1 2 3
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/8/20 4:18 p.m.
dps214 said:
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Awesome car. I love those "analog" gauges under the A/C controls. 

Either the oil is currently on fire or that oil temp gauge is broken.

Its broken, he included a working spare.  The car has a giant after market oil cooler and a spal fan, I am sure the oil temperature is just fine.  laugh

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/8/20 4:58 p.m.

Hopefully you are right. The bad scenario is what if the oil temps kept getting too high so he added an aftermarket cooler and fan and then when that didn't work, he 'broke' the gauge.

Those things are one of the strangest cars. I like them for their weirdness, but not sure I'd ever want to own one because once the strangeness of the design lost its novelty, I would just be left with a strange looking car.

I had a neighbor who had one when I lived in Alabama. They are pretty badass cars. Enjoy it!

johndej
johndej HalfDork
5/8/20 5:15 p.m.

Modern day MGB GT

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
5/8/20 5:21 p.m.

The previous owners plate is

EM8E is that to read M-80 in reference to the big firecracker (small dynamite) of the same name? 

Or, the Yugoslavian assault riffle? 

dps214
dps214 Reader
5/8/20 5:58 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I had a supercharged S52 roadster with stock water and oil cooling systems and nothing I ever threw at it got the oil temp needle to move past the middle of the gauge. It would have to have some serious issues to be consistently overheating the oil, especially on stock power.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/8/20 6:15 p.m.

So the oil temp gauge started working when we turned on the lights, not sure if it's got a weird short or what.  It seems like wiggling the dimmer switch causes it to work or not work.  Weird.

Regardless oil temp seems to stay right around 200 or a little below.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/8/20 6:20 p.m.

So after parking the car and getting gas the oil temp gauge resumed its maxed out reading.  Fiddling with the dimmer isn't helping.  Weird.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/20 6:30 p.m.

I'm jealous. What a nice car. 

At first I did not like the wheels, but they are growing on me. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
5/8/20 6:34 p.m.

Does the headliner seem as "helmet friendly" as the body proportions would suggest? 

I heard elsewhere that due to the tall door glass, that the window does not roll down flush meaning that you can not rest your arm on the window sill when the window is down. True? 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/8/20 6:44 p.m.

Even after all this time, I'm still on the fence about these cars.  The looks are holding up fine, but it's always been "different.".  I think the FRC Corvette or Boxster or Miata with hartop look nicer....  but the BMW flat 6 is always awesome.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/8/20 6:58 p.m.

Love some clown shoe action.  It looks really clean.  Not sure I have ever seen one in that they metallic.

My Z3 dash gauges are all flaky like that. Likely poor solders and somehow the current change on the dimmer occasionally wakes up something. I can sometimes adjust my coolant temp with the dimmer. I consider it a quaint feature in a 20 year old car. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
5/8/20 8:11 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

Does the headliner seem as "helmet friendly" as the body proportions would suggest? 

I rode in a coupe at an autocross once...definitely not much helmet space. The best thing I ever did to my roadster was an aftermarket seat that put the seating surface about 4" lower than stock.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/8/20 9:31 p.m.

Almost home.  Final stop for gas, in Jacksonville.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/9/20 9:40 a.m.

Dirty Mexican probably isn't PC, but also a bold move on a road trip.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/9/20 10:08 a.m.

Not a lot of space in those helmet wise.  I didn't fit with my helmet, they also have the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in for a german car.  I love the wheels, you bought this car really well.  For $12k I totally would've pulled the trigger on it too.  Lemme know when you get tired of it and wanna sell it!

dps214
dps214 Reader
5/9/20 10:44 a.m.
maj75 (Forum Supporter) said:

Dirty Mexican probably isn't PC, but also a bold move on a road trip.

Especially a road trip where you probably want to be at least a little picky about what public toilets you use.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/9/20 11:12 a.m.

I haven't sat in it with the helmet yet.  I am going to  do a few popular seat mods today 1st.  

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/9/20 11:17 a.m.

Totally missed this thread and you stopped for lunch 15.miles from me! Finchers is historic and the food is OK but under normal circumstances I could have suggested better. As it is, who knows...

Love the clown shoe. I've always thought they were a lot better looking than the roadster...

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/20 3:47 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

I heard elsewhere that due to the tall door glass, that the window does not roll down flush meaning that you can not rest your arm on the window sill when the window is down. True? 

That's a BMW thing ... my e30, e36, e46 and e92 all have this beautiful feature that loves to cut your arm in half anytime you try to rest in on the sill. 

e46:

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/9/20 4:46 p.m.

Messed with the car a bit today.  I pulled the passenger seat out to do the seat tilt mod and took my time cleaning everything.  I soaked the seat in lexol while I had it out.  

I didn't get a chance to mess with the drivers seat but I did sell a golf cart so that is a plus.

Put the passenger seat back together in time for a walk with my family.

Took a picture of my two dirty unicorns.

I wonder which is rarer the m coupe or a 4x4 5-speed 4runner highlander edition with factory electric locker?

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/9/20 4:55 p.m.

Gotta admit, I'm a bit jelly.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
5/9/20 5:34 p.m.

Absolutely FANTASTIC color combo. You definately struck paydirt to find a deal like that. Where did you see it listed and how many miles??

Clean it, put a little elbow grease into it, and put it on BAT and you will have another $4k towards the Cayman goal! 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/9/20 5:54 p.m.

It was on mcoupebuyersguide.com

It's the place to look for an m coupe or z3 coupe 

Papabear
Papabear Reader
5/9/20 7:01 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to dps214 :

Franklin is where the money is, they probably buy new and then don't care too much on resale. Well, Franklin and Brentwood.

Very true after living there for 10 years you'd be surprised at the deals that could be had.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GmYt6YaZ131qnBUbY1iDx2WeU1qw2POGLPaxo2n1efEVmlwdjdLXly8S6kFvBEH7