vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/24 6:36 p.m.

Our local clubs had a show today. There was a lot of military, but I focused on my area of interest. Good outcome for me with a couple of GRM builds.

Here's a teaser:

*Not mine. Huge scale. Maybe two feet?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/24 10:09 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I'm pretty sure that was a Heller kit.  I remember seeing something similar to that in a hobby shop when I was a kid but it was way more than I could spend.  

Next Saturday there's a big model car show in New Jersey.  If I'm not working I may head down there. 

https://www.nnleast.com/

4/20/24 10:44 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Lots of talk about NNLEast today. I'll be auto crossing.

Here's another pic.

I'll pepper this thread with more pics tomorrow and my results showing 7 of my own builds.

4/21/24 3:51 p.m.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/21/24 3:54 p.m.

Respect for the primer black c4 vette.  .

4/21/24 3:55 p.m.

And winner of the open/closed wheel competition 1:24/25 scale class?

My Cale Yarborough Holly Farms NASCAR Monte Carlo I built for the Daytona speed weeks build during the pandemic. I was totally shocked. There were some incredible builds in that class.

My Datsun 240z Corvette Summer build finished third in its class. Cool drift car was well detailed.

4/21/24 3:59 p.m.

There were builders from Canada, NH, NY and elsewhere. Almost 300 entries from figures, to military, and everything in between.

4/21/24 4:00 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Easily one of my favorite builds. A shame most people there didn't understand what it is.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/21/24 6:20 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Easily one of my favorite builds. A shame most people there didn't understand what it is.

I feel like we have all known a guy with that car and it was always a beast.  Ran the hills up north with a guy that had a primer black c4 that was a absolute monster. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/21/24 6:23 p.m.

The stock car is my favorite.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa Reader
4/21/24 10:55 p.m.

Did you show pictures of the completed "sucker Corvette" to Stoyan Lokar and the other P&G engineers who created it?

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
4/22/24 3:45 a.m.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
4/22/24 6:48 a.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/22/24 7:19 a.m.

I built tons of models as a kid, but I could only dream of the level of realism shown above.  Now, in retirement I have a shelf full of unbuilt kits I'm not sure I'll ever get around to.

One of them is a highly detailed Japanese kit of an early Kawasaki W-series 650 motorcycle (like the one I own in real life); I opened the box and discovered it has individual spokes that have to be laced onto the wheels, then closed the box and put it away.  I wasn't ready to take that one on.  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
4/22/24 7:26 a.m.

If any of you remember Pocher kits, they had individual metal wheel spokes that needed to be laced. I recall there were guys who would advertise in the model mags that they would build the wheels for you. 

The Pocher Alfa Romeo I had never got beyond the building of the engine. I sold it to a Alfa nut who was super-thrilled to have it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/24 7:46 a.m.

We did the Revell WWI fighter kits 1/24 Spad XIII, Sopwith Camel, and Fokker DR1. 

I wish I had them.

Instead of using the decals that came with the kit, which would have made the Spad a copy of Eddie Rickenbacker's plane, I built mine as an approximation of the markings for Frank Luke's Spad. We used black sewing thread to represent the strut wires, which wasn't provided for in the kits. 

My dad did the research, helped with mixing the paint colors and applying the paint.  At that time he was painting a series of portraits of significant aviators in American history. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/22/24 2:02 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I worked with a guy that built Pocher models. He was really talented, and made s lot of his own parts to make them even more detailed.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/22/24 2:19 p.m.

OMG on the sucker Corvette kit. 

BenB
BenB HalfDork
4/22/24 3:09 p.m.

I've never been into the competition side of things but I admire the work and skill that goes into the models. Some of them are amazing. With my builds, I'm just happy when they turn out to be good three-footers.

4/22/24 10:00 p.m.
RustBeltSherpa said:

Did you show pictures of the completed "sucker Corvette" to Stoyan Lokar and the other P&G engineers who created it?

Oh yes. He sent me a lot of photos of their build so I could replicate the car as best as possible. One thing I realized after he sent them to me is that they did not use a convertible. I hadn't noticed how big the opening was until then. They simply removed the targa bar and rear glass. I had to buy another kit after starting on a convertible based car. Oops! 

4/22/24 10:01 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

OMG on the sucker Corvette kit. 

Thank you. Did you not see it on the Challenge build thread two years ago? I have more and better pics.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/22/24 11:10 p.m.

I will be attending NNL East with at least 10 debut models, all detailed in builds here. I will post plenty of photos of other folks work in the main Model Cars thread. Like BenB, I seldom go to competition shows, the people's choice and limited competition of an NNL show is more fun. I've met some of the best, and all of them are willing to share techniques far more exacting than I could ever accomplish. Those same modelers will still enjoy the concepts I present at my skill level, a sentiment often missing from the juried competition shows usually dominated by argumentive rivet counters.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/26/24 10:29 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I got the day off, I'm going to stop on my way down to the races in Bridgeport. I don't have anything done to show but will probably by more stuff I'll never finish. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/28/24 12:19 a.m.

As usual there were a ton of incredible builds, but this was insane  a 1/12th Scale Greenwood Corvette  pretty much everything was replicated in brass or aluminum  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/28/24 12:21 a.m.

Marco Andretti at COTA diaroma  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m1SXMiOxwXAze5eD4xXXYySNOtTlpWqXNNA5zb8Q2bnRVlDXVw4ARl3NKUkdu2v0