Markde
Markde New Reader
4/17/13 8:59 p.m.

I have yet to update this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/mk3-98-jetta-20-as-a-beaterpotential-challenge-car/62339/page1/ with the fact that I have begun the conversion of my 96 VW Jetta GT into something more (or less than) a pile of E36 M3.

This car will be my first attempt at building a cheap (or any) "race car". I am specifically aiming for rally-x if I can find some events nearby. Autocross is also definitely in the cars future. Despite this, I do plan on driving the car on the street somewhat often, and am keeping the radio/HVAC system the A/C is somehow still ice cold!. (South Carolina)

I have the interior tastefully stripped, the sunroof crap gone, and am relocating a lightweight battery into the trunk. Most emissions stuff will be taken off, along with adding a lighter weight exhaust/manifold.

I am now looking for less obvious things My first question is about the bumper supports, how important are they for safety? I have the front one removed and it is 40+ pounds. If I could safe-ish-ly be able to remove those that would be a huge step in the right direction. Whats the verdict??

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/17/13 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Markde:

If its driven on the street I would leave them.....otherwise, sound deadening, useless systems, etc can be yanked. Just remember it can be a pain to do while keeping it livable.

Markde
Markde New Reader
4/17/13 9:26 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Any reason in particular you would remove them? I am strongly leaning towards leaving them out. If this is a significant safety issue I would obviously reconsider.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/17/13 9:55 p.m.
Markde wrote: In reply to yamaha: Any reason in particular you would remove them? I am strongly leaning towards leaving them out. If this is a significant safety issue I would obviously reconsider.

If you remove them you're removing the first 8" or so of the car's crumple zone, so if you hit anything it's going to smack right into the engine and subsequently firewall.

I'd like to think my legs are worth 40lbs.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/17/13 10:15 p.m.

Confession: In the past, I replaced my Rabbit's bumpers with these Euro bumpers--looked awesome and shaved a bunch of weight, right where you want to shave weight.

The Porsche has its stock bumpers, and a few years ago I was tagged from behind on the highway--yes, at highway speeds. Someone brake-checked the car in front of me, and the guy behind me couldn't stop his SUV in time. It was a decent hit, and as we pulled to the side of the highway I pictured a totally smashed Porsche.

Total damage? Not a scratch. I know those big bumpers aren't hip, but for a street car I'm leaving them.

jere
jere Reader
4/18/13 2:40 a.m.

You could take a hole saw to the bumper without compromising safety, might actually make the bumper stronger. Just don't get too close to the edges and welds.

I have also seen chromoly tubes bend up for lightweight replacements, might be worth looking into

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/18/13 5:28 a.m.
jere wrote: You could take a hole saw to the bumper without compromising safety, might actually make the bumper stronger. Just don't get too close to the edges and welds. I have also seen chromoly tubes bend up for lightweight replacements, might be worth looking into

How could drilling holes in anything make it stronger? You might be able to lose 10% of the weight and only 2% of the strength (or something like that) but no way do holes make anything stronger.

Markde
Markde New Reader
4/18/13 5:49 a.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs:

I dont like the idea of leg loss so I guess Il leave the front one, maybe with some modification. The rear is going though as I cant imagine a scenario where it protects me significantly. Keep in mind this car is a $250 turd and would be parted without hesitation in the event of almost any collision.

Any other easy/difficult ways to lose some weight? I dont mind cutting up the body as long as its legal in most classes.

SCARR
SCARR Reader
4/18/13 7:30 a.m.

In reply to Markde:

the rear one protects you from the OTHER guy. I was hit IN TOWN hard enough to fold frame in my car once (as in car was bent). and I was in a WAY larger car than a 1992 Jetta.

Heck, our racecar (cumpcar) has full bumpers front and rear... because we like to live. it is easier to find 40 places to lose 1 lb, than 1 place to lose 40 lbs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IAn5191n1xc2e5s7G2UBN72ZEhr9GQmjAFrJqD9UnZ2e97n50DOg8cA7WmnsLTKw