1 2
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/2/18 8:33 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ebonyandivory said:

I'll admit, I'm not going to read the thread because of how vague this is. No size or offset requirements, what size tire or type do you want to run, etc etc

Ever think it might be vague because I’m interested in several possible vehicular candidates and I’m trying to get a feel for what’s out there? Several other people were mysteriously able to add to the thread.

I’ve seen vague questions that I don’t feel I can answer here before. I usually just don’t respond. No big deal.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/2/18 8:35 p.m.

In reply to echoechoecho :

Definitely been eyeing Echo’s because of your project thread.

The earliest Fit’s have been on my radar.

I bet an Echo with the Konig Helium’s and some additional weight reduction would be a fun little commuter!

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
12/2/18 11:03 p.m.

If you remove the cost and availability requirements.

Mercedes CLK lightweights are 16x7 and weigh only 13lbs. Who knows why MB decided to only put them on the CLK320. Good looking wheel with an offset that actually works with older cars.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/18 12:43 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:
z31maniac said:
ebonyandivory said:

I'll admit, I'm not going to read the thread because of how vague this is. No size or offset requirements, what size tire or type do you want to run, etc etc

Ever think it might be vague because I’m interested in several possible vehicular candidates and I’m trying to get a feel for what’s out there? Several other people were mysteriously able to add to the thread.

I’ve seen vague questions that I don’t feel I can answer here before. I usually just don’t respond. No big deal.

I mean, I think I get it...  based on the threads you've started over the last couple of weeks

you're looking for a simple, lightweight car... you've got a couple candidates, now you need to do some background research about things to pick up to aid it's performance.  I've been having similar off-hand thoughts about shocks... since they seem to be an important delineator in performance.

the real question, I reckon is, are you building this up for Challenge/Gastropod and/or some SCCA class afterwards, possibly?  I think it's a strong possibility... and if so, covers some of the "cheap lightweight wheels" and "cheap lightweight car" and "universal parts" things.  but, I reserve the right to be wrong here.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/3/18 4:39 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

You’re absolutely on the right track. And you’ve summed up my train(s) of thought quite well! I’m always contemplating the feasibility of actually competing which is why I’m looking into several relatively similar vehicles and not more practical but bulkier daily drivers like an Accord or Camry or even a P71. Though I’ve not narrowed them down enough to get very specific about offsets and backspacing, I’m am able refine my searches a bit better.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/3/18 9:04 a.m.
buzzboy said:

If you remove the cost and availability requirements.

Mercedes CLK lightweights are 16x7 and weigh only 13lbs. Who knows why MB decided to only put them on the CLK320. Good looking wheel with an offset that actually works with older cars.

Driving home from work, I often pass a lady driving a Merc convertible that has these wheels on them.  I love them.    

aw614
aw614 Reader
12/3/18 9:11 a.m.

Those CLK lightweights remind me of ATS Cups

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
12/3/18 9:17 a.m.

I love them too. We buy them whenever we find them.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/18 9:50 a.m.

I looked up Konig Heliums and they're light because they're skinny (available in 15x6.5 or 16x7, but putting 16s on a performance car puts you into tire selection hell).

Some new, light, and relatively cheap wheels avaiilable in wider sizes that I know of are Avanti Storm S1s, 949 6ULs and Konig Dial-Ins. Lots of Miatas at this year's Challenge were running S1s.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/18 10:41 a.m.

anyone want to buy 80 15x7 4x100 wheels off of alibaba, and become the Gastropod wheel supplier?

(I'm only half kidding)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zyLnVDbRKnUy5z55jDVOu4EwhD5Iaz9gW5T46aPvuQFSxEO5jKR1sZwdGcJCcsgx