mbmsg
mbmsg New Reader
12/31/15 3:56 p.m.

So I find this sled on Craigslist, he says I had the clutch done yr ago and have receipt, however IMS was done by previous owner i say without a receipt I have to assume it wasn't done and offer 8k. He is asking 16k, its real clean and could be had for a little lower but probably not the 8k I offered.

Is there anyway to tell from looking at motor if the car had the IMS bearing upgraded? Or do you have to tear into it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/15 4:04 p.m.

Miles?

My brother in law got one this fall with 33k miles, no IMS repair, for $20k. He stole it (from a hedge fund buddy who didn't care how much he got).

Your offer will likely be ignored.

mbmsg
mbmsg New Reader
12/31/15 4:12 p.m.

50k miles. he called me and we talked for about 5 minutes on Tuesday he's moving and wants it gone.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/15 4:24 p.m.

If it is an LN Engineering IMS Retrofit, they ask for the VIN on their warranty form, so you might be able to confirm through them that they at least sold a kit for that car.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/15 4:27 p.m.

In reply to mbmsg:

If it has the IMS Solution, you should be able to see the external oil feed tube to the IMS bearing.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/31/15 4:33 p.m.

Figure $3000 for the IMS/RMS and clutch while you're in there. $8k is stealing it. Honestly his asking price of $16k is fair, you're really trying to put him over a barrel with your offer.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/31/15 4:39 p.m.

Only way to determine if it's had an IMS replacement requires pulling the transmission. Depending on who did the clutch, they would have checked the IMS - IIRC the early dual-row ones aren't as susceptible to self-destruction as the later single row ones. 50k miles is still kinda danger territory for the OEM bearing but there is a good chance that it's fine.

Mind you, if the seller doesn't have records showing regular oil changes every 5-6k with high quality oil, I would walk. The IMS bearing, while being the Internet's favourite 996 engine scare story, isn't the only problem you can get into with one of these. A lot of the problems that we encountered with the engine in mine were due to oil changes at factory intervals. It would've been fine most likely if previous owners had halved the factory oil change intervals.

My wallet still bears the scars of the engine refresh on mine, and the one thing that didn't need touching was the IMS bearing. Of course we changed it anyway, it wasn't like it was going to make a big impact on the overall financial damage.

I also agree that your offer is likely to be either ignored or you'll be invited to go procreate elsewhere with varying degrees of politeness. With that mileage, that's at least 15k-16k car even at this time of year, and at that price level (assuming there's nothing else wrong with it) it doesn't matter if the IMS bearing has been done or not. It's different if the seller was asking $20k, but he isn't. Also, the IMS bearing isn't an $8k job...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGrDuJAVjP5DBFn2ztaUmgJx12rTYHLNYM1lw01ZbmS6w8QJsiGGVjJU4oTcBv7e