Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
1/6/10 11:49 p.m.

We've got a 1999 Suburban 1500 that has been a great truck (I love being able to put a full sheet of plywood or drywall flat, in a covered area). 250k miles on an untouched motor and it still runs like a champ. The only complaint would be that it does have a habit of eating transmissions (about every 100k) and the brakes feel undersized for the vehicle.

It has discs up front and drums in the rear. Seeing as how it's a truck, and they made many different trim levels on the same platform, are there any OEM brake upgrades that bolt on (or require little modification)? Larger/better pistons/calibers or perhaps discs for the rear?

I scoured google with the same question, and came up with nothing. If anyone could point me in the right direction or has any input that would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/7/10 7:27 a.m.

You could probably bolt on the brake package from a Z56 (police package) Tahoe. I've owned both and they are pretty much the same minus a few feet. The police package brakes are bigger. Not sure how much of the package you would need, might just bolt to the existing spindles or you might need the z56 spindles as well.

Still drums in the rear though Im afraid.

Now sadly all of this and the brakes will still "feel" undersized for the vehicle as you say now. Its a common complaint with this era GM truck, the brake feel is lousy (although they work fine)

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/10 11:27 a.m.

JB6 rear drums are a popular upgrade. If you're not a member already, the Pacific Audio website has an excellent forum on GM Trucks: http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 and there are plenty of brake discussions on there.

I own a GM truck of the same vintage, and find that thorough brake bleeding and keeping the rear drums adjusted will go a long way towards improving braking feel and performance.

Hope that helps!

dj06482
1/7/10 11:36 a.m.

Here's a particularly good thread: http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66981&highlight=jb6#66981

dj06482
1/7/10 11:48 a.m.

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81654&highlight=jb6#81654

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/7/10 12:05 p.m.

As mentioned, make sure your brakes are properly adjusted (and bled, of course). It's a VERY common complaint that the brakes feel crappy on these trucks; 99% of the time, once the rear drums are properly adjusted, the owner is completely satisfied with the brakes.

Bryce

dj06482
1/7/10 12:21 p.m.

Unfortunately, the rear drums go out of adjustment within a week or so. You can either readjust the drums the old fashioned way, or use the method I use:

• Find a steep hill

• Back down the hill as fast as you can

• Slam on the brakes

• Repeat 2-3 times

This is the lazy man's method of adjusting the rear brakes. It works, and I use it with good results on a regular basis.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
1/7/10 2:11 p.m.

^ Yep. Like a charm.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
1/7/10 5:23 p.m.

Thank you everyone for all your responses. I'll let you know which route I take (first I'll adjust the drums and re-bleed the system) and let y'all know if the brakes become more confidence inspiring.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
1/7/10 7:53 p.m.

I have owned multiple suburbans and have never found a satisfactory brake system. Eventually they will stop but it is just never comfortable. You always seem to have to fight the brake pedal. Another reason that I prefer Fords nowadays.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/7/10 11:58 p.m.

The brakes on my 2002 Silverado 2500HD are pretty awesome. Front is a huge four pistons caliper with something obscene like 13" rotors. Rear is a less insane, but still worthy disk.

Of course, converting to the 2500HDbrakes would mean upgrading the entire suspension, but it does stop really well.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/10 12:57 a.m.

I had a '99 C2500 w/ disc/drum. The brakes worked well, but were always mushy no matter what. I got a '99 F250 diesel w/ disc/disc later and the brakes were awesome. Sporty car pedal feeling. Both had hydro boost.

Tighe
Tighe New Reader
1/8/10 1:18 a.m.

I can agree to that. I work on multiple GM trucks and SUVs a day. The newer ones never seem to feel great and the older (early to mid nineties) trucks feel absolutely terrifying. The brake pedal on an older GM truck seems to be more of a suggestion than a certainty.

510man
510man
8/22/10 8:34 a.m.

My '99 Suburban brakes were in adequate. At 106K, my original rear brakes were to the rivets so I put the 3/4 ton wheel cylinders on the 1/2 ton truck. They bolt right on without any mods. The 1500 uses a 1" bore and the 2500 uses a 1 1/16" bore.

My brakes are quite a bit better. Was it due to this change? That's hard to say since it was one piece of a brake overhaul. I also moved to Matrix Ceramic brake shoes from Muscle Car Brakes. Which made the bigger difference? I couldn't say but I do recommend this setup for those unhappy with their Suburban brakes.

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/

Critical to success here is getting the rear brakes adjusted correctly. Since GM didn't provide a star adjuster access hole, that's hard to do. Usually, there's a rubber plug at the bottom of the backing plate to remove for adjustment. On the '99, it looks like a metal knockout but it's not. It's a stamp mark so you can't remove it. You have to drill it out. Makes you wonder how they adjusted the brakes at the factory!!

I used Bendix Titanium brake pads up front before. I replaced those with the same pad. I was happy with their performance and dust level. I got 60K out of those pads too. The big box parts stores don't sell Bendix anymore so I had to order through a web retailer.

So, with new hoses, calipers, pads, upgraded wheel cylinders, ceramic brakes shoes and a complete bleed my truck stops adequate. It's not super brakes but they are notably improved over what GM provided when I ordered the truck. And it was 100% bolt on stuff. No more trouble to do than a standard brake job.

Hope it helps somebody.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1txfOZbPIweZGT6YNhZ9o37jjHl5jjT1ZkN1jIrCWixq4mpZufG2QsjeWvTs8ZUH