1 2
Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/24 9:11 p.m.

How about a S197 Mustang GT convertible?  They are solid, reliable, easy to set up for go-faster, and they make the right gurgly-noises while also providing good thrust.  Specifically I'm talking the earlier cars like 2008-2009.

While coupes have often suffered a beating by this point but it's amazing how many nicely kept 2 and 3 owner stick convertibles are out there in good shape.  They can fall into your price range for sure and you get a lot of go for not a lot of dough.  

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/24 9:14 p.m.

While I'm on a roll, why not a C5 Corvette?  They are absolutely into your price range and are an absolute weapon compared to an early Miata not to mention they loaf along on the highway like a Caprice.  I'm not sure a convertible would meet your target price but since the coupes have a removable top anyway and they do, I would think it could satisfy the need.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/24 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

Both are good suggestions, but I'm looking for something smaller and more tradtional-sports-car-like.

Thanks!

RX8racer
RX8racer New Reader
10/16/24 11:17 a.m.

That budget cap is hard...  I would have said Corvette but ^^

Seems like you are limited to:

- NC Miata

- Boxster

- BMW Z car

- FRS/BRZ but no convertible...

- MR2 spyder

Maybe a 350z convertible but probably doesn't fit your requirements

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/24 1:37 p.m.

In reply to RX8racer :

The budget will vary depending on how much I recoup from the Manic Miata, but I'm trying to set reasonable expectations there.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
10/16/24 2:33 p.m.

One thing I would recommend if you get a Boxster is to get one with good headlights even if it's a significantly more expensive one, because the headlights don't hold up well and are very expensive (like $1k for eBay junk and $3500-$5500 for new factory ones).

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 2:51 p.m.

I don't think they came with manuals and I'm not very familiar with them, but what about something in the Mercedes SL line? 

Edit to add: 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-500 AMG $12,900

Product photo of 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Product photo of 2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class · SLK 350 Roadster 2D

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/16/24 2:52 p.m.
Tk8398 said:

One thing I would recommend if you get a Boxster is to get one with good headlights even if it's a significantly more expensive one, because the headlights don't hold up well and are very expensive (like $1k for eBay junk and $3500-$5500 for new factory ones).

Also beware of the fact that Boxsters can occasionally eject a headlight while autocrossing, particularly with a spin. I've seen that happen a couple times. I remember the first time, the car was coming across the finish and I went "Huh, it looks like Gregg's car is missing a headlight. How did that happen?" and then I see a worker running back to their station with the headlight under their arm.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/24 3:05 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I've never heard of that happening... sounds like gaffer's tape is important race prep.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 3:05 p.m.

I have an exceptionally nice Z4M coup in triple black that needs a new home.  I have been told it is the car for those who outgrow their Miata.  Unfortunately, the 10K limit will only get you about 1/3 of the way to ownership.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/24 4:10 p.m.

In reply to ekauppi7 :

I like the 128i and they are in budget, but they are 500 lbs heavier than a Z3.

Z3 3.0 looks like around 255 hp in a 2900 lb package.  That's about 10% more HP and 20% more weight than the Manic Miata.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/24 4:55 p.m.

But I look at this and read a story:

Maybe it's time to try the modestly powered mid-engine mighty mite.

But wow, prices on the MR-S vary all over the place.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/16/24 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yeah. $7500 was what I paid for mine, but I knew it needed a top. And then discovered it had a noisy transmission. But it was an all-original, one-owner, garage-kept, 98k mile car. Beware of ones that use oil. They do the same thing as the Nissan QR25DEs and suck up the precat. Easy way to check the precat is to remove the two 02 sensors and look down in. If the catalyst are intact, you're safe, just knock them out ASAP. If they're missing, they were likely already deleted. If they're partially present, then they've crumbled and that engine is probably a smoker. Deletion has zero effect on noise or performance and doesn't set a CEL

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2TWkNqEPvRhRZe5lNt8SxvMJRNuzMHfCxc9D01RfEkA2Ef0RjIYjZTeHr1LA2ekR