mightymike
mightymike Reader
7/20/13 8:40 a.m.

STILL sanding on the Capri. Does anyone have any experience using Klean Strip aircraft stripper on a car with multiple layers of paint?

It's got to be quicker and easier than sanding, but the Capri has 8 layers of paint on it. If it takes multiple applications of stripper, it is not a cost efficient solution for me..

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
7/20/13 9:07 a.m.

I have never had to deal with 8 layers of paint but one thing that I found helps to soften multiple layers is to apply sheets of plastic over the area you applied the stripper to. This slows/stops evaporation of some of the components of the stripper allowing them to continue working on the paint and not escaping into the air. Do small areas at a time and use similar sized pieces of plastic sheet.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/20/13 9:09 a.m.

Multiple layers of paint usually mean multiple applications of the stripper. The big thing is to let the stripper do its work and don't try scraping it off too soon. Also, when you put it on don't work it around too much, just slap it on and leave it. the more you work it the less effective it will be.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/20/13 10:04 a.m.

In my experience: Works really well on flat surfaces (roof, hood, doors and fenders removed and placed on sawhorses.) Not so great on vertical surfaces...I'm still sanding on the Festiva as well. The hood was awesome though. Just came off in big sheets.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
7/20/13 6:26 p.m.

It's worth a try. Stopping by the auto parts store tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/20/13 6:38 p.m.

Multiple applications are almost a certainty, as noted above covering it with plastic wrap will slow the reaction and allow it to penetrate more.

The biggest issue Ive found with multiple layers is depending on the paint type it can hit a layer which is non-reactive to the stripper and just stops there. Same will apply for any layers/sections of body filler or if a filler primer was used in a layer.

Still beats the hell out of sanding.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/20/13 6:52 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Still beats the hell out of sanding.

bingo

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
7/20/13 7:37 p.m.

I've used it a lot and had good results. Make sure its the real aircraft stripper.

Don't get it on your hootus. Or hands or legs

Jcamper
Jcamper New Reader
7/20/13 7:55 p.m.

If you are in the northwest you can borrow my setup. Use a good buffer that you can set the speed on with 80 grit sanding discs (8 inch I think is what I have). So much faster. Works awesome. It will take multiple layers of paint and bondo off quickly, won't burn the metal, but it will make you sore. Only do this outside, there will be a cloud around you as it kicks ass for The Lord upon old layers of paint. J

M030
M030 Dork
7/20/13 9:29 p.m.

Aircraft strippers make great in-flight entertainment

motomoron
motomoron Dork
7/20/13 10:08 p.m.

The last can I bought had been on the shelf a while and has separated. The first bit I poured off the top didn't do much to powdercoat. After mixing it was it's usual thermonuclear self.

When you apply it, daub on a thick coat, and wrap it in polyethylene sheet, ie. trashbag to keep all the delicious toxicity in. It won't dry on the part, and the ethylene chloride will gas off slower making for more effective strippage.

Follow up w/ scrapers and a wire wheel. I've found no faster way to make paint go away.

NOTE: Wear an organic vapor respirator when using aircraft stripper! It's the nastiest E36 M3 there is other than isocyante laden catalyzed urethane paints.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
7/20/13 10:18 p.m.

I've never tried the plastic sheeting.

The bad stuff in it is methylene chloride.

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
7/22/13 11:25 a.m.

I just used the Kleen Strip Aircraft Stripper on a jon boat. 20 years of paint, layer after layer. What a nightmare. Originally starting using an angle grinder but I was eating up $5 abrasive pads too quickly. Moved on to the chemical stripper. Went much quicker but like was mentioned, plan on multiple coats if you have multiple layers.

Covering in plastic sounds like a good idea. Could have used that tip a couple of weeks ago, haha.

And ditto on wearing a respirator. The first time you get a sniff, you'll know it's good stuff.

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/22/13 12:00 p.m.

Take the "use in a well ventilated area" warning very seriously with methylene chloride strippers. There have been several deaths associated with it recently, especially the "industrial grade" stuff.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/22/13 12:57 p.m.

I used a Kimball brand stripper on Mongo, it worked great, see EvanB who now has a job with Kimball.

Multiple layers of paint dating back to 1966 on Stainless Steel

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jOUwfb2r720JFMyfB2PNpFnts1C0lrMpAfxSax3K5fSAlsbSbFmI0wVPbN3hHWgZ