1 2
gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/30/10 12:44 a.m.

I've lusted after the e28 M5 since 1988 and finally found one within 300 miles so I went to look at it. It was at a dealership. The story was the owner was selling it for a friend. Bottom line, it was normal wear and tear for an 88 but it had some minor surface rust issues here and there(but not all over). So I paid for it and they are fixing the rust.

it runs great. Sound like a mad nascar inline 6. I mean, it sounds downright mean. Of course it's not as fast as some modern fast cars, but it's a lot more power than Im used to. which is great. since I already have a car that handles like its on rails, with a low power engine.

Are there any issues I should be aware of? Also does anyone have any genuine 88 M5 parts they are holding on to that I might be interested in buying? I don't have a lot of bucks, but it is missing the drivers seat emblem and the passenger seat emblem is holding on by one rivet. nothing that belongs on the car is too weird for me to consider.

it does have 90k miles on it, though I hear these engines can go 200 even 300k. I am fastidious on maintinance I just cant spell it.

Thoughts please.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
8/30/10 1:00 a.m.

Awesome!

Post a few photos, when you can.

gunner
8/30/10 1:35 a.m.

ok here goes http://yfrog.com/mt082810135800j http://yfrog.com/mt082810135900j http://yfrog.com/jv082810135901j http://yfrog.com/jv082810135902j http://yfrog.com/jv082810135903j

well crap that didn't work. at least you can check the links. sorry, it's late.

7pilot
7pilot New Reader
8/30/10 3:59 a.m.

Congrats. The first thing I would recommend is to install new rod bearings ASAP. 90k miles is low , but this usually means that the car spends a lot of time with the bearings stewing in acidic oil. this tends to etch erode the rod bearings and wear is accelerated. Imo, this should fend off the very expensive rebuild that ensues after a spun rod bearing.

m

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/30/10 5:58 a.m.

Looks nice! Not many of those driving around my area.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/30/10 6:09 a.m.

Man thats awesome! I am still waiting for the right opportunity to get behind the wheel of my dream car. Hope you dont mind if I live vicariously through you for a decade or so...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
8/30/10 6:17 a.m.

That looks very nice!!

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
8/30/10 6:40 a.m.

Me likey.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
8/30/10 6:49 a.m.

I have driven one of those a couple of times (friend owned one). It is what has driven me to find the 535i that I am about to drop money on. Condition fairly close to your M5, but without the surface rust.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/10 6:55 a.m.

Very nice.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/10 7:40 a.m.

You might want to edit that photo file...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/30/10 7:45 a.m.

Congratulations! The seat back emblems are still available from BMW and aren't expensive. I'd recommend joining the forums at www.mye28.com, it's the meeting place for e28 5 series cars including the M5. There's a lot of information available there, including the best places to buy parts.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
8/30/10 7:47 a.m.

me likey . . . . Nice score!!

gunner
8/30/10 8:25 a.m.
Woody wrote: You might want to edit that photo file...

no kidding! more views of my sidearm than the M5. you guys are just sick! ;)

gunner
8/30/10 8:28 a.m.
7pilot wrote: Congrats. The first thing I would recommend is to install new rod bearings ASAP. 90k miles is low , but this usually means that the car spends a lot of time with the bearings stewing in acidic oil. this tends to etch erode the rod bearings and wear is accelerated. Imo, this should fend off the very expensive rebuild that ensues after a spun rod bearing. m

Thanks for the heads up on the rod bearings. I'll check on that as soon as I get the car in hand.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/10 8:53 a.m.

One of those is on my Bucket List, very nice.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/30/10 9:26 a.m.

Nice - I'm jealous. I bought a 535i this spring for my challenge car. An extra 100 hp and better suspension is just what I need. x2 on the mye28.com site. A lot of knowledge and parts sources.

gunner
8/30/10 12:31 p.m.

Roger that on mye28.com I just registered this morning.

I wasn't even looking for this when I found it, being as that they are relatively unobtainable in this shape for the money I had available.

I had decided on a 3 or 5 series with a 6 or an 8 and had to be a manual with 3 pedals. I don't understand the thought behind the automanual. Thats an auto that I would play race driver with for the first minute of ownership then never use again. no thanks.

there were none of the above in my immediate area. but when I expanded the area to include st louis and kansas city, several showed up including the M5. When I saw it I had to take a serious look so I called em and put a deposit on it sight unseen. I'm glad I did. It's my favorite body style of BMW. incidentally I found it on autotrader.com. Thats one to mark off my own bucket list. Crazy when the planets alight like that, I'm just glad they did.

paanta
paanta New Reader
8/30/10 1:23 p.m.
gunner wrote: there were none of the above in my immediate area. but when I expanded the area to include st louis and kansas city, several showed up including the M5. When I saw it I had to take a serious look so I called em and put a deposit on it sight unseen. I'm glad I did. It's my favorite body style of BMW. incidentally I found it on autotrader.com. Thats one to mark off my own bucket list. Crazy when the planets alight like that, I'm just glad they did.

You put a deposit on an S38 powered BMW sight unseen. I'm going to just smile about that for a minute. I'm NOT the craziest person on earth!

It's rare for one to go to 200K without needing work on the head. Bottom ends are stout. Rebuilds are in the $10K-$12K range so you want to be really nice to the engine. Stay on top of valve adjustments. Replace those timing chain guides. Be religious about oil changes and warming it up before letting it run. They are awesome engines but need a little attention.

Otherwise, it'll probably need the usual front end bushing rebuilds, a guibo, etc. Normal E28 stuff.

bentvalve
bentvalve New Reader
8/30/10 1:46 p.m.

That was my favorite car for a long time. I would still love to have one someday. God that's a long list, I hope I'm reincarnated.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
8/30/10 2:55 p.m.

I wanted one of those so bad but i settled on a '87 535is. Congrats on the car and welcome to E28 family!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds New Reader
8/30/10 5:51 p.m.

Good get.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/30/10 7:06 p.m.

I saw a cherry black M5, same vintage, in Seattle the other day. Looked like the guy drove it 3 times a year, if that. Beautiful car -- enjoy yours! An hour later I saw a Lambo and a Ferrari; must be something wrong with me cuz I wasn't nearly as interested in the Italian stuff.

gunner
8/31/10 10:00 p.m.

paanta-just the info I was looking for, thanks sir! whats a guibo?

Thanks guys! I am now halfway between ecstasy that it's mine, and horror that the engine will blow on the drive home. So about normal.

There's an independent BMW shop about 4 blocks from where I work that at least one of them autocrosses a first gen M3 and someone there drives a wicked looking black 80's 6 series. Alas I haven't met them personally yet. Thats where I'm taking it when I get it, to have them look it over. I know it needs stuff, just not sure what. It seems to be taken care of, just used well. I wasn't sure what I was looking at with the rear suspension, but it's possible the leveling suspension has been removed and replaced with bilstein sports. I'll have to take a closer look when I get it back.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
9/1/10 7:05 a.m.
gunner wrote: So I paid for it and they are fixing the rust.

Dealer fixing rust?? Consider the rust 'not fixed'. I do like the car though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MpT8lEATKoJ7bH85Qb7QQaUzFBuFxksV88iNzWqwPwlFmQRYgUCZcUU2i3y9sR1a