Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/12/13 9:58 a.m.

The April issue mailed last week.

Margie

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/14/13 10:15 a.m.

Yep - got mine in the mail yesterday. Looks like a great issue from what I've read so far.

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/14/13 10:18 a.m.

Just got mine too.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/14/13 10:20 a.m.

Margie, while you're here:

Why do magazines mail April's issue in the first week of February? Making up for overseas delivery lead-times?

Just curious. Really bothers my OCD.

Marjorie Suddard
2/14/13 10:30 a.m.

Magazines mail April's issues the first week of February because that's what the newsstand expects. If you were to actually get an issue to the retailers shortly before the cover date, you'd spend little time on the racks because the folks stocking those racks would be extremely likely to remove your newly arrived copies along with all the other magazines' old issues, once the next super-early batch of magazines arrived.

The same herd mentality also means that once people start seeing other April issues, even though it's February, they will assume yours is late if they don't get it around the same time.

So there's safety in numbers, if not much sense. ;-)

Margie

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/14/13 11:32 a.m.

I have already read my april copy......

miatame
miatame HalfDork
2/14/13 11:42 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I have already read my april copy......

How is the spotters guide?

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
2/14/13 11:46 a.m.

Got mine. Lots of datsun goodness in there

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/14/13 11:58 a.m.

Blah, still haven't gotten mine. I've been looking forward to it ever since we left the Best Western parking lot after the $2012 Challenge.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
2/14/13 5:51 p.m.

I am on vacation and my brother sent me a pic of the cover. I think it is excellent, then I am biased to my Car. Thanks GRM. Stan

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
2/14/13 6:02 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Lots of datsun goodness in there

^^Can't wait!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/14/13 6:06 p.m.
stan_d wrote: I am on vacation and my brother sent me a pic of the cover. I think it is excellent, then I am biased to my Car. Thanks GRM. Stan

I just pulled it out of the mailbox 10 minutes ago.
Very cool cover for you!

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
2/14/13 6:18 p.m.
stan_d wrote: I am on vacation and my brother sent me a pic of the cover. I think it is excellent, then I am biased to my Car. Thanks GRM. Stan

Jeez, Stan, you couldn't plan your vacation around the magazine's arrival time?

stan_d
stan_d Dork
2/14/13 6:23 p.m.

I have been running away to Florida for January and febuary for last 3 yrs. Getting away from ice and snow.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/14/13 6:36 p.m.

Got mine yesterday. MR2 in it!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
2/14/13 6:40 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote:
JoeyM wrote: Lots of datsun goodness in there
^^Can't wait!

Nothing here yet........

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
2/14/13 6:48 p.m.

I just got mine today. Every article looks great I am currently perusing it at work while I and suppossed to be working lol

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/14/13 8:28 p.m.

mine should be here by the end of next week maybe

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
2/15/13 8:10 a.m.

BTW, finally reading it now, and I love this comment in Tim's column:

"You could argue that raising the boots, adding nearly 100 horsepower, and then wailing the crap out of a 200,000-mile car that has never had its engine rebuilt is asking for trouble, but heck, that's what we do."

That's why I love you guys.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/15/13 8:43 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Magazines mail April's issues the first week of February because that's what the newsstand expects. If you were to actually get an issue to the retailers shortly before the cover date, you'd spend little time on the racks because the folks stocking those racks would be extremely likely to remove your newly arrived copies along with all the other magazines' old issues, once the next super-early batch of magazines arrived. The same herd mentality also means that once people start seeing other April issues, even though it's February, they will assume yours is late if they don't get it around the same time. So there's safety in numbers, if not much sense. ;-) Margie

I am not a highly trained professional but I was under the impression that the cover date is the date the magazine is supposed to be removed from the stand, not pushed to it.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/15/13 8:50 a.m.

Got mine yesterday - Good job guys - it has content I've been rooting through - it's been a while since I've done more than a quick read/skim. I;m digging in and spending more time with this issue.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/15/13 8:51 a.m.

Here in the NE it takes about two weeks from the time GRM mails them. It is always that way. I usually have to scan the forum for spoilers for a week or two prior to getting my copy otherwise I feel like I have read it by the time I get it.

Marjorie Suddard
2/15/13 9:33 a.m.
Lugnut wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Magazines mail April's issues the first week of February because that's what the newsstand expects. If you were to actually get an issue to the retailers shortly before the cover date, you'd spend little time on the racks because the folks stocking those racks would be extremely likely to remove your newly arrived copies along with all the other magazines' old issues, once the next super-early batch of magazines arrived. The same herd mentality also means that once people start seeing other April issues, even though it's February, they will assume yours is late if they don't get it around the same time. So there's safety in numbers, if not much sense. ;-) Margie
I am not a highly trained professional but I was under the impression that the cover date is the date the magazine is supposed to be removed from the stand, not pushed to it.

You are correct, that is how the business has evolved - though I struggle with the concept of evolution being included in any discussion of the newsstand business, which still boasts its share of Tony Soprano types...

Margie

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/15/13 10:32 a.m.

I'll get when I get it, no rush.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
esPf5doYrhJ6z2kria0v41JSvpQ7kjPQi5GYROOxgHKWUVlmLyThkfhf2qhNFw2I