http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPQ2_CHNvgo

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
2/24/09 10:14 p.m.

file under, "who cares, must buy anyway"

aircooled
aircooled Dork
2/24/09 10:57 p.m.

I have heard repairs can be insane on those things.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
2/24/09 11:02 p.m.

If it were 250 miles instead of 2500 it would be mine

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/24/09 11:16 p.m.

uhg.

That said, I've never seen that show, but it has a discovery logo. What gives?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/24/09 11:40 p.m.

I rather like those BBS wheels...don't rightly know what he is knackin' on about.

skullsroad
skullsroad New Reader
2/25/09 1:32 a.m.

The show is Europe only. Discovery "Turbo" or something like that.

After I saw the post I went searching for upgrades and found 928motorsports.com. Suspension actually isn't very expensive. A clutch (what this car needs) is very expensive. Seems like a fun car but I've heard they're porky GT cruisers and not real performers.

maroon92: I liked the BBS wheels as well.

PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
2/25/09 5:37 a.m.

I had an 86 928S and it really wasn't a bad car.

It wasn't supercar-fast, but it wasn't the big, fat, porky monster most magazines make them out to be. I had MSDS headers on mine and it sounded MEAN (like Small Block Chevy meets AMG Mercedes, if that makes any sense)

It handled well, it was expensive to fix (parts), but really not so D-I-Y unfriendly as they might have you believe - I did a lot of the repairs myself. Yes, it was a complicated car, but most modern cars are complicated, too.

I really liked mine, but that being said, I wouldn't replace my Boxster with one.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
2/25/09 7:08 a.m.

Inspired by this:

Tony Montana

RossD
RossD New Reader
2/25/09 7:21 a.m.

That show is on in the states because I just watched it last night, just on the Discovery HD Theater (or at least one of the HD discovery channel. The two guys are in a couple different shows; all on discovery HD) Does that V8 fit/bolt in a 911?

audifan
audifan New Reader
2/25/09 8:12 a.m.

928 is a great car not an auto xer but a great car and if you can rub the benjamins together and come up w enough scratch to buy a 1995 928 gts in manual you have encountered the holy grail. brutally fast with the rumble soundtrack to go with it. Most 928 freaks will try to talk you out of them cause they want them all to themselves! If you can find a euro car that is the way to go for the older ones (5 speed is an understood) also the later eighties 928s4 is a great car that can be had for cheap as well. But if you are gonna wrench on it your self you need to have your head on straight they are complex but if you understand porsches or german you will probably be ok good luck

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
2/25/09 8:36 a.m.

I dont think i would buy a dead one for $1600, but a nice one would probably be fine. There is a point where cars like that arent really ever going to be useable again, at least without a huge amount of work, time and money.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
2/25/09 9:37 a.m.

"can be driven to Nearish destination."

Oh man, I have to use that in a used car ad before I die.....

Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
2/25/09 11:59 a.m.

Ha, ha! It says "berkeley" in that ad!

RossD
RossD New Reader
2/25/09 12:07 p.m.
Fritz_the_Cat wrote: Ha, ha! It says "berkeley" in that ad!

I thought he had sensored something at first.

ronbros
ronbros New Reader
2/25/09 7:02 p.m.

YANK the engine and put a GM LS series engine in ,simple to work on and tons of aftermarket stuff,, Very reliable Too. most likly faster also. Ron

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/25/09 8:08 p.m.

Three of them ran the 79 Cannonball. Can't be all that bad if you can use it to go coast to coast in 37 and a half hours.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
2/25/09 8:28 p.m.

I've wanted one of those since I was about seven years old. I saw a red one flying down a little country road in the middle of corn field country in Indiana. If I had any money and it was closer it would be mine.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
2/25/09 8:45 p.m.

Didn't GRM just do a buyer's guide on these? A year, maybe 2 ago?

I drove one (older 4 spd) a short distance in the city many years ago, I remember 2nd pulled real good. I've heard them reffered to as "German Corvettes".

skruffy
skruffy Dork
2/26/09 9:32 a.m.

It's a coupe with a separate air conditioning system for the rear passengers. That should give you a clue as to how ungodly complicated they are.

I used to work on Porsches for a living and I've only seen one 928 move under it's own power. Most of them are automatics and in terrible condition. I've never seen a nice one in person, though I'm sure they exist. Somewhere... Germany maybe?

edit: I'd bet there's a real nice one in that new porsche museum.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
2/26/09 9:39 a.m.

I'm with ronbros... they are cheap enough and old enough to make for a good LSx swap when/if the engine dies... turnkey kits available...

I'd sure stay away from automatics though...

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
2/26/09 11:58 a.m.

They're easy enough to work on, even the four-cam cars. I had a 16v '84 S and an '87 S4, both five-speeds. I do loooooove the dogleg gearboxes :) Somehow it just makes sense to have first off and down, especially in that car. Anyway, My S4, I miss it terribly. I didn't have the rear air, but it was an M474 sport suspension car with partial leather. It was awesome. It was like a 15-year earlier E46 M3. About 3400lbs, 318hp, great, great, great driving car.

I really don't miss many of the 70+ cars I've owned, but that one, I miss the most. I never should have sold it. And I sold it to buy an E30 M3! Man, I miss that car.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
2/26/09 2:58 p.m.

Well, here's my 928 story. Remember the actor Rick Manetti from Magnum P.I.? He was a common customer of a restaurant I used to work at in the 80's when in high school. One day, his 928 would not start. I remember him saying something to the effect of 'damn, not again, I'm sick of this sh*t'. But he was a good tipper.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
2/26/09 3:01 p.m.

Forgot to add this. Tom Selleck purchased a 928 for all the major actors on the show....should have become an actor.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
2/26/09 3:22 p.m.
skruffy wrote: It's a coupe with a separate air conditioning system for the rear passengers. That should give you a clue as to how ungodly complicated they are. I used to work on Porsches for a living and I've only seen one 928 move under it's own power. Most of them are automatics and in terrible condition. I've never seen a nice one in person, though I'm sure they exist. Somewhere... Germany maybe? edit: I'd bet there's a real nice one in that new porsche museum.

A fellow BSCC member had a white '85 S with an automatic. Called it his grocery getter. pristine car, and ungodly fast on both an autocross track and out at Seattle International. Back when I had my 9811s and was a member of the PCA, guys like him were out at track days regularly in 928s that were also their daily drivers, and some already had over 200k miles on them.

I would have no problem with an automatic in one of these, as I think the Mercedes unit used might be less troublesome than the multiple clutch setup on the manuals.

I've seen a ton of nice ones, and two years ago, when I bought my 740iL, I almost picked up an S4 for similar money that was also in gorgeous condition. Unfortunately, practicality won out over another toy, as the back seats, like most Porsches, are just there for looks, not to actually use.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VuLBCJ2jXUhQ7pf0yV5n3mlPCvmTz0yk2Z3PWwIMeDquu2q4LRc5BByItQS0INYo