untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
9/1/22 5:20 p.m.

Looking at a 2009 Mazda5 5spd that has a blown 2.3 engine. I've heard about swapping the 2.5 in place of the 2.3. Was just wondering if anyone on here had any personal experience performing the swap.

What years/models of Ford/Mazda cars can I get the 2.5 engine from?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/1/22 7:56 p.m.

I don't know about swap-ability but the 2.5 went into the Fusion and Escape for 2010+

Also in 2010, the Mazda CX-7 and 6 got the 2.5. The Mazda5 didn't get the 2.5 until 2012.   Also Mazda 3 got 2.5

mjlogan
mjlogan New Reader
9/2/22 7:32 a.m.

Tons of info if you search focus and mazda 3 forums.  I think the 2.5's started showing up around '08 in fusions and escapes.  I personally had a '12 variant and it had accessories from all sorts of different ford/mazda platforms to get things where I wanted them.

I don't have any personal experience with this exact swap, but I do know from building a frankenstein 2.5 project that the MZR/duratec engines are like legos.  You should be able to hang all your accessories from the 2.3 on the 2.5.

If you get a Ford 2.5 you will have to swap your Mazda crank trigger wheel onto it.  That requires pulling the balancer and re-timing as these cranks are not keyed.  There are a few companies that sell kits to set timing.  Its easy to do especially on an engine stand.  Actually, you may have to swap timing covers regardless so you're probably pulling the balancer no matter what.

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
9/2/22 9:32 a.m.

Thanks for the info so far. I'm not concerned about the actual physical swapping of the engine, was mainly looking for tips and tricks of small stuff, like needing special tools to swap the balancer/crank pulley. 

Waiting to hear back from the seller so I can hopefully make arrangements to go get the 5.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/22 10:15 a.m.

If you don't need obd2 testing how about putting a 2.3 back but adding boost?  

What performance gains do you get with the 2.5 versus the 2.3?  

mjlogan
mjlogan New Reader
9/2/22 12:41 p.m.
dean1484 said:

If you don't need obd2 testing how about putting a 2.3 back but adding boost?  

What performance gains do you get with the 2.5 versus the 2.3?  

From my research there's kinda no reason to put a 2.3 back in.  I remember 2.5's being more readily available at lower mileage and actually cheaper.  I paid $250 for a fully dressed one with under 100k on it.

I think the 2.5 gets you another 30hp or so.  I've never driven a 2.3 (though I am currently shopping for a gen 1 mazda 3 for a daily), but my 2.5 had great low end torque for a 4 cylinder.  It also handled 10psi of boost no problem and tolerated my novice tuning.  Allegedly the 2.5 also has full floating pins and a forged crank, but I haven't been able to verify that first hand.

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
9/4/22 11:22 p.m.

So I'm waiting for the owner to find the title before I make the drive to go look at the car since it's almost 4 hours away. Hopefully he'll find it in the next couple days and I can go check it out. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0QzLPCafVYw2aDYxCRiQf5LDBdG0pzNWnwIpRLxYza4c1znyojpsNzO0a0ab5MuM