1 2
JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/29/08 3:06 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: is there any reason to NOT want an 80 wagoneer?

If you live in a bubble under the sea?

Otherwise, no, there's not.

Give me a brown (yes, brown) one. Put it on at least 35s, drop a slightly worked over 360 (keep it running on regular and keep the torque low down in the rpm range), put ford 9 inch in the rear and a hp d44 up front...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/29/08 7:25 a.m.

4bt swap /thread

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
12/29/08 8:16 a.m.

Buy it and the Caddy in the background.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/29/08 10:40 a.m.

welp, it ended ugly. there was an unexpected bidding war between me and the dealerships mechanic. By the time it was over my pockets turned out to be deeper, and for $450 I won. :D

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
12/29/08 5:17 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: Up here in New England and especially in coastal Mass, those were the vehicle to have if you had some money in the bank. All the wealthy families had one or two. You'd see a Mercedes, a BMW and a Wagoneer in the driveway. We called it the Duxbury Limo (Duxbury being a local well-off beach community).

I remember them being called "Duxbury Cadillacs". Millbrook motors made millions on those things,and is probably the only reason that little hole-in-the-wall dealer is still in business.

spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
12/29/08 6:24 p.m.

What you really want is a woody......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqIE9KsenQY

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/30/08 11:58 a.m.

Drove it around some by now. Here's a question;

From a dead stop if I give it a bunch of throttle there's a wheel-speed related banging sound from the front left corner. Heavy, like a somebody whacking the spindle with a 2lb hammer. It makes the same sound if I stop too hard. Once I'm moving it doesn't happen. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm turning or straight. Doesn't happen over bumps.

This amc 360 feels good! Like a lot more than the 160hp rating suggests.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/8/09 1:50 p.m.

Holy crap.

I was vacuuming it out for the first time today. When what do my eyes behold?! Right there under the drivers seat was a little lever. Just the sort of thing you pull when you need more leg room. But no, it read "Pull - Low Range" I'm giddy! When I first bought the truck and didn't see any normal looking levers on the transmission tunnel or on the floor I just thought it came without(which supposedly a lot of quadratrac's do). This thing IS a real truck.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/8/09 2:53 p.m.

Hell of a find there! How's the rust situation? I mean $450 you can't complain. I'm just curious as I've seen these all over VA.

Thumping sounds from the front left? I wonder if you have a trans mount or motor mount that's weak? Could also be exhaust that bangs around as the motor torques over on the mounts. I'd like for impact points on the unit body if the mounts look solid. That'll at least tell you where it's hitting.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/8/09 3:05 p.m.

that's ANOTHER switch. unlike low range, apparently all the quadra-trac units have that one. It locks the diff in the transfer case.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/8/09 3:05 p.m.

I'm guessing the thumping is a bad U-joint in that axle. If it's bad enough to be thumping, you might have some axle damage.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/8/09 3:06 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
derekshannon wrote: And just look at THESE prices... http://www.wagonmasters.com/complete.htm
From what I understand that guy re does them better than new. They look like new to me. I would rather have one of those than a new Explorer.....

Cool. They are recycling old jeeps.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/8/09 3:08 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Hell of a find there! How's the rust situation? I mean $450 you can't complain. I'm just curious as I've seen these all over VA.

surface crust here and there. the rear doors are not good. rockers look sound, quarters and fenders are pretty solid too. NO HOLES. How 'bout that for a description.

Xceler8x wrote: Thumping sounds from the front left? I wonder if you have a trans mount or motor mount that's weak? Could also be exhaust that bangs around as the motor torques over on the mounts. I'd like for impact points on the unit body if the mounts look solid. That'll at least tell you where it's hitting.

it seems to be wheel speed related. I'm suspecting a U-joint there at the left front spindle. maybe a bearing?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
1/8/09 7:38 p.m.

Does it have lockouts on the hubs? A half engaged lockout will make way more noise than it has a right to considering the small parts involved.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/8/09 7:57 p.m.

nope

BAMF
BAMF New Reader
1/8/09 8:07 p.m.

I keep seeing a perfectly mint Wagoneer at the auto shop a few blocks away from my house. Makes me think of The Great Outdoors

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sI0DwoeSqyPN4fIiltU3coXe4hNhy9r72nncxBvnjqYreV4x97PtEmOnlAaKiguj