chapel
chapel New Reader
9/21/12 8:57 a.m.
feature_image

how does it shift anyway? That gaiter looks awful... it's so... tight.

Read the rest of the story

2ndstorer
2ndstorer New Reader
9/21/12 9:00 a.m.

I cannot wait to see what you do with this thing. Mine was totalled last month and I miss it. Trying to find another V6 manual around here is proving to be difficult. Have fun!

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/21/12 9:12 a.m.

I love you guys, please leave child car seats strapped in the rear for all events and pictures. Maybe stick a nitrous bottle in each one just for extra lol-factor.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/21/12 9:22 a.m.

I can't wait to see the avalanche of hate-mail this will generate. Should be one heck of a sleeper.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
9/21/12 9:42 a.m.

We hear the following excuse a lot: "I can't do trackdays or autocross because I've got XYZ, which isn't a sports car." We're here to say that you can go fast and have fun on track with just about anything. Even a family sedan that your Memaw drives can be a ton of fun out on track.

To prove this point, we bought a 1999 Camry that we found on Craigslist for $2700. It's a somewhat odd combination of the V6 engine and a five-speed transmission, but many of the modifications that we'll be doing can work on the four-cylinder or automatic versions.

Our plan is to fix a few small issues, baseline the car at a few events and then spend about $2000 making it a fun and competent track car. Our total investment will be less than $5000.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
9/21/12 9:48 a.m.

I can't wait until this thing goes up for sale. :-)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/12 10:59 a.m.

I see a little of the old GRM in this one, can't wait.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/12 11:38 a.m.

My '92 V6 5spd combo was surprisingly competent on the track.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
9/21/12 2:41 p.m.

I didn't even know it was possible to get a Camry with a manual transmission.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed Reader
9/21/12 4:20 p.m.

Niiiiiiiiicccccceeeee.... Watching this with interest.

RobVN
RobVN New Reader
9/21/12 4:40 p.m.

I have one of these puppies. Eibach pro springs, Tokico blues, front strut brace, cold air intake, TRD sway bar and exhaust. 134,000 miles so far.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
9/22/12 1:00 a.m.

Excellant idea. Subscribed.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/22/12 8:19 a.m.

love this plan

FMK
FMK New Reader
9/22/12 8:51 a.m.

hmmm. maybe it's time order that camry my company offers for a company car...

Javi
Javi
10/31/12 10:03 a.m.

Cool! Recent life changes forced me to look for a cheap, reliable, practical sedan with bland looks, so I figured why completely sell my soul and not go with something with a manual V6? Couldn't find a Camry but ended with an '05 Altima. It doesn't have the Camry's understated looks or maybe reliability but the VQ35DE's extra 56 hp make up for it :) Keeping my eye on this project for inspiration.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dGbkTnEv69kgXLVYP9o1gYMdOzRdVaHuoJVNcKw3VRplBlM7WnCChOhPkmCze9gO