1 2
Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
1/8/15 1:53 p.m.

Tell us about it. What happened, what kind of tires, was it a six or eight point buck that ran in front of you car, etc.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
1/8/15 2:01 p.m.

Tried and tried when I first got the car, no go . . . didn't know that I could turn it off.

And this was with a Mustang which really should spin on a dime regardless.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/15 2:01 p.m.

This sounds like a challenge.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/15 2:03 p.m.

I realized that I've never raced a car with any more electro-nannies than ABS and a rev limiter.

Well some of the cars I've autocrossed also had a top speed limiter...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/15 2:12 p.m.

intentionally, 1st gen scion xb, unplowed snow covered parking lot, Scandinavian flick with a handbrake finish. Then I remembered to turn off traction control and it was more fun. Stability control will beep nearly constantly, but I manage to get it to do that with regularity on dry pavement as well.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
1/8/15 2:16 p.m.

My moms SX4 hatch. AWD on, crappy all seasons and some fresh snow....no problem. To do it without meaning to could be hard.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
1/8/15 2:19 p.m.

Yup!

G35 coupe 6 speed MT with LM blizzaks.

But we were on a frozen lake, the ABS/tcs was angry.

Lake in question is in avatar.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/8/15 2:35 p.m.

I spun a 360 today on the ice.

oh wait..I don't have nanny-controls in my car.

But a full 360 and kept driving at 15-20mph. It was fun.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/8/15 2:42 p.m.

Yep. Ages ago when I first got my E36. Traction control was a novelty back then. Was trying to see what the traction control would do in the rain if I nailed the throttle in a corner. I was in a deserted parking lot.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/8/15 2:45 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7: Probably a good thing!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
1/8/15 3:01 p.m.

No. I've tried but the only vehicles with traction/stability control that I've driven have been family cars or suvs with obviously intrusive safety first systems.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/8/15 3:10 p.m.

So far this thread is a serious testament to modern traction control

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/8/15 3:11 p.m.

I heard that the more modern stability and traction control systems can control steering input via the electric steering units and ABS modulation, making them almost impossible to spin.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/8/15 3:22 p.m.

I've tried many times to sling my malibu around. Without using the e-brake, you can only get it to just step out before the nannies straighten it out.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/8/15 4:00 p.m.

Sister driving an AWD Fusion.....spun her into a fence/tree. It was a very nervous system on gravel roads as well. Seemed to punish you for knowing how to drive. If you corrected a slide in the early stages with counter steering, it'd send you the other way out of control.

evildky
evildky Dork
1/8/15 4:16 p.m.

I did, it was a 2013 GT500. Gobs of power, no where near enough traction. It managed to put down enough power between the asc farts to put it into a spin. It was quite humbling to drive.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/8/15 4:27 p.m.

Never owned anything is stability control so no.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
1/8/15 4:31 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

The 2014 Explorer I rented in Arizona was the same way, driving down gravel/sand roads the nannies were a huge PITA, highly counter intuitive.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/15 4:32 p.m.

Yes.

2006 S2000 on RE01s. Trail Braking deep into a corner.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/8/15 4:40 p.m.

My mustang will step the back end out pretty good on midcorner hard throttle before the nannies grab it. In wet conditions if you're real stupid I think you could it all the way around.

A friend with an 07 Z06 swears you can do exactly one half a donut with the TC on. Every time.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/8/15 4:41 p.m.

2008 Honda fit sport, 2011 Honda Fit sport, a slew of white, unmarked work vans, and even the r35 gtr I drove in Vegas (well, I didn't spin out, I peeled out...and yes it was on)

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/8/15 5:39 p.m.

On a frozen lake, I can spin my Fiesta with out the SC light even coming.

On a dirt road, I have had it activate. Car got sideways and just as I was about to counter steer the SC kicked in and straightend the car out.

I have not had any problem with the TC, especially what several have reported.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/8/15 6:25 p.m.

My dad did with a spanking new c6 z06. Traction control went haywire and CAUSED a spin, pinwheeling him down a wall at 60mph. Totaled the car. Gm saud there wasn't any issues. There was a thread on corvette forum, over 60 pages long about the issue.

It mysteriiusly dissapeared.

Cease and desist order?

Yes, I know i come across as a troll on this, but im still pretty pissed. Dad actually got banned from the forum, as well as me, for openly talking about the issues. Weren't even given a warning first.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/8/15 6:44 p.m.

physics is still physics … I wonder if you could spin a FWD car by lifting from full throttle mid corner … seems the sudden weight transfer would be able to overcome any nanny

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/8/15 7:44 p.m.
wbjones wrote: physics is still physics … I wonder if you could spin a FWD car by lifting from full throttle mid corner… seems the sudden weight transfer would be able to overcome any nanny

Face palm. Read my above post. Honda Fit. Lift. Turn. Plant. Smile.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IflIDvikBGe4PutIpnm64lVieguouyns1jOR41TqnA4ZmDFTfQarZKLVxeZh6MKc