tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
3/8/15 8:01 a.m.

Are the accusump O-rings the same as the Moroso O-rings? Found Moroso rebuild o-rings for $13 but the only thing I can find for the Accusump is to send it back to the factory. By the time I pay shipping both ways plus pay to have it "cleaned", I might just be better off buying a new one delivered to my door for $200. Thats not grassroots! Thats just stupid.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/8/15 9:43 a.m.

Why don't you just pull it apart and buy an O-ring that size? Or get an O-ring kit and make it yourself.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/8/15 10:02 a.m.

Having not pulled one apart I can't say but likely so. But the Doc makes a good point pull it apart and measure and buy O-rings. McMaster.com has crap loads for less then a "kit"

Oh how big do you need? I've got a 3qt unit I've never even bolted down never mind plumbed NOS with free dust...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/15 10:41 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Having not pulled one apart I can't say but likely so. But the Doc makes a good point pull it apart and measure and buy O-rings. McMaster.com has crap loads for less then a "kit" Oh how big do you need? I've got a 3qt unit I've never even bolted down never mind plumbed NOS with free dust...

Can I get 2nd dibs on that if you are looking to sell. The one in my 924s started acting funny last year.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
3/8/15 12:29 p.m.

I bought a used one for $50 that came out of a rock crawler. PO said it should be cleaned, which is code for pull it apart and change the O rings. Need to make a tool to remove the top. It has holes that the tool needs to fit into. Looks like the holes in the chuck for a grinding wheel but much bigger. The diameter of the cylinder is 4.25" so I'd bet I need 4" o-rings, but they need to be compatible with the oil they are holding back on one side. I'll pull it apart and head over to the local hydraulic shop. Just figured it was easier to order a kit and have it show up at my door for $13 than spend a couple of hours plus diesel fuel to shlep around.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/9/15 6:18 a.m.

http://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-Universal-Adjustable-Removing-Grinders/dp/B004K5JT9O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y

McMaster has a nice size chart and a chart showing compatibilities of different o-ring types

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
3/9/15 6:24 a.m.

Tony, how much for the one you have and whats included with it? I have more than one race cars.

CantonRacingProducts
CantonRacingProducts New Reader
3/9/15 7:43 a.m.

We stopped selling the O-Ring kits and instead offer a rebuild service now. When we were selling the O-Ring kit we frequently had to deal with customers that ruined their Accusumps and then wanted us to warranty the parts. If you are going to take the Accusump apart be VERY aware of how much pressure you are putting on the tube. The most common issue we saw was the Accusump tube being clamped down on and the tube would then be out of round and no longer get a proper seal.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
3/9/15 8:02 a.m.

What if you bought one new used it for a few starts, took it off full of oil and no air pressure came back 5 years later can it be used? It is currently full of royal purple oil.

CantonRacingProducts
3/9/15 2:52 p.m.

Stan_D I would suggest pressuring the Accusump to 60 psi, opening the valve to discharge all of the oil out, closing the valve and then letting it sit overnight. As long as it's still at 60 psi then you can reset the precharge of 10 psi and it should be good to go. If it loses any pressure than I would suggest sending it in for a rebuild.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
3/9/15 3:31 p.m.

So what you are saying is I can't be trusted to rebuild my own stuff. I need to mail it twice plus pay you to rebuild it for me. Heres whats going to happen. I am going to try and rebuild my $50 used part myself. If I screw it up, I will throw it away and buy a Moroso, because they don't seem to have a problem selling rebuild kits to their customers.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
3/9/15 4:20 p.m.
CantonRacingProducts wrote: We stopped selling the O-Ring kits and instead offer a rebuild service now. When we were selling the O-Ring kit we frequently had to deal with customers that ruined their Accusumps and then wanted us to warranty the parts. If you are going to take the Accusump apart be VERY aware of how much pressure you are putting on the tube. The most common issue we saw was the Accusump tube being clamped down on and the tube would then be out of round and no longer get a proper seal.

I understand, easy solution is to publish a disclaimer, or require a waiver in order to buy the rebuild kit.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/15 5:07 p.m.

As someone who has to deal with customers - I can't say I blame Canton. One or two problems happen. Many many problems means you have to come up with a different option.

Disclaimers won't work, as they only apply to other people. Everyone who wants to work on their own stuff is an expert, probably an ASE Master Tech with 100 years of experience.

CantonRacingProducts
3/10/15 10:40 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: So what you are saying is I can't be trusted to rebuild my own stuff. I need to mail it twice plus pay you to rebuild it for me. Heres whats going to happen. I am going to try and rebuild my $50 used part myself. If I screw it up, I will throw it away and buy a Moroso, because they don't seem to have a problem selling rebuild kits to their customers.

Maybe I worded this incorrectly. We don't offer a part number as a rebuild kit for the reasons stated. If you call us up we will sell you the parts as a non stocking part number if you are adamant about doing the rebuild yourself. We do this so that when the rings are sold we can be explicit about some of the issues we have seen and to be explicit that we will not cover anything under warranty if it is damaged. Since we have a dealer network the only way for us to control this is to not have it as a stocking part number and require people go through us. We completely understand the DIY mentality as we are that way as well. Unfortunately as we have found a lot of times people don't read instructions and will still call and freak out if something ends up going wrong.

The other issue we ran into with selling the rebuild kits is that someone would not realize they had damaged their Accusump during the rebuild and then would have issues with it and would destroy the product on the internet as being a poorly designed/manufactured product. We are constantly trying to fight that battle with the Accusump as it is so we try to limit our exposure to issues as best as possible. There are a lot of people that we call Accusump "Truthers" that vehemently claim that the Accusump is a dud product and should not be used on any vehicle. Fortunately most people can use common sense to understand the product and realize it would have died off by now if it wasn't working.

I hope this cleared up the previous statement.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/10/15 10:45 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: So what you are saying is I can't be trusted to rebuild my own stuff. I need to mail it twice plus pay you to rebuild it for me. Heres whats going to happen. I am going to try and rebuild my $50 used part myself. If I screw it up, I will throw it away and buy a Moroso, because they don't seem to have a problem selling rebuild kits to their customers.

No, what's he's saying is John. P. Customer can't be trusted to not trash-talk the product if he messes up his own rebuild. They'll sell you the parts, but not as a rebuild "kit" since that implies a certain level of success.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kXsS8VgJ7z5Itiu555LKNDVuLp0JaV6NmBaTKNQKDgrbIqr9NRU20TIRPEhESEkB