1 ... 3 4 5 6
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/31/15 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I wonder if the VW Routan project was called "We're an American Van".

(They're coming to your town.) (They'll help you party down)

EvanR
EvanR Dork
8/31/15 7:52 p.m.

When I tell Honda people that I'm buying a 2nd-gen Integra, they say, "Oh, a DA!". I say, "No, sorry, it's a DB." And they look at me like I'm an idiot.

But a DA is a 3-door chassis and a DB has one more door. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same car. Honda geeks think it isn't.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/15 7:55 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Right. I just never figured out how somebody at Ford looked at what they were building and thought (let alone was able to suggest with a straight face) that "Panther" was a more appropriate code name than "Elephant", "Athroplasty", or "Adult Absorbent Garment".

maybe they were thinking of the little old ladies who would be driving them?

Knurled
8/31/15 8:10 p.m.
EvanR wrote: When I tell Honda people that I'm buying a 2nd-gen Integra, they say, "Oh, a DA!". I say, "No, sorry, it's a DB." And they look at me like I'm an idiot. But a DA is a 3-door chassis and a DB has one more door. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same car. Honda geeks think it isn't.

So the geeks aren't pedantic enough? My mind explode.

AFAIAC it's a LWB Civic.

(Does it have the B17 or B18?)

Also I was wrong. The GM is the GC wagon. When I need to know Impreza chassis codes, I go to the DirtyImpreza.com site and look at the subforum structure.

And yes I know they were renamed to DIRally.com because of Subaru C&D'ing them but it will always be DI to me gosh dangit! I'm DI supporter #138.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
8/31/15 8:11 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
Driven5 wrote: Right. I just never figured out how somebody at Ford looked at what they were building and thought (let alone was able to suggest with a straight face) that "Panther" was a more appropriate code name than "Elephant", "Athroplasty", or "Adult Absorbent Garment".
According to UrbanDictionary.com: "Panther: A lady who prefers and pursues older men/the opposite of a cougar. "
EvanR
EvanR Dork
8/31/15 8:18 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
EvanR wrote: When I tell Honda people that I'm buying a 2nd-gen Integra, they say, "Oh, a DA!". I say, "No, sorry, it's a DB." And they look at me like I'm an idiot. But a DA is a 3-door chassis and a DB has one more door. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same car. Honda geeks think it isn't.
So the geeks aren't pedantic enough? My mind explode. AFAIAC it's a LWB Civic. (Does it have the B17 or B18?)

I haven't gotten quite that educated in Honda-speak yet, but since it's a 1.8 liter, I'm assuming it's a B18...

Which, interestingly enough, is the same engine designation that Volvo gave to the 1.8 liter OHV (that's OverHead Valve) redblock engine :)

Speaking of which, aren't ALL OHC engines also OHV engines? Either way, the valves are over the head!

And speaking of that, can you get an OHV engine in your OHV? (Off-Highway Vehicle)

Knurled
8/31/15 8:36 p.m.

OHC is easier than OHCaV.

What about the New Hemi? Its cam is higher than the valves... would it be a OHC engine with a complex linkage?

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
8/31/15 8:54 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
Knurled wrote:
So the geeks aren't pedantic enough? My mind explode. AFAIAC it's a LWB Civic. (Does it have the B17 or B18?)
I haven't gotten quite that educated in Honda-speak yet, but since it's a 1.8 liter, I'm assuming it's a B18... Which, interestingly enough, is the same engine designation that Volvo gave to the 1.8 liter OHV (that's OverHead Valve) redblock engine :) Speaking of which, aren't ALL OHC engines also OHV engines? Either way, the valves are over the head! And speaking of that, can you get an OHV engine in your OHV? (Off-Highway Vehicle)

DA3/DA1 is not second gen and a 3, 4, 5 door...

'92-'93 DB2 has a B17A1.

B18A1 (OBD 0) for '90-91 DA9's/DB1's, B18A1 (OBD 1) for '92-93 DA9's/DB1's, B18B1 for '94-'01 DC4/DB7, and B18C1 for '94-'01 DC2/DB8...

But all you really need to know is the DC2 that came stock with the B18C5...

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/31/15 8:55 p.m.

But not all engines were over head valves. Think of a flat head design. The head only has the combustion chamber and plugs, the valves are in the block.

Knurled
8/31/15 9:13 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

That is what OHV is comparing against.

I like F-heads myself. The complexity of OHV and the combustion chamber of a flathead.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
8/31/15 9:13 p.m.
RossD wrote: But not all engines were over head valves. Think of a flat head design. The head only has the combustion chamber and plugs, the valves are in the block.

Re-read what I said. All OHC engines have overhead valves.

Unless you know of a flathead engine where the valves are in the block and the cam is over the head. Which would be silly.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
8/31/15 9:17 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote: DA3/DA1 is not second gen and a 3, 4, 5 door... '92-'93 DB2 has a B17A1. B18A1 (OBD 0) for '90-91 DA9's/DB1's, B18A1 (OBD 1) for '92-93 DA9's/DB1's, B18B1 for '94-'01 DC4/DB7, and B18C1 for '94-'01 DC2/DB8... But all you really need to know is the DC2 that came stock with the B18C5...

from the VIN:

JH4DB1...

I assumed this meant the chassis was type DB (or DB1)

I have a lot to learn about my new car

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/15 11:52 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: CDC stands or Centers of Disease Control or Cult of the Dead Cow.. .. . .
I don't know why but I found this really funny.
You sound like a good dude, Dean! You really do. (And no, not just because you thought my post was funny!)

You have to understand somthing about me. I was always the kid that poked the wasp nest. Lots of fun but you get stung every now and then. Make sense?

lateapexer
lateapexer New Reader
9/1/15 4:08 a.m.

It's all a vast conspiracy to keep out Those Who Don't Belong (TWDB). Much more effective than secret handshakes.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/1/15 5:15 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Having thrown rocks at plenty of wasp nests in my life both literally and figuratively, yes I do get it!

PeteD
PeteD GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/1/15 6:40 a.m.

Don't confuse a BBC with a BBC 'cause that would be NSFW!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/15 7:12 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: I too sometimes get a bit confused with the acronyms. After all, I am an old guy. I have to read the thread to determine what is being talked about. That's the way I learn. Some still confuse me though. But you should see the acronyms we use at work. Military (army) has a bunch, then there are the ones we use for systems on our helicopters. To compound matters, sometimes the acronyms change for different models of the same aircraft on the same component.

I occasionally do work on military bases, and I need a translator just to find the bathroom.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/1/15 7:22 a.m.
EvanR wrote:
RossD wrote: But not all engines were over head valves. Think of a flat head design. The head only has the combustion chamber and plugs, the valves are in the block.
Re-read what I said. All OHC engines have overhead valves. Unless you know of a flathead engine where the valves are in the block and the cam is over the head. Which would be silly.

I completely realize that when there is a cam over the head, valves are almost always (you're right, I can't think of one that's not) over the head too.

But that's not the point.

The OHV and OHC are somewhat marketing lingo and were meant to denote a better technology. The general time line for the nomenclature was flat head, F head, overhead valves, then overhead cams. Usually with progress in technology and performance when moving to the next step.

So when you bought a brand new overhead valve engined car, you could stick it to your neighbor that still has his antiquated valve in block engine. Of course the Westinghouse heir on the good side of the tracks has his dual overhead cam, four valves per cylinder Duesenberg. So my little time line is all relative.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/1/15 8:16 a.m.

Actually between here and work I live in TLA hell. I'm a car guy working in IT sales division supporting the federal government. Compared to work, the car world is easy :) I've found google is your friend.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/1/15 9:55 a.m.

Back in the days when there were OHV engines and VIB engines there was a lot of discussion about which was better.

My father had a car with OHC as a DD.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/1/15 10:19 a.m.

A&AFTW!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/1/15 10:20 a.m.
T.J. wrote: A&AFTW!

Acronyms & abbreviations for the win!

Knurled
9/1/15 12:38 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Back in the days when there were OHV engines and VIB engines there was a lot of discussion about which was better.

There's a guy on Speedtalk who insists that valve in block is superior, and it would be stellar today if it received the same level of development as valve in head designs, which are only used because of inertia.

Won't listen to anybody who points out the awful combustion shape or the atrocious valve shrouding and the absolute lack of anything that can be done about it. Something could be done about it but nobody bothers to spend the effort, if they spent 50% as much time working on flatheads as they wasted on OHC designs then the flathead would naturally prove to be superior.

See comment in 7-page long boost problem thread regarding when an engineer becomes a zealot...

Knurled
9/1/15 4:30 p.m.

"I swear, I am not making this up"

So late today, a former employee brings his new car in for its initial service. He's doing well for himself, and his new car is a '15 STi. I get in, start it, and look at the wide array of neat gauges. Yep, still has the "dial-a-slide" knob behind the shifter. Center dash display is a digital display boost gauge with a peak feature and a throttle position indicator. I look at the instrument display... it's set to (and I am not making this up) C. DIFF.

There is a display on the dashboard called "C. DIFF" that shows how much is going through your rear. Again, I swear I am not making this up. Lies have to be plausible, but the truth merely has to be true...

ronbros9
ronbros9 New Reader
9/1/15 5:06 p.m.

maybe just getting lazy

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VhQLOKZJls8VRXGjMrmetwQBc44cDar8gdJGyBwEA541guYtnavIhTgMYsx90379