ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
8/28/13 6:07 p.m.

This 87 900 SPG is too nice to part and maybe not nice enough to do a resto on. Plus I have four other C900s to deal with. Maybe it needs to become a track time car. Vintage racerish... What do you folks think? Photo of a finished car and of my car included for reference.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/28/13 6:23 p.m.

Love it! Been looking for an 87 for ever. These are becoming hard to come by. I am constantly looking on CG since I owned one in the past. Looks like a solid driver to beat on for giggles.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/28/13 6:28 p.m.

That could be really cool but there aren't a ton of handling upgrades available for the platform, and you will probably be going through a lot of trannies...I wish C900s weren't getting so hard to come by, I loved the three I had.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/28/13 6:30 p.m.

Subbed for build thread.... I want to see it.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
8/28/13 6:38 p.m.

Cool street car and car in general. Not sure it would be worthwhile to turn into a track car as there are better chassis for that function.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/13 7:17 p.m.
jdbuilder wrote: Love it! Been looking for an 87 for ever. These are becoming hard to come by. I am constantly looking on CG since I owned one in the past. Looks like a solid driver to beat on for giggles.

If you are in NJ. I have an 87 Turbo that is partially apart. Has a freshly rebuilt Trans, needs the doors, hood, and hatch replaced and painted (I have the doors and hood, still need the hatch) and the complete suspension from both the 87 and a 91 (rear handbrake).

Let me know if you are interested. It has a near perfect interior too. I was intending on making it look like a pre-87. So I have the SPG kit and bumpers from that era.. also comes with performance springs, exhaust, and super aeros

Powar
Powar Dork
8/29/13 6:53 a.m.

I've done two track days in my C900 and would recommend at least trying it to anyone with a little bit of knowledge of the chassis and interest in doing so.

My modifications are very mild. Good rotors, pads, Super Blue. 15x7 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1s. Swedish Dynamics swaybars front and rear. This particular member of my collection is n/a, so I swapped on a 2.1l manifold from a later car along with the exhaust from my old '85 Turbo. It's tons of fun and was quick enough to stay interesting and fun.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/29/13 7:06 a.m.
Powar wrote: My modifications are very mild. Good rotors, pads, Super Blue. 15x7 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1s. Swedish Dynamics swaybars front and rear. This particular member of my collection is n/a, so I swapped on a 2.1l manifold from a later car along with the exhaust from my old '85 Turbo. It's tons of fun and was quick enough to stay interesting and fun. Do it. Do it. Do it.

What tire size were you running on the 15x7's? The classic 205/50 15? I'm concerned that 205 is a small tire for a car of this weight, heck it's the same size as Spec Miata's at about 60% of the weight. I was looking at cheap Aero and Bart steelies on Scummit the other day, 15x8 and trying to find a resonabley priced 225 tire.

These are less than $50 a pop in a 15x8 with 4x4.25 and 4" backspacing.

I love your Team Dynamics, but they are far more $$'s

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/29/13 7:09 a.m.

In reply to ls1fiero:

I can't see you middle pic, but you're thinking along the same lines as I am with my 88 900 turbo, non SPG, even down to the color scheme. Trouble is work seems to have stalled on mine since spring. Can't get back to work on it until honey do list is complete and honey do list keeps getting stalled due to summer.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/13 8:46 a.m.

I was VERY close to talking my brother into giving me his C900 to turn into a track car. I would say do it and as far as the trans goes change the oil in it when you change the engine oil and I would think you should be good.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
8/29/13 8:51 a.m.

Do it. I'm looking for one myself. As mentioned here previously, the trans issue is real but overstated. I know where you can get rally valved Bilstein shocks for this in the PNW, though you might be buying form a crazy man. Do it!

Powar
Powar Dork
8/29/13 8:59 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Powar wrote: My modifications are very mild. Good rotors, pads, Super Blue. 15x7 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1s. Swedish Dynamics swaybars front and rear. This particular member of my collection is n/a, so I swapped on a 2.1l manifold from a later car along with the exhaust from my old '85 Turbo. It's tons of fun and was quick enough to stay interesting and fun. Do it. Do it. Do it.
What tire size were you running on the 15x7's? The classic 205/50 15? I'm concerned that 205 is a small tire for a car of this weight, heck it's the same size as Spec Miata's at about 60% of the weight. I was looking at cheap Aero and Bart steelies on Scummit the other day, 15x8 and trying to find a resonabley priced 225 tire. These are less than $50 a pop in a 15x8 with 4x4.25 and 4" backspacing. I love your Team Dynamics, but they are far more $$'s

Yep. 205/50/15 Star Specs, which were the hot tire when I first put this setup together. No fender rolling and no rub. I also never felt under-tired, despite, as you said, these being the same tires that I have on the Miata.

I also forgot the mention the Intrax springs and Bilsteins.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
8/29/13 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson: I've been using 205/55/15 yokohama S drives on 9000 sedan wheels ( I think they are 6.75" width). I had 205/50s before, and I did feel that the diameter was to small.

I haven't done any track work, but they sure are good for hooning on back roads.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
8/29/13 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Powar: THIS x 1000. This one should be a FUN 8/10s car. I have gone over the edge before and just dont want to spend the time and money for the full on car again. Tires Brakes Suspension Harness Fun.

M030
M030 Dork
8/29/13 9:55 a.m.

In reply to jdbuilder:

There's one in my neighborhood for $200. PM me & I'll connect you with it's owner before she scraps it.

• Brian
jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/29/13 12:58 p.m.

I'm in Florida, NJ is too far... M030, you nearby?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/13 4:38 p.m.

oh well.. guess I need to put the engine back into the car then

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
8/29/13 5:32 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: oh well.. guess I need to put the engine back into the car then

What condition is the shell in? I have a lot of good bits in a shell with rust issues.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/30/13 9:25 a.m.
Powar wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
What tire size were you running on the 15x7's? The classic 205/50 15? I'm concerned that 205 is a small tire for a car of this weight, heck it's the same size as Spec Miata's at about 60% of the weight. I was looking at cheap Aero and Bart steelies on Scummit the other day, 15x8 and trying to find a resonabley priced 225 tire. These are less than $50 a pop in a 15x8 with 4x4.25 and 4" backspacing. I love your Team Dynamics, but they are far more $$'s
Yep. 205/50/15 Star Specs, which were the hot tire when I first put this setup together. No fender rolling and no rub. I also never felt under-tired, despite, as you said, these being the same tires that I have on the Miata. I also forgot the mention the Intrax springs and Bilsteins.

Where did you get your Team Dynamics?

Powar
Powar Dork
8/30/13 12:59 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Where did you get your Team Dynamics?

I bought them secondhand from a person on another forum. I'm not enough of a high roller to have bought them new.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/30/13 1:03 p.m.
Powar wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Where did you get your Team Dynamics?
I bought them secondhand from a person on another forum. I'm not enough of a high roller to have bought them new.

So they'll be even cheaper when you sell them on to me 3rd hand right? I won't even charge you for tire disposal

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7rs2Px1nsfV3V0RV8iv6N0XDkiOpp4mydOKACvY9Kq5W76IfYuor4YrhMXOmwUz1