stroker
stroker SuperDork
1/7/15 9:18 p.m.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/01/07/shelby-cobra-parked-in-174-worth-up-to-14-million/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/15 10:06 p.m.

I thought that was sort of interesting, but the stories in the links below were better...

http://latest.com/2014/04/sad-mystery-twins-found-dead-in-matching-recliners-no-one-noticed-death-for-years/?utm_source=Outbrain_Over_D

http://www.mtv.com/news/2039500/diphallic-dude-book/

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/8/15 6:36 a.m.

It's not really a barn find when it was registered in a couple books. Most of the Cobra community knew of the car. A lot of people have been trying to buy it for years. He just now decided to sell it and the hype machine it going on the car.

I never understood the desirability of a "barn Find" After rescuing a few cars after sitting a long time, it takes a lot of work and money to actually get it to be drivable.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/8/15 8:41 a.m.

The above is another example shot that reminds me just how much I like the looks of a Cobra without side pipes.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/8/15 9:01 a.m.

These are the best looking Cobras EVER!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/8/15 9:42 a.m.

Was someone in another thread not trying to pin down the introduction of ugly squared-off wheel arches? I think we might have found it!

I recall first hating them on this exact car and celebrating their disappearance on the real cobras.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/8/15 9:56 a.m.

Sorry Nohome, but this is a "real" Cobra. The arches went away when they flaired the fenders on the 289 FIA and the 427 cars. I think, but haven'been able to confirm, that the earliest of the Cobras did not have these arches, or maybe is was just the earliest of the AC Aces that became the Cobra that didn't have them. The Aces usually had the brow under the headlight, that I think Shelby changed for the Cobra. I'm not sure any Aces slipped out with the Cobra body.

Edit: BTW I don't like the arches either, but would but up with them if somebody gave me one. I think they were added to give the body more strength.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
1/8/15 10:07 a.m.

I saw a Cobra like this back in '95. The guy I bought my '93 Cobra R Mustang from knew the original owner and after years of pestering the guy finally got him to sell it. It had a 260 V8 with wire wheels! One of the earliest production Cobra's. At the time the car had been sitting for about 25 years. Every piece of rubber on the car had to be replaced!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/8/15 10:44 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Sorry Nohome, but this is a "real" Cobra. The arches went away when they flaired the fenders on the 289 FIA and the 427 cars. I think, but haven'been able to confirm, that the earliest of the Cobras did not have these arches, or maybe is was just the earliest of the AC Aces that became the Cobra that didn't have them. The Aces usually had the brow under the headlight, that I think Shelby changed for the Cobra. I'm not sure any Aces slipped out with the Cobra body. Edit: BTW I don't like the arches either, but would but up with them if somebody gave me one. I think they were added to give the body more strength.

They still ugly.

Many moons ago, there was a Cobra replica manufacture (NOT a kit car) that staked it's future on the early ugly car with the squared off arches. They argued much the same that this was the "Original and pure vision of Carrol Shelby" This did not work well as the buying public wanted the more macho 427 bodystyle and voted with its wallet. Aurora did not last very long.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/8/15 11:29 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Yep, the demonstrator that Carroll drove around to dealerships looked about the same just maroon colored.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/8/15 12:06 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: Yep, the demonstrator that Carroll drove around to dealerships looked about the same just maroon colored.

Is that the one they repainted several times to make people think there were more of the cars than there really were?

I just checked into the Aurora. Seems they always had backorders for the cars, so demand wasn't the issue. The cars were fiberglass and only the exterior of the car resembled the Cobra. Federalizing the cars and possibly some dubious activities by GM buying up samll blocks of stock once the company went public brought it to an end.

But we are off topic now.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/8/15 12:34 p.m.

Looks a lot like an MGA

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/8/15 12:45 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Looks a lot like an MGA

Looks a lot like a Daimler.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners