1 2
eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
12/1/10 8:58 a.m.

Now that I think about it, the most comfortable seats in a car I've owned were in my 95 Thunderbird. Between, the seats, dash, and ride, that was pretty much the perfect long distance car. I still think about buying another if I can find one in good condition, and with one of the mystic paint jobs.

How hard would it be to switch the head rest? I mean really it is removing the headrest and dropping new one in.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/1/10 9:02 a.m.

On my 2010 Ford Escape the front headrest adjust up and down but do not seem removable.
Probably not removable "for my saftey."
The rear headrests are removable and must be removed to fully fold the rear seat. Since I often have the seat down, those 3 headrest remain in my house at all times.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
12/1/10 9:48 a.m.

My wife has a 2008 Escape and the seats are badly stained from.....water! Yup, she heard they were made with recycled materials. The dealer told her to put a hot towel on them. That made it worse. As far as comfort, they're not too bad. By the way, anyone else have this problem?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/1/10 9:59 a.m.

I am not aware of stains from water but i can confirm coffee.
In the 6 months and 17k miles of this new Escape, the tan seats have gotten pretty dirty. I attributed it to the tan color being way too light colored for my use (I did not pick the color.)
In about another 2.5 yrs the seats should be pretty well trashed.
Interestingly, I have noticed some "pilling" of the cloth on the seat bottom from getting in and out of the car already.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/1/10 10:12 a.m.

I have never seen worse ergonomics than in a 2002 Lincoln TC I drove a couple weeks ago. You would think with adjustable pedals, 9-way power seats, and telescoping steering wheel you could get comfy.

Even with the seat the whole way back, reaching way out for the steering wheel, and the pedals adjusted all the way to the floor, I was still sniffing my knees. Terrible.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
12/1/10 11:20 a.m.
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic wrote: How hard would it be to switch the head rest? I mean really it is removing the headrest and dropping new one in.

Well, I ran a headrest facility and one of my beefs with the design group was that no one ever designed a new headrest and used an existing frame. We made 196 different part numbers and there were 196 different frames. You might find a headrest for the same OEM with the same rod diameter and center-to-center spacing, but the notches will be different, so it might not work. If you did find interchangeable headrest it would be a fluke,it wasn't done by design!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
12/1/10 10:34 p.m.

The best seats I've planted my butt in so far were in my 96' Probe GT. Cloth seats with adjustable side bolsters and back support. Probably too narrow for the average american but they fit me perfect.

The recaro's in my svt focus were nice heated leather pieces but still could have used larger bolsters and a deeper seat bottom. I want to sit in the seat, no so much on top of it.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/2/10 8:55 a.m.

The best stock seats i've been in, in no particular order:

MX3 Recaros
1g MX6 seats
90-93 AllTrac seats
E36 M3 "Vaders."

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
12/2/10 9:43 a.m.

If you don't like the new headrests, just wait until you try to drive with a helmet on. It's like trying to hit apexes while staring at your navel.

David

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/10 12:36 a.m.

The bench seat in my Toyota is pretty bad. However, the truck is 23 years old and has 194k on it so the seat is a bit used.

I had to drive an Acura TSX home last night. Loved the seats. Hated the car. Loved the seats.

red5_02
red5_02 New Reader
12/3/10 12:57 p.m.

Grab a hold of the head restraint from behind the seat. Put your knee in the seat back and pull on the restraint. Problem solved

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
12/3/10 8:34 p.m.

The seats in my 05 mustang are the most comfortable I've ever had for short or long trips. The leather could be definitely better, and my wife HATES the seats. I do think the ergonomics are pretty iffy - there is a very narrow margin where the seat alignment works with pedals and steering wheel. It took me a while to find it and a while to recover if my seat gets moved.

The headrests are very forward, but I like it. I tend to sit very upright and the headrests are almost touching my head. This allows me to comfortably drive whith my head on the headrest at times during long trips (not advisable when tired.) they can be removed by inserting a paper clip in a tiny hole on the inside of one base trim and pulling up. when I autocross, I have to remove the driver headrest and turn it around backwards to clear my helmet.

When we were shopping for a used Explorer in 2000, (in the 95-98 model range) we found that the XLT trim level seats were miserably hard when done in leather, but perfectly comfortable when cloth. We bought a cloth seat XLT and are still happy with it today.

Interestingly, I'm normally very unhappy with chevy seats, especially in their trucks.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
12/4/10 2:19 p.m.

My boss had a late-'90s Probe GT and my friend had an SN95 'Stang. I couldn't ride in either of them for more than 15 minutes. The Probe in particualr was awful - there was some kind of taut wire or bar right across the middle of the back. And this was brand new.

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho wrote: I had to drive an Acura TSX home last night. Loved the seats. Hated the car. Loved the seats.

Original generation or the new Decepticon version?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qfFx13Y92cUaIunVZ5DIlMqzUJ6WMH3j3GMJmtCyLJXvWVKW5iGPenEcX4FBudHP