DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/21/15 10:23 a.m.

Looking at options for a Challenge drive train and came across a 1998 Volvo V70 T5 engine. Anyone know if there's a Challenge friendly transmission that would bolt up to it for a RWD application? I have found $600+ adapters to bolt in the GM version of the T5 manual transmission. Need a cheaper idea.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/15 10:34 a.m.

For easy searching they are called the "whiteblock" engine.

The M90 bolts up but you would have to find one for sale or import from overseas and likely not challenge friendly.

If you can deal with an automatic you could get one from a 960.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/21/15 10:55 a.m.

Bellhousing from a 960, simple-ish adapter plate between bellhousing and T5 trans, the bellhousing needs a clutch fork window cut into it. The V70's I5 requires a cut down oil pan from a 960's I6, to get rear sump, also modified oil pick-up tube. You also want a single mass flywheel and pressure plate from a manual 850.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/15 10:59 a.m.

I like where this is going.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/21/15 11:02 a.m.

EvanB is right, the M90 is the "easy" answer, but they were never available in the US, I don't think anywhere in North America either. Buying and importing from Europe would not be "Challenge friendly." There's a few unicorns that have been imported already, but I can't imagine someone who knew what they had letting it go for cheap.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/21/15 11:13 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:
I found a thread where a group was talking about doing that type of adapter, but it wasn't clear to me what engines they were discussing. That might be doable without access to machine tools. I'll have to do some measuring because I may be better off with a front sump. Finding all the other bits isn't impossible with the number of u-pull-it junkyards around here. The "white block" thing will help with researching,too. Thanks, Gang.This is why I really like the GRM crowd.

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
1/21/15 11:46 a.m.

Seems like you've got it already figured out, havent seen a cheaper option other than t5...t5 to t5, tt10?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/21/15 11:54 a.m.

I'm almost positive the 960, s90 and V90 were the only rear drive models to use the white block, and I'm pretty sure that they never brought manual transmissions into Canada either. I bet they are a bit of a unicorn even in Europe.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/21/15 11:55 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

The FWD I5 Whiteblocks don't so much have a front sump, as a full length sump.

Here's a side-by-side of a 960 pan and a 960 pan cut down to fit an I5 Whiteblock.

Further useful info: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=163457

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/15 1:01 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

I can see that I am not relevant here

I could have sworn that I saw someone use the bellhousing chunk from a frontdrive (auto) trans to mate up to a RWD trans. Something about the way the case was split made this feasible.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/21/15 1:17 p.m.

You can use the mentioned 960 bell + a toyota R or W series (and all the cousins) with a adapter for mating a 1uz toyota v8 to a manual. There are CAD files available from some guy (going to have to google that) for $25. Cut from steel, you are looking at $100 for the adapter plus the other required stuff. Use a hydraulic throwout (check Lextreme) and the mentioned 850 flywheel. This is an option if a T5 is not cheaply available/you want to avoid. I have a Volvo t6 that needs a rebuild and a W58 looking for a home. If you go this route, I will probably buy an adapter to help you mitigate cost.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/21/15 1:49 p.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to bigdaddylee82: I can see that I am not relevant here I could have sworn that I saw someone use the bellhousing chunk from a frontdrive (auto) trans to mate up to a RWD trans. Something about the way the case was split made this feasible.

I saw something to that effect on some Volvo forum last night. They were talking about an adapter between the auto bell housing and the front of a T5 trans. I'll have to try and find it again now that the colour code they use about various blocks has been revealed.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/21/15 2:09 p.m.

Never mind, I just read bigdaddylee82's link.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/15 4:46 p.m.

I'd go that route, since FWD autos came behind maybe 80-90% of every whiteblock ever made while 960s are super rare.

NB: One of my regular customers has a 960. It's weird how it refuses to rust. Only one I've ever seen.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/21/15 6:30 p.m.

Parts from an S/V90 should work in lieu of 960 parts too.

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
1/21/15 9:38 p.m.

960s are super rare? I dont think so...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/22/15 7:11 a.m.
chiodos wrote: 960s are super rare? I dont think so...

Maybe not in your neighborhood, but around here the 740/940 outsold them at least 50 to 1.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/22/15 7:18 a.m.

I wouldn't call them super rare but they aren't common.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZiAWFunpFhNUTTpVIAp5oTVA315ScpB52fHVu4DFbHwr3kb1nXs8DPJIaTTfhozb