sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/10/15 8:57 p.m.

That seems like an absurd amount for a youtube channel doesn't it? I like the idea of supporting people who are trying to make a living doing this stuff but….

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
4/10/15 8:59 p.m.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
No.
Plenty of other quality online programming that doesn't cost a thing.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
4/10/15 9:04 p.m.

They package the videos differently on vimeo and you can buy access to the entire "season" for the price of 3 months of YouTube or buy access to the videos individually.

I'll withhold my personal commentary and just post useful info.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/10/15 9:32 p.m.

I'd rather send four bucks a month directly to the guys at Roadkill.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/15 9:35 p.m.

I did...until Harris left

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/10/15 9:44 p.m.

I do. I really don't like that Chris Harris had to leave /Drive. Even without him, and Leo with his old program, it's worth it, especially since they put their NBC Sports shows on it. Motor Trend and Top Gear are the only older direct competitors to /Drive, and they each approach the same vehicles with a different writing and entertainment style to watch all of them. I may want to check out Vimeo to save a few bucks, and I'm sure it will still help them make excellent shows.

In reply to SnowMongoose: Actually, Youtube isn't free since they throw advertising embedded in the videos, along with the banner ads. Especially when they throw up ads based on your search history.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
4/11/15 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

No money leaving my pocket = free.
That's funny about the targeted ads, Youtube very rarely plays ads that even peripherally interest me.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
4/11/15 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

Chris didn't have to leave Drive, and actually he didn't completely leave, he just took his videos and ran after he didn't get the views. He still appears on Drive on NBCsports and still has his stake in Drive to my knowledge.

As for paying for videos, making that type of high quality video requires funding. If it had just went away, people would say it was such a shame and they would've paid to keep it going, but no one on the internet ever puts their money where their mouth is.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
4/11/15 9:11 p.m.
Tactical Penguin wrote: I'd rather send four bucks a month directly to the guys at Roadkill.

Something tells me they no longer need it.

Heard they shacked up with some wealthy Italian...

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/11/15 10:35 p.m.

A few people put their money where their mouth is. You can tell when you read the comments in the /Drive videos and the /Drive+ videos. Plus, there's less bashing of others' opinions in the /Drive+ comments.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
4/11/15 11:00 p.m.

I do, mainly for Matt Farah but I was enjoying some of the Aussie racer stuff also.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/12/15 8:16 a.m.

I've got to wonder if it was $1 a month, if they'd have more viewers and make more money?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/12/15 11:43 a.m.

I was, but the videos are meh. So I stopped. I now give money directly to Chris Harris ($5/month) even though I don't have to pay to view his videos.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BwPoF0l31ekmXU8sDNflfkJgWGPXx2kepkO5LSjpGEf05859selQVqRr58P26FCj