1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/4/16 8:44 a.m.

Thanks to all who responded! It's not going to be used for serious rock crawling, but it will be used for more serious off roading than what your average cute-ute could pull off.

I think he may be wanting better road manners than what the XJ Cherokee has. I'll check; if he's OK with how it drives, a new Wrangler may be a good option.

This is what I thought - there aren't many serious non Jeep off road SUVs still standing, except Land Rover, which he's rejected as too expensive. I'd suggested looking for an FJ Cruiser, but have no idea if he can still find a new one.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
3/4/16 9:11 a.m.

I second the 4 door Wrangler. They are worlds apart from their CJ/YJ ancestors.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/16 11:03 a.m.

2014 was the last year of the FJ so I doubt there are any of those left new.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
3/4/16 11:30 a.m.

Not really great for rock-crawling, but my Dad just got a 2015 Outback and is happy with it - uses it as his hang glider vehicle to take the glider up the mountain. AWD and almost 9" of ground clearance, supposedly the CVT is fine off-road, "1st gear" is around 3.53 with final drive of ~3.9.

Looks like about the same flex as a Patriot

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/4/16 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Brokeback: I suggested the impreza crosstrek earlier. I think some skid plates and a good set of tires would get this sucker moving.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
3/4/16 11:56 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: In reply to Brokeback: I suggested the impreza crosstrek earlier. I think some skid plates and a good set of tires would get this sucker moving.

Yea, both pretty similar - Outback is bigger, which might help it feel more like an SUV but hurts the whole fitting between trees thing. I'd love to get something older (I'm cheap) and throw a little lift and A/Ts on it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/4/16 11:32 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: Seeing that Patriot with tires that far in the air on that terrain tells me it's anything but good off-road. It appears to have the approximate suspension travel and flex of a Camry...

It made it, though. Read the article. As noted, if you want a serious and compact rock crawler, there are very few options to choose from.

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
3/4/16 11:44 p.m.

Have him test drive a JK, they are much better than an XJ/TJ/YJ/WJ etc. I was very impressed with the road manners of the base model JKU I test drove a couple years ago. Would definitely be my choice for a driver/mild wheeler, and I'm a die-hard XJ fan.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/5/16 9:03 a.m.
untchabl wrote: Have him test drive a JK, they are much better than an XJ/TJ/YJ/WJ etc. I was very impressed with the road manners of the base model JKU I test drove a couple years ago. Would definitely be my choice for a driver/mild wheeler, and I'm a die-hard XJ fan.

I dunno that a JK is more comfy than a WJ. XJ/YJ/TJ definitely, but the WJ is pretty damn comfy for something with a solid front axle.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/5/16 10:20 a.m.

2003 +/- Suzuki Vitara. Owned one for a spell and thought it was a blast. Comfy, decent mpg, easy to drive and just fun.

Enough out there to modify but even with just plus size tires it would get you where you needed to go no sweat.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rzt8JdZFnvCh3J0gW9AZkiIyvU9e25exhGY7ZcWQWhjlYlUylYA8ORlphwv3iwiI