1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 9:11 a.m.

This morning, my doctor complained about a diagnostic test that my insurance company refused to pay for. He shook his head and said, "It's like that old Fram oil filter ad, 'You can pay me now... or you can pay me later.'"

I said, "Don't ever use Fram oil filters."

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/19/20 9:23 a.m.

Smart doc 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 9:25 a.m.

So say we all....

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/19/20 9:25 a.m.

If your doctor uses Fram filters, it might be time to find a new doctor.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/20 9:43 a.m.
NickD said:

Outdated info. Check on BITOG, Frams are good now.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
2/19/20 9:50 a.m.

It is likely tetanus from handling rusty old trailers.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/19/20 10:26 a.m.

Back when I was younger and still a technician at a Honda dealer the family physician that I would see for my yearly check-ups was a regular customer with his fleet of Odysseys and Pilots. I refused to go to the doctor unless I was feeling like it was my time to pass. Well one of those days came about and he fit me in his schedule. His 30 second diagnosis was that I was simply dehydrated and needed to just drink some gatorade. I ended up in the hospital that evening with something much more serious (one of my kidneys had no blood circulating to it which was causing the immense pain I was feeling). He brought his own personal car in about 2 weeks later and it was my first day back to work. He was complaining of odd vibrations and noises as highway speeds. My diagnosis was "you're hearing things and maybe you should get your ears checked." At least the service manager found the amusement in it and still charged the guy a full hour of diag time. We eventually fixed his car but I never saw that doctor again and he never came back to that dealership. 

The moral of the story. He also brought his own Fram filters in for any oil change he ever had done on his cars. 

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
2/19/20 10:32 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
NickD said:

Outdated info. Check on BITOG, Frams are good now.

I thought I'd give their top of the line filter a shot, BITOG says it's fine.

The anti-drain back valve separated from service. Lesson learned, you can't polish a turd. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 11:02 a.m.
Woody said:

This morning, my doctor complained about a diagnostic test that my insurance company refused to pay for. He shook his head and said, "It's like that old Fram oil filter ad, 'You can pay me now... or you can pay me later.'"

I said, "Don't ever use Fram oil filters."

in for $20 to make sure you get the test done.  gimme your paypal address.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/19/20 11:05 a.m.

Car guy Doctor?  Keep  him.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/19/20 1:00 p.m.

some good stories in this thread, made me smile

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/20 1:04 p.m.

That original FRAM ad was brilliant! See, we are still talking about it decades later!

Of course, you've always got to have the product to back up your advertising...

Woody
2/19/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Thank you very much, but I think I’m all set. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
2/19/20 7:35 p.m.

My doctor and I belonged to the same sailing club and often raced against each other. I was having problems with an irregular heart beat. I used to drink a real lot of coffee. Along with some prescribed medication he advised me to cut way back on my coffee and other caffeine intake. One day while sitting at the club bar he walked in put his hand on my shoulder and said "I'm glad to see you drinking bourbon instead of coffee" He was my doctor for 35 years until he retired. He used to complain all he time about insurance companies and their refusal to pay for tests he deemed necessary and in the best interests of his patients.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
2/19/20 7:42 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Good to see that both car dealerships and doctors are both hard at work earning their terrible reputations in your story!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/20 9:08 p.m.

I've done 24 oil changes on my 2013 Mazda 2.  Six thousand miles between changes with Mobil 1 synthetic. Just reached 139000 miles. Fram filter at every change. Never a problem.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/20 1:49 a.m.

So, since you're old enough to be OBDI, did the doc count your eyes crossing so he could look up the fault code after he took a piece of wire and jump your nipples?

bluej
bluej UberDork
2/20/20 4:58 a.m.
Appleseed said:

So, since you're old enough to be OBDI, did the doc count your eyes crossing so he could look up the fault code after he took a piece of wire and jump your nipples?

It's navel to nipple, not nip to nip for that diagnostic, c'mon man! Remember to pay attention to innie vs outie for polarity.

McDesign
McDesign New Reader
2/20/20 6:20 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

I like Fram because they look nice with Chevy orange -

pirate
pirate HalfDork
2/20/20 6:22 a.m.
bluej said:
Appleseed said:

It's navel to nipple, not nip to nip for that diagnostic, c'mon man! Remember to pay attention to innie vs outie for polarity.

Now thats funny!

McDesign
McDesign New Reader
2/20/20 6:36 a.m.
Appleseed said:

So, since you're old enough to be OBDI,

I'm just ODB

https://www.discogs.com/artist/39015-Ol-Dirty-Bastard

Forrest

outasite
outasite HalfDork
2/20/20 8:08 a.m.

About 19 years ago I was having my annual physical. I was very active physically, bicycling 20-40 miles a day, walking, backpacking, skiing. After reviewing lab and test results, my Dr. says, "You are in great shape, what ever you are doing, keep doing it." He was looking over my patient profile when he said this. He hesitated and I asked him why. My Dr. says, "You are 55, it is all downhill from here." 

Woody
2/20/20 8:24 a.m.
outasite said:

About 19 years ago I was having my annual physical. I was very active physically, bicycling 20-40 miles a day, walking, backpacking, skiing. After reviewing lab and test results, my Dr. says, "You are in great shape, what ever you are doing, keep doing it." He was looking over my patient profile when he said this. He hesitated and I asked him why. My Dr. says, "You are 55, it is all downhill from here." 

So the pedaling gets easier?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/20/20 8:25 a.m.

Rectum? Damn near killed em! 

outasite
outasite HalfDork
2/20/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Only when you have the wind at your back.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tRd0tyRKKDO8HMdlVXAhBPv9RTIbMQlDCIcXs7ilhPziOZqEjGDIfYy3k45tQqpV