etc). 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/8/24 7:47 a.m.
Trent said:

I'd go e36 vert over e30; and have twice. Although I enjoyed the e30 a bit as well.

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/8/24 8:03 a.m.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
6/8/24 8:33 a.m.

E36 power tops were one fo the worst Rube Goldberg contraptions out there. If I were to get another E36 convertible, I'd look for a manual top one.

Caperix
Caperix Reader
6/8/24 8:35 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

The German convertibles are better built than the American convertibles of that vintage.  If you want the classic styling the e30 or rabbit/golf would be a good choice. E30 vs e36 I would say go even newer with an e46.  The interiors hold up better, the tops are more reliable & are newer without being super modern.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
6/8/24 9:27 a.m.

How about this 1888 Flocken Elektrowagen?  It's an EV so not only is it retro, but it has the modern tech we all crave.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
6/8/24 9:31 a.m.

These are plentiful, affordable, and well-supported.  They're also slow and don't have a backseat.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
6/8/24 10:48 a.m.

Getting her into targa or T-Tops unlocked a lot of rad goodness. Otherwise, spitballing some random stuff out there.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/8/24 11:34 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

E36 power tops were one fo the worst Rube Goldberg contraptions out there. If I were to get another E36 convertible, I'd look for a manual top one.

True...

winter mode

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/24 12:46 p.m.
wae said:

Took you long enough to get here smiley

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/8/24 1:30 p.m.
chandler said:
Trent said:

I'd go e36 vert over e30; and have twice. Although I enjoyed the e30 a bit as well.

I just can't fall in love with the e36. I know it is a "better" car but just like with VWs I am all in on A1, A2 and A4, with BMW it goes E21, E30 and E46.

I tried to buy an E36 M3/4/5. It was less than 10 years old and the crumbling interior plastics made me not try too hard and back out of the negotiations early.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/8/24 8:25 p.m.

Can't disagree, the door panels suck in an especially sucky way. However, they are still better cars; although I'm sure others will disagree. My 18yo daughter dailies the red one while my almost 16yo daughter has been driving the Benz coupe; wish the w124 verts were reasonable 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/9/24 8:37 a.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Honestly, all of the 80s convertibles were a mess. Leaks, flexy chassis, lack of safety equipment, etc. I'd go for something newer with a retro vibe (New Beetle, Mini, Mustang, Wrangler, etc). 

Yep, I agree with this. My BIL had a E30 325 convertible back in the late 80s that he had purchased new. So cool to look at but a flexy, leaky, bendy thing to drive. Pretty sure they have not improved over time and with more miles being put on them.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/24 5:31 p.m.

If you do go Rabbit Cabriolet, be sure to go late 80s for Bosch motronic. Would be easier to adapt to more modern EFI.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/24 6:09 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

When the CIS worked it worked very very well.

Unfortunately it does not like sitting.  And when you need to buy parts for it they are shockingly expensive.  Warmup regulators for one example are CRAZY expensive used.

Digifant II also worked very well as long as you kept it tuned to specs. 

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
6/10/24 9:44 a.m.

1990-94 Dodge Shadow | Consumer Guide Auto

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
6/10/24 12:17 p.m.

If parts  and ease of service were the same I would rather see her in a BMW cabrio than a Rabbit cabrio , just more metal around her.

And I loved my Rabbit Cabrio the summer I drove it :)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFYSBST8YCZPfWqPgD2XcrbzNclwjyO6BdS6n3uKZVrZrlZwciKmvWcL1AsF9Xu6