1 2 3
DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
11/7/12 2:39 p.m.

About 6 months ago a fairly ratty looking BMW 2002 (later model, out of state tags and current inspection) showed up a few blocks away from my house. Thought it was cool because I don't see many of them around. Throughout the summer and through now it has never moved

Recently (about a week ago) someone spray painted "ABANDONED" in large pink letters across the the front and rear glass. Considering nothing has happened since I can't imagine the owner is anywhere nearby...

It's a bit painful seeing it sitting there and slowly rotting away. Is there any course of action that can be taken?

The only idea I've had is to locate the VIN (its not under the windshield) and try calling the NJ DMV and see if there is any owner or story on the car. Is this the best course of action or is there something else I can do? I considered unlocking it and rolling it to somewhere off the street but would not like the nasty surprise of finding out that it may have been a stolen and dumped car.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Pictures Below:

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/7/12 2:47 p.m.

Its a 74+.......the owner probably dumped it after he saw the back end.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
11/7/12 2:58 p.m.

If you are looking to buy it, first, I would call the local authoritah and see if they can check into it being a possible stolen/dumped vehicle. Then go from there with calling N.J. DMV to locate the owner.

I would hope they would help you with the effort. Good luck.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
11/7/12 3:06 p.m.

Yes, looks like the ohly course of action now is to call the NJ DMV with the plate number. Take it from there, depending on the answer.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
11/7/12 3:10 p.m.

One of your neighbors probably got tired of looking at it and wrote abandoned on the windscreens hoping the cops would tow it away. If the cops seize it, it will go to a public auction where it will most likely be sold off to the highest bidder. That is unless one of the cops wants it first. If you want it, your best bet is to find the owner. Maybe get a friendly cop to run the plate. Bet someone on here could do it for you quietly.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
11/7/12 4:00 p.m.

In california when a vehicle is removed by the city they junk the title with the DMV so the car has to be sold to a salvage yard and eventually crushed, and cant ever be sold or registered again.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/12 4:34 p.m.

I would consider a bucket of water and some sos pads to get the paint off before it does get towed

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
11/7/12 4:38 p.m.

I don't think you'll get anywhere calling NJ DOT to track the owner. Got any cop friend that can run the plate?

The background looks like you're in Philly. Or one of the DelCo burbs. If Philly, the parking authority probably would haul it. Don't know if it would go to public auction or one for licensed towing companies/junkyards. I suspect the ladder.

If one of the burbs, check with the local codes office. I would bet there's a towing company that they have on contract for hauling and impounding.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
11/7/12 4:56 p.m.

Thanks everyone! Yes it's in philly. I'll give NJ DMV a shot, but it sounds like nothing likely will happen. Does anyone know where I can find the VIN or if I even need it?

Would be cool to pick up a freebie like it (great interior), but will just occasionally check in on it until the city takes it away.

Will keep you all posted.

tb
tb Reader
11/7/12 4:57 p.m.

I saw this car about a week ago, had a few thoughts and then promptly forgot about it. Apparently I live close to DanyloS.

tb
tb Reader
11/7/12 5:13 p.m.
DanyloS wrote: ... will just occasionally check in on it until the city takes it away.

In my experience, the parking authority will not touch it as long as the plates and stickers are valid unless someone calls to complain. They will put a huge orange 'notice to remove' sticker on it for a week until they actually get around to towing it away.

of course, I am not sure that street is ever frequented by the PPA...

Start with a note on the windshield? Perhaps someone in the neighborhood knows something since you noted that the paint was recent...

stan_d
stan_d Dork
11/7/12 6:33 p.m.

I found an abandoned car looked in the glove box and found signed title and keys.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
11/7/12 7:03 p.m.

i would get in it and check to see if there is any owner paperwork to track them down with. do it in the middle of the day and dont be shy

most likely the owner is in jail

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
11/7/12 7:08 p.m.

The VIN is on the padded collar behind the steering wheel and on a plate under the hood on the top of the fender.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
11/7/12 7:19 p.m.

tr8todd beat me to it. If you can see through the windshield, you might be able to see the VIN plate on the upper steering column padding.

EDIT: "front windshield" is actually kinda redundant, innit?

friedgreencorrado
11/7/12 7:28 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Its a 74+.......the owner probably dumped it after he saw the back end.

Yeah, I used to be one of those guys, but 02s aren't so damn cheap anymore (solid or rusty). I'd take round or square these days. I can't help but notice that the one Per did for CM was a squarelight car.

http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1972-bmw-2002tii/

My last one was a '76, I wish I'd been able to find a way to keep it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/12 7:29 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Its a 74+.......the owner probably dumped it after he saw the back end.

while not as pretty as the round taillights.. I never found the later taillights all that offensive. With how rare nice 2002s are getting... people can't afford to be too picky anymore

friedgreencorrado
11/7/12 7:39 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Yeah, I used to be one of those guys, but 02s aren't so damn cheap anymore (solid **or** rusty). I'd take round or square these days. I can't help but notice that the one Per did for CM was a squarelight car. http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1972-bmw-2002tii/ My last one was a '76, I wish I'd been able to find a way to keep it.

EDIT: I was wrong, Per's car is a roundlight. My own fault, I actually saw it at the Mitty. Apologies to all, it's just that 02s get my blood pumping.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/7/12 8:04 p.m.
stan_d wrote: I found an abandoned car looked in the glove box and found signed title and keys.

Hey, that's pretty cool. Did you keep the car??

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
11/7/12 8:20 p.m.

Years ago...early 70's, a 57 Chev was abandoned on the road near our farm. We towed it home, notified the cops, when it wasn't reported as missing within 30 days, it was mine.

I really doubt its that simple now.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/12 8:23 p.m.

Two thoughts:

Before you lay too many fingerprints on it, don't discount the possibility that there may be a dead hooker in the trunk.

And...when I finally get my own 2002, it will have square tail lights and back dated bumpers.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
11/7/12 8:26 p.m.

Complain to DOT. Find out who handles their towing (may be city, may be private towing co,) if it's the later, they have towing auctions once every few months. If it's the former, I wouldn't bother. Towing auction will usually have a guy on site to cut keys for you. Or you could just wait for the towing company/city to sticker it, and then steal it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/7/12 8:49 p.m.
AquaHusky wrote: If you are looking to buy it, first, I would call the local authoritah and see if they can check into it being a possible stolen/dumped vehicle. Then go from there with calling N.J. DMV to locate the owner. I would hope they would help you with the effort. Good luck.

Do Dees. I think its pwetty cool wookin.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
11/7/12 9:20 p.m.

I really hope you get this thing for free!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/12 1:36 a.m.

I would try scrubbing off the pink paint and leaving a note on the windshield.

-if the owner see's the paint gone, he will see your note when he goes to investigate

-if the owner did NOT paint his windows it will at least stop drawing as much attention to the car while you pursue other avenues of investigation.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SvQ5WCzTaMMvySN2YQiOAJldTgZmF3ZnUDGE1H68dT53uXidVvLD2NjBGN98q6S0