Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/22/14 1:43 p.m.

It occurred to me in the last week that I have two cars I frequently drive that are over 20-years-old and both equipped with airbags. So I have high explosives pointed at my face that have been baking in summer heat and freezing cold for more than twenty years. In addition all the sensors and control units associated with the systems are the same age.

Is there a point where these things should be preemptively replaced or removed?

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/22/14 2:21 p.m.

Within an hour of leaving the stealership, which is also the recommended time to gut the interior and install full cage, harness, and race seats.

I don't have any scientific data but I'm not a fan of new airbags, much less 20-year old airbags.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/22/14 2:24 p.m.

We recently confirmed that 20 year old Miata airbags are still quite capable of detonating as they should. The control electronics weren't part of the test, though.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/22/14 2:28 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: We recently confirmed that 20 year old Miata airbags are still quite capable of detonating as they should. The control electronics weren't part of the test, though.

My concern is not they wont detonate. Its they will detonate randomly when I am just driving the car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/14 2:32 p.m.

Well then you should be more worried about the car's wiring or the sensors that trigger the airbag. I've never heard of an airbag malfunctioning in any way due to a problem with the explosives.

Some new cars will activate the airbags "randomly" if you drive the car hard, CTS-Vs in particular have this problem. This is due to a design flaw in the sensors.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/14 10:04 p.m.

I wouldn't worry about it. Technically they don't explode, two chemcials mix and form a gas. No heat or fire. The fast moving bag does create heat by friction though.

SCARR
SCARR HalfDork
9/23/14 7:21 a.m.

Don't gimme that... I want an answer that justifies me pulling mine from my 1990 miata.. that is still street driven.

wae
wae HalfDork
9/23/14 7:26 a.m.
SCARR wrote: Don't gimme that... I want an answer that justifies me pulling mine from my 1990 miata.. that is still street driven.

It's your face and your car. Pull it if you want, just make sure whoever street drives the car other than you knows about it. (I'm sure there's more of a legal position out there, but whatever).

I always kind of wondered about that, too. It's a fairly simple system overall, but sensors go bad on cars all the time -- how do you know the ones for the airbag system are still good?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/23/14 7:57 a.m.

In reply to wae:

In theory the system checks itself whenever you start the car. At least it does on modern cars. Have they always self checked? Hmmmm........

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/23/14 10:10 a.m.

I did notice in the fine print of my Allroad that Audi "recommended" replacing (!!!) all the airbags at the ten year mark. I suspect it was a cover their ass sort of thing in case one failed many years in the future they wouldn't be liable but still.

FWIW, my '97 Miata no longer has an airbag (aftermarket steering wheel).

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
9/23/14 10:16 a.m.

FWIW, I had this discussions with two reps from a major airbag manufacturer.

Per them, there is no expiration date. They have tested early models from the 70s that still work properly.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
9/23/14 11:56 a.m.
GCooper wrote: FWIW, I had this discussions with two reps from a major airbag manufacturer. Per them, there is no expiration date. They have tested early models from the 70s that still work properly.

What had airbags in the 70's?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/14 12:02 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote:
GCooper wrote: FWIW, I had this discussions with two reps from a major airbag manufacturer. Per them, there is no expiration date. They have tested early models from the 70s that still work properly.
What had airbags in the 70's?

Buick Electra, Oldsmobile Toronado that I can find so far...

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/23/14 12:05 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb: Early MB pre-production. MB had been working on them in the 60's and introduced them in '81.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/23/14 1:50 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I did notice in the fine print of my Allroad that Audi "recommended" replacing (!!!) all the airbags at the ten year mark. I suspect it was a cover their ass sort of thing in case one failed many years in the future they wouldn't be liable but still. FWIW, my '97 Miata no longer has an airbag (aftermarket steering wheel).

Volvo actually had a date sticker on the door pillar for a number of years, suggesting a date 10 years down the road where the bags would need to be inspected or replaced. As the date on the earliest cars came up, they sent out a bulletin, and said that their testing had shown no loss of efficiency in the bags, so forget about it.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/14 4:30 p.m.

Be aware that removing your airbags without informing your insurer technically qualifies as insurance fraud. You typically get a bit of a discount for having them...

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/23/14 4:45 p.m.

I just want the option to go into a Mazda dealer and order a new Miata without ABS, TCS, Stability control, TPMS or Airbags. I already know the insurance companies will rape me. And I don't care if I have to sit through an 8hr course and sign a 300 page waiver list and pay an "I don't care about people, clean air, clean water and I'm a big stupid head tax". This is the land of the free dammit. FREEDOM!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f1peOnpiRdwAI3z4dB0YPonXySgwWDkLS5nwGugGIbbjh19zYXQA69LyWgi5XD0G