1 2 3 4 ... 6
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/26/18 7:59 a.m.

Why do I have an overwhelming desire to get one of these and do it up like an old DTM/Touring car?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/26/18 8:10 a.m.
poopshovel again said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

If I was doing a v8 swap on this I’d consider a big blow I’m not sure the fit but I’m sure the v12 takes up lots and most like more room then the big block. Plus if it’s a complete car you will have a turbo 400 transmission there. A new adaptor plate etc would be needed. Hmmm maybe a Cadillac 500 in a jag tha would be a neat combo.

While I’m assuming you meant “big block,” I like the idea of “big blower” even more.

I've wanted an XJS with a big GMC 8-71 through the hood too. For some reason, I want to paint the blower body colored to add an inappropriate attempt at making it subtle.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/26/18 8:43 a.m.

The idea of 12 little hater pipes straight up through the hood makes me giggle.

Pete

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
7/26/18 8:47 a.m.

Doing a V8 swap still won't prevent the windows from randomly falling out of their tracks while you're stopped at an intersection.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/18 8:59 a.m.
M2Pilot said:

Doing a V8 swap still won't prevent the windows from randomly falling out of their tracks while you're stopped at an intersection.

The windows are built for a top fuel dragster, to fix that all you have to do is grease the distrubter points. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 9:32 a.m.
poopshovel again said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

If I was doing a v8 swap on this I’d consider a big blow I’m not sure the fit but I’m sure the v12 takes up lots and most like more room then the big block. Plus if it’s a complete car you will have a turbo 400 transmission there. A new adaptor plate etc would be needed. Hmmm maybe a Cadillac 500 in a jag tha would be a neat combo.

While I’m assuming you meant “big block,” I like the idea of “big blower” even more.

Perhaps subconsciously I was thinking of a xjs version of the roadkill draguar lol

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 9:43 a.m.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
7/26/18 9:44 a.m.

I always liked these, hope you get it and teach us all about it.   I heard the engine has basically 2 separate injection systems, so it might run on one bank of 6, but I could be wrong.

There does seem to be a lot of complex stuff under the hood.   I had a Porsche 928 and that seemed simpler. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/26/18 10:32 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP said:

I always liked these, hope you get it and teach us all about it.   I heard the engine has basically 2 separate injection systems, so it might run on one bank of 6, but I could be wrong.

There does seem to be a lot of complex stuff under the hood.   I had a Porsche 928 and that seemed simpler. 

That's the way old BMW V12s were in the 8 series. Basically two M20s put together, two ECUs, etc. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/18 11:44 a.m.
z31maniac said:
TED_fiestaHP said:

That's the way old BMW V12s were in the 8 series. Basically two M20s put together, two ECUs, etc. 

4 ecus. one for each bank, one combiner computer, and one trans computer. So maybe 3.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/18 11:46 a.m.

If you get it and get rid of the v12 there might be people here who want it.

How great would it be to Jag v12 swap a car that was factory SBC or LS?

v12 + megasquirt + e85 + boost sounds fun in an american muscle car

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/18 12:00 p.m.
z31maniac said:
TED_fiestaHP said:

Basically every v12 developed in the 80's and 90's ran on 2 ECU's. Megasquirt can fix that now. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
7/26/18 1:17 p.m.

Lemons had a good one. XJS V12 - put 345 width tires on it if I recall correctly. He said it handled like a 4000lb Miata.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 1:36 p.m.
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/26/18 1:44 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Pete

Thank You!

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 1:44 p.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/26/18 1:48 p.m.

Is that a snare drum on the back?

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/26/18 2:06 p.m.

What I found frightening was when Hert from Hoonigan bought a scruffy FD3S RX-7, the previous owner was a Jaguar master mechanic who was selling it because "he was tired of tinkering with it." When a car is so fiddly that a Jag mechanic gets tired of it.... surprise

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 2:36 p.m.
NOHOME said:
NOHOME said:

Pete

Thank You!

Quoting because there is a boatload of awesome in that picture. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 2:38 p.m.

My grandfather had a car almost exactly like that when he died. His might have been an '86. It was a great tourer and I really enjoyed driving it. I seem to recall it cost him about $1k/month to keep it running in 1992.

When he died, I tried to convince the family I should have it as my first car. I was declined, so I bought a Miata instead. Probably worked out for the best.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
7/26/18 2:45 p.m.

Very fast Google-fu tells me that there are intake manifolds out there to convert at least some of the Jag V-12's to dual four-barrel setups.  Not sure what fun it would be to get the linkage setup to drive them both... In any case, this seems like a major step in getting these cars simplified and more reliable.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/26/18 2:56 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Snare drum? Pfft... that's a BASS drum! Why, I do not know. 

This has to be a Gambler car. There's no other explanation. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/26/18 3:04 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:
NOHOME said:

There is another explanation, Clarkson and Top Gear Special

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 3:10 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:
NOHOME said:

That’s Jeremy clarkson top gear India special they did host a party that they were playing music in the episode 

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
7/26/18 3:16 p.m.
dculberson said:

Lemons had a good one. XJS V12 - put 345 width tires on it if I recall correctly. He said it handled like a 4000lb Miata.

If I recall correctly, these guys got the car to run pretty decent.  Pendejo Racing IIRC.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R498ZFjTAU1cTjJCIFeSjC7YM7sULUzBT033Y6W0NfLhd2KZStfCzDnbJ4EhndvA