1 2 3
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/1/14 6:37 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik: Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was referring to 1/2 tons and imports seeing that I mentioned the overseas Toyotas (I believe they're called Hi-lux?)

Btw, crew cabs were available in the 1930's if not earlier but again, that's not what I was referring to.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
2/1/14 6:39 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Sliding doors = minivan = not cool. This is a reality. No "real" man wants to even think about minivans. My buddy hates it when I remind him that his Pasifica is a minivan.

Toyota Hell Van? S/C Previa? MPV? 5? Astro? Safari? All manly things, IMO. And to the OP: Yeah, I think you're on to something.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/1/14 6:48 p.m.

Please forgive me if this sounds like a "tough-guy" comment but as far as "non-manly" minivans: I drive my wife's Caravan often. At 6'3" and about 260lbs and sometimes carrying Strongman and Highland Games equipment in it, I'm not really concerned with feeling "manly" in it.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/18/14 1:48 p.m.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
2/18/14 2:21 p.m.

Could butch it way up:
Make the sliding doors out of fake diamondplate, with ton's of garish chrome, maybe embellished with fake belt buckles, leather, and woodgrain.
Have to have a manly remote for it, right? Maybe in the shape of a Budweiser bottle with buttons?
Maybe hang some 'truck nuts' on the doorjams that sway as it operates, and have it play the theme from 'Rocky' as it opens and closes.

Would sell like hotcakes, at least where I live .....

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/18/14 2:47 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: But has anyone else seen how narrow parking spaces are now? In an effort to cram as many consumers as possible into stores, parking spaces seem to have gone on a crash diet.

I don't think the parking spaces have gotten smaller, I think that cars keep getting larger and larger. I have no problems parking my miata or WRX and getting in and out. When I park my E-150 I frequently have to squeeze out of it if there is someone next to me.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
2/18/14 2:51 p.m.

Sounds like this is what you want:

scardeal
scardeal Dork
2/18/14 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Yes, yes it is.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/18/14 3:24 p.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to nicksta43: On older ford vans you could cut and extend the arm that went into the track on the side of the van at the back of the door. I helped a friend build a few dollar vans in Brooklyn and we would do that to clean the running boards and 12 in wide rears. That, a homemade door opener to let the customers in and a Haitian flag mural on the back made for a bitchin' van back in the day.

For the love of god, please post a picture of this.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
2/18/14 4:00 p.m.
Wally wrote: On older ford vans you could cut and extend the arm that went into the track on the side of the van at the back of the door. I helped a friend build a few dollar vans in Brooklyn and we would do that to clean the running boards and 12 in wide rears.

You could do that to the sliding doors on my Transit Connect also. The top and bottom Hinges/Arms are at the front of the door and the middle one is at the back of the door. It looks like it would be fairly easy to lengthen the middle arm to make the rear of the door stand out further from the body when the door is open.

Regarding the Transit Connect: It was designed as a delivery truck. When it was brought to this country in 2010 they decided to make a people hauler version and called it a wagon. I have a 2010 XLT wagon. It is still a delivery truck with some extra seats.

The 2014 Transit Connect is a completely different vehicle. It is not as tall and has either a shorter or longer (10" longer than mine) wheelbase depending on the version you choose. The rear suspension is changed from a leaf spring beam axle to coil spring independent. It also comes with more powerful engines and a 6 speed vs. 4 speed transmission. Ford is definitely changing it from a "delivery truck with seats" to a true minivan.

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
2/18/14 4:47 p.m.
irish44j wrote: ^^ Hell, for that matter you could do it on the back doors of crew-cab pickups too...

I like both ideas, especially this one. Hell do it to my TDI Jetta.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iFjjUUNxlSLltGilhSeG3NG9Vrnpkg8p3tUZc1J3tek7Qfw0gHoOedYeGcYTv6mA