1 2
RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/12/15 7:14 a.m.

If you're willing to pay $4k for a 2wd, just come up to Wisconsin, they are better priced up here. We sold our '98 Classic (4x4, 4.0 auto, nice and clean but needed to be used as it was sitting under our ownership) for $2500.

What about this: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4831165094.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/12/15 7:26 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: In reply to bmw88rider: That is one perverted Jeep!

It's a much easier swap than you'd think. Automatic Supras and XJs have transmissions from the same family. R154 bellhousing bolts onto the AW4 body.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/12/15 7:47 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

So what you're saying is that an AWD/4WD supra is an easy swap?!?!?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/12/15 7:55 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: So what you're saying is that an AWD/4WD supra is an easy swap?!?!?

I don't know that i'd go THAT far.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/15 8:08 a.m.

$4K will buy you a decent Grand Cherokee around here, and a really nice XJ. Higher miles and a life in the salt, but still.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/12/15 8:30 a.m.

If we are talking Jeep purchase with trade in of Lincoln then we are talking Used Car Lot. And, not just Used Car Lot but Used Car Lot at Tax Time. You know, that time of year where they jack up all the priced and exploit the unsuspecting.

If at all possible, buy via private party.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
1/12/15 8:58 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

That's a good point but I put the eyeball on this particular XJ back in September, I believe. And Yes, it is on a used car stealership lot.

I'm definitely keeping my options open for now but, I'm pretty much dead set on getting an XJ Cherokee. I came really close to getting a nice, cheap '98 Grand Cherokee 4X4 a while back but the possibility of transmission issues scared me off.

I'll see if I can dig up the thread where I first mentioned it...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/15 10:31 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

There were several listed on the Chambana craigslist - that just seemed like a decent one for a low price. You might want to check out the rest though.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/12/15 11:03 a.m.

Big fan of the Cherokees in 4wd. Had a 96 with nice tires and it was moderately unstoppable.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/12/15 1:37 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I'm going to be honest. Just look for a 4x4 Cherokee. Don't get you're heart set on that 2WD one. The first good snow and you're going to wish you got a 4x4.

They're also going to get the same mileage. Plus, if you decide to sell it in the future, it will sell way easier than a 2WD XJ.

That being said, I love my '95. I've put that thing to the test and it's got me through our bipolar Midwest winter without missing a beat. I have horrible street tires (General Grabber AW) and that thing still pulls like a locomotive through the snow in 4WD.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/12/15 1:39 p.m.

The best thing about a 4x4 Cherokee with an NP231 T-case is that WHEN you get stuck (not IF), you can get yourself out of damn near anything.

If you don't have a t-case, you won't be able to get out of anything WHEN you get stuck.

Seriously. These things are completely awful in snow in 2wd form. Fun if you don't have to get anywhere. No fun if you do.

However, if the roads are bad enough that you can run in 4wd all the time, your mind will be completely boggled at what these things will do. My entire neighborhood is one sheet of ice because of melting snow and huge rain downpour in 28 degree weather last night.

Had a hard time getting out of my downhill-sloped driveway in 2wd.

Threw it in 4wd, and drove out of the entire neighborhood. Felt damn near like i was driving on dry pavement in summer. Everytime one of our Cherokees does something like this, my brain cannot comprehend.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/12/15 1:42 p.m.

Haha, there's been a couple places I didn't want to go in bad snow and I still got there. I didn't try hard enough to get stuck I guess.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/12/15 2:15 p.m.

I have worn no-name brand hockey pucks as "tires" on my 98. "Pulls like a locomotive" sounds about right.

Lights up the rears in rain or dry pavement by accident all the time. (So bad it'll spin through 3rd in the rain.)

But in 4wd? I can't get the damn thing to slip in snow.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/12/15 2:42 p.m.

Yep don't know what it is, it just goes.

I remember the time Pseudosport and I took his stock '94 2-door to Badlands and had no problem climbing hills with a group of lifted Wranglers. Those guys were nice helping us through the tight trails, on the top of the hills, but they were a bit miffed as to how we were staying with them. We has to stop once boulders became part of the trail.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/12/15 3:08 p.m.

The only 2wd XJ to buy is the 4 cylinder 5 speed version. If you go 4.0 you might as well get 4wd with it.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/15 4:42 p.m.

I had a '93 2 door XJ 2wd for a bit. It was surprisingly fast. I could light up the rear with ease and had to be cognizant when driving in the rain. It weighed just a tick over 2800 lbs. I can only imagine what that 2jz swapped XJ is like

I paid $1300. It had rust issues but ran like a top even with 265k miles on it.

I'm absolutley certain that if I would of found a 4wd, I'd still have it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/12/15 5:24 p.m.

Yeah my 98 is a 2dr 5spd 4.0. Good for hurting ricer feelings. Hilariously quick at any rpm in 2nd gear.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/12/15 5:53 p.m.

Wow, that's expensive. I can find Cherokees for around $1500 where I live. But I'd keep the Mark-series. It's just a unique type of luxury that you do not see anymore.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/12/15 6:10 p.m.

E36 M3, my '95 is a 4.0L Auto, it has 3.55s and that thing scoots.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/12/15 6:22 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Don't compare US and Canadian used vehicle prices. They pay WAY more than we do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8cbOreyDU9uVQH3PmLLJDvjzfE2T8uTdC8tOYL8MlT6bN8nVumwa3oRyaRZY66UJ