1 2 3
Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
4/28/12 12:22 p.m.

A few years ago, I was all about trying to find myself a nice P71 to press into service as a daily driver. Unfortunately, after crawling around a bunch of these cars, I realized that's easier said than done. I was looking for that rare combination that's a great deal, yet is still a well-cared for car.

Naturally, when I'm not looking, one falls in my lap. A friend of mine told me about this car for sale near my folks, and I just had to check it out.

This is a 2006 P71 Vic that was a supervisor's car with PG County, MD. The second owner who bought it at auction is a local cop who cherry picks these cars, and had it repainted from its original two-tone scheme, to the dark blue paint you see here. Apparently he sold his to buy a new 5.0 Mustang, and the guy I bought from was trying for a fast sale to secure a truck he wanted.

This car is a LOT of fun. 120k miles, 4000 idle hours, and it runs like a fine watch. It's even pretty nicely appointed since it was never truly a patrol car. It's one of the few P71's I've seen with carpet, and it even has factory cruise control which will be a huge boon on long distance trips.

I'll be honest, I don't really have an idea of what to do with this thing as a project car. I think for the time being, I'll try and find a nice set of black wheels with decent rubber and tighten up the suspension a bit. After that, who knows?

I'm just enjoying it for time being.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/28/12 12:55 p.m.

choice

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/28/12 12:57 p.m.

Very nice find.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/28/12 1:19 p.m.

Excellent!

Winston
Winston Reader
4/28/12 1:41 p.m.

Sweet. My favorite color for the P71.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/28/12 1:42 p.m.

Finally, something good comes out of PG county.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
4/28/12 1:52 p.m.

My dad just started complaining about his gas mileage on his P71. And this is after 25 years of P71 ownership.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
4/28/12 2:18 p.m.

Thanks guys!

I've been trying to alter my driving style to maximize fuel economy, which isn't too hard since everyone on two-lane roads slows to about 5-10 under the speed limit when you're following. I think I got most of the hooning out of my system burning through the half-tank of gas that came with the car.

I'm fairly hopeful I can achieve 25 mpg or more on the highway, because the car is only turning around 2000 rpms at 70 mph. We'll see.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/28/12 2:49 p.m.

That spotlight is illegal here. Is it legal up there?

(Illegal for Civilian Use: retired P71's have theirs removed before resale)

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
4/30/12 11:09 a.m.

SUPER clean p71! Can you post pics of the interior? And if you don't mind me asking, approximately how much money you spend on it?

I have been keeping an eye open for a super clean supervisor/fire department/etc p71 for cheap as a DD. Most of the ones that don't have holes all over the place and crappy interiors are overpriced, and the other half seem to have working sirens and such that the owners think makes it worth a ton of money.

I had NO interested in these until I came on this board a few years ago. I hate you all.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/30/12 11:13 a.m.

I had a dare car. The lamps are legal here.

I'm sure you've read it, but the harness is the same in every CV. P71-P74. You can swap in any options.

CLNSC3, I wouldn't spend over 3000 on one unless its real low mileage.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
4/30/12 12:14 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: CLNSC3, I wouldn't spend over 3000 on one unless its real low mileage.

And keep in mind low mileage may just mean that it spent a E36 M3 load of time idling . . . .

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/30/12 12:24 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: CLNSC3, I wouldn't spend over 3000 on one unless its real low mileage.
And keep in mind low mileage may just mean that it spent a E36 M3 load of time idling . . . .

Usually.
Detective, Chief, Major, Captain, and DARE are always positives because of lower miles, a more gentle use and less idling.
Pursuit means, "run away now." sounds chill, but she's been used harder than the highest grossing Nevada whore.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
4/30/12 1:07 p.m.

Cool car.

Nicer wheels are just a Craigslist search away. Any S197 ('05 and newer) Mustang wheel will fit and there's usually plenty of people selling them on the cheap.

The color is called "True Blue Metallic".

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/30/12 1:13 p.m.

Same color as mine, eh, maybe mine's a little darker. Welcome to the club sir!!! I strongly recommend the 5.4 swap!!

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
4/30/12 5:55 p.m.

In reply to hrdlydangerous:

interesting knowledge on the 05 and up Mustang wheels.

anyone swapped a Coyote 5.0 in one yet?

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/2/12 1:28 a.m.
CLNSC3 wrote: SUPER clean p71! Can you post pics of the interior? And if you don't mind me asking, approximately how much money you spend on it? I have been keeping an eye open for a super clean supervisor/fire department/etc p71 for cheap as a DD. Most of the ones that don't have holes all over the place and crappy interiors are overpriced, and the other half seem to have working sirens and such that the owners think makes it worth a ton of money. I had NO interested in these until I came on this board a few years ago. I hate you all.

Not a problem at all! Here's the interior pics:

As far as what I paid, the guy was in a bind and trying to sell the car to get a truck. He had dropped from 7 grand to 4500, and I got the car at 4 grand. I felt pretty good about the deal, seeing as the car still books for 7500. Plus, I already have two standing offers after this weekend to buy the car if I wanna sell, so I don't feel too bad about it.

And in response to the spotlight question, I know it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but the local cop told me it's perfectly legal here.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/2/12 3:04 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: That spotlight is illegal here. Is it legal up there? (Illegal for Civilian Use: retired P71's have theirs removed before resale)

why would the spotlight be illegal? are the tow trucks and utility trucks that have them breaking the law?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
5/2/12 9:32 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
DoctorBlade wrote: That spotlight is illegal here. Is it legal up there? (Illegal for Civilian Use: retired P71's have theirs removed before resale)
why would the spotlight be illegal? are the tow trucks and utility trucks that have them breaking the law?

I believe it's because some people didn't resist the urge to spotlight oncoming traffic for hours on end. It also appealed to the wanna-be Cop. So off they come, when going into Civilian hands. Push bumpers are legal, however.

Tow Trucks and Utility Trucks aren't for regular drivers, however. I think they have a different permit process. My info might be fuzzy there however.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/12 9:34 a.m.

FWIW it's not illegal to have spotlights in WA or OR and they leave them on, including mine.

To the OP: Nice! Dark Charcoal interior with the good steering wheel! You did very well at that price point!

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
5/2/12 9:36 a.m.

I have a spotlight on my P71. I've only used it to spotlight my friends and some kids who were getting loud at a party when I lived in Austin. I HAVE however had people pull over for me when I come up on their tailpipe at, what I call, an Authoritive Speed (75-80 mph). That's pretty fun. I usually don't try to "act like a cop" because that will give you a big head and get you in trouble with the real guys in blue.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/2/12 9:52 a.m.

Being a ham operator, I had antennas all over my p71. Once a cop gave me trouble for using my lamp, but I wasn't doing anything illegal with it, so he just asked me politely to stop. Never had any real trouble with police. Did have a few try to buy it.

The only problem I had was civilians chasing me around telling me that I was impersonating. I usually just replied via sign language as I got the berkeley away. Not worth my time.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/2/12 10:25 a.m.

Oh, and just filled up the car for the second time yesterday. I got 20mpg with a bit of hooning and a 70/30 split of country/highway driving.

I have to see what a full tank of responsible driving gets me.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/2/12 10:32 a.m.

Nice! Anybody know what kind of gas mileage P71' get?

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/2/12 10:34 a.m.

For the 2006 model, Ford's CVPI brochure lists the EPA estimates at 15 city/21 highway.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads/brochures/2006/CrVicInt_CompCard.pdf

I've heard estimates of anywhere from the low teens to high 20's on an all highway run. I think under normal driving 20-22 is probably gonna be my average.

Not great, but my dad says their 08 Taurus gets around 24 mpg in about the same conditions. Well, maybe with a bit less hooning since it's my mother's car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KrNE1DbJYGeHz723Xa1BFXhHg68wljBoEWZBT58u2UOi2AqrsAo3zuBhchXigtVc