1 2
sanman
sanman Reader
5/11/11 9:59 p.m.

That gen supra has the 7m-gte engine. Those engines, turbo and non-turbo, have a tendency to blow head gaskets due to incorrect torque spec on the head bolts. There are aftermarket solutions out there (better gaskets, ARP studs) but it can get expensive if you are having a mechanic use it. That said, my cousin drove a non-turbo to 207k and sold it without the head gasket being an issue. The 4a is the 4age that was in the first gen mr2 and the ae86/ae92 corolla gts coupe. There was also a supercharged version in the MR2 (4agze).The 5sfe in the mr2 yo uare looking at is the same engine as in many camrys, celicas, etc. of that era and pretty solid. Though I believe someone here once mentioned an issue with the oil pump o-ring.

Corytate, I agree with you about the 4age or the 5sfe, but sw20's are so pretty. Closest I will likely ever get to owning an f355

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
5/11/11 10:25 p.m.
moxnix wrote: Second Gen MR2's do very well in ES. There are some years that are thought to be better because of wheel size availability? but locally any second gen can do well.

'93 hardtop is the MR2 to have in E Stock, but any SW20 can do well. The '91 and '92 have 14" wheels, so you're stuck with that in E Stock. Only real problem is it's tough to find lightweight wheels, so you usually end up on the very heavy stockers.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 7:41 a.m.

4a = short for the 4age motor

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/12/11 8:45 a.m.

I hate threads like this---they make me go looking for a 93-95 hardtop again.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 9:38 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I hate threads like this---they make me go looking for a 93-95 hardtop again.

Yes.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
5/12/11 9:46 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I hate threads like this---they make me go looking for a 93-95 hardtop again.

It's not a big problem 'cause you'll never actually find one.

Soma007
Soma007 Reader
5/12/11 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

Bring it! I always want more competition in E Stock.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/12/11 10:26 a.m.

Nah, I've sworn off stock class.

sanman
sanman Reader
5/12/11 12:15 p.m.

Per, don't want you doing something you regret. So, if you find a rust free hardtop for a decent price, I am willing to take it off your hands . Ain't I just the nicest guy?

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
5/12/11 1:02 p.m.
lmnr wrote: In reply to Matt B: the guy apparently said that the engine was swapped and only has 140k something but i have a budget of like 3.5k and with the rest maybe i could fix that or id be way too much?

It's not the engine I'd be worried about (although a swap is not always a good thing either, but that's another can of worms). The chassis looks like it might be so fubar'd from whatever it hit that it's not worth fixing and I doubt $1500 is going to do the job anyway. If you want a nice street car look elsewhere. If you want a track beater it might be cheap enough to be disposable.

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
5/13/11 11:40 a.m.

How do these fair in terms of headroom? sunroof vs. t-top vs. hardtop?? is it comparable to a miata, or more or less?

sanman
sanman Reader
5/13/11 2:52 p.m.

I find them more roomy than anything besides an NC miata. However, I don't own one so it has been a while since I sat in them.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
5/13/11 3:31 p.m.
carczar_84 wrote: How do these fair in terms of headroom? sunroof vs. t-top vs. hardtop?? is it comparable to a miata, or more or less?

I'm 5' 11". I have T Tops. I drove my friend's '91 hardtop and had to recline the seat further than I like for autocross to fit with my helmet. It worked, but I'm more comfortable with the T Tops and probably drive better. I don't have P/S and really like to be "up on the wheel".

Leg room, if it matters, is outstanding. I've seen some really tall guys drive SW20s with no problem.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nFPHmVbn16nGZbadmponVTMXagZMmqZHwQeGNezEHCXvb2Rj4OjhFsW9Jq4hVaxb