03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/9/24 1:39 p.m.

Not sure of appropriate place for a tech question, so I'll drop it here. 
Aside from the obvious humor (although they are welcome) this is my first rear end (cue the snare drum)

Can't upload a picture, so the actual question will have to wait

I loaded my cop car parts donor onto the trailer today, to get it out of the weeds, it's been in for 4 years. I need the rear sway bar. 
Knew the rear end had been disassembled, and the drivers side axle does not stay in place. Just now saw the ring and pinion and open carrier are still in place. Can't tell what parts are missing, but I'm assuming spider gears. There is simply open space inside the carrier, and I'm not sure what holds the axles in! 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 1:45 p.m.

The 8.8 is a c clip axle. Pull the lock screw that holds the center pin (get pissed when the lock bolt snaps. They make a kit to drill it out and re-tap it without pulling the center.). Pull the pin. Slide the axle in. Pull the C clip. Remove the axle. If all of those parts are missing there is nothing to hold the axle in place. 

This picture is with the center pin removed and the axle pushed in so you can see the C clip. 

C-Clip Eliminators For Your Rear Axle - The Ranger Station

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/9/24 2:00 p.m.

Yes, pin prevents the axle from sliding in and letting the C clip fall out, clip pushes spider gear, spider gear pushes carrier, axle stays put.  All pieces are necessary to retain the axle.  Unless you make the axle a press fit and jam it in to the bearing, that will hold it for pushing around the yard.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/9/24 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Yep. That is the exact picture of the parts that are missing! And was my assumption of what it should be. 
But I've only changed gear oil in a few, and wasn't positive. 
I'll probably pull the aluminum driveshaft before I roll it off the trailer, and see what the ratio is. If 3.55 (probably 3.27) I'll pull the gears for redoing mine, later. Then I won't need to be under it for many more years!!!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/9/24 2:25 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I just remembered, haveing trouble getting the small bolts that hold that pin in place on a GM ten bolt. Since I have that to a friend, instead of swapping into my (then DD) Malibu wagon, I totally forgot I'd been in there!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eMrqa9Pzs2UtJMHj30Gh7YcqL85ZMZ0FYUOlmqYwigMGshUUlRPO96NlWUGruhdw