1 2
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/19 8:40 p.m.

on a rat rod. I've had to much wine and can't tell anymore. Also there are a LOT of lug nuts out there. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/19 8:41 p.m.

No.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/19 8:42 p.m.

thank you

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
12/17/19 8:47 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I've had to much wine 

You already answered your own question. But as Woody succinctly put it NO

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/17/19 9:57 p.m.

When combined with a rat rod they're doubly not cool.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/18/19 12:36 a.m.

The closest to yes I can give you is that it would be fractionally better on a rat rod than on the E36 M3ty VWs I associate them with.

No.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/18/19 3:22 a.m.

Your car is not a ratrod.

This is a ratrod.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/18/19 5:50 a.m.

Spike lug nuts are only cool on cop cars and school buses. Everyone else is trying too hard. 

No Time
No Time Dork
12/18/19 6:09 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Spike lug nuts are only cool on cop cars and school buses. Everyone else is trying too hard. 

Spike lug nuts on cop cars need to be fully functional (see Ben Hur chariot race) and not stamped covers to truly be cool, otherwise they are just posers. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/19 6:33 a.m.

I've yet to see anything that was improved with spiked lug nuts. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/18/19 6:44 a.m.

No. Never have been, never will be.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/19 6:49 a.m.

Yes. Yes they are. Particularly in appliance vehicles. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 6:52 a.m.

Agree the rice rod is not a rat.  Rat rods have become people doing things as hacky and E36 M3ty as they can just to make it that way.  You're building a hot rod.  No, spiked lugs are not cool unless you have a flat black 1985 celebrity with red wheels 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/18/19 7:14 a.m.

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/18/19 8:44 a.m.

Um... I'm afraid to say... I like them in a proper application.

Camry?  No.

This?  Yes.

Image result for rat rod truck

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
12/18/19 8:50 a.m.

No, if you already ordered them change the shipping address to my house and I'll put them on my wife's CRV just to see how long it'll take her to notice. 

We need a poll option for questions like this. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/18/19 9:11 a.m.
NickD said:

No. Never have been, never will be.

This is the correct answer.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
12/18/19 9:20 a.m.

Spike lug nuts are for people who don't give a E36 M3 what other people think. If you have to ask, it's not for you.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
12/18/19 9:27 a.m.
Curtis said:

Um... I'm afraid to say... I like them in a proper application.

Camry?  No.

This?  Yes.

Image result for rat rod truck

I wonder if you catch your shins on those when you walk around the side like you do when you forget the trailer hitch is in?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/18/19 9:32 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I've had to much wine and can't tell anymore. 

Whiskey will give you much better ideas. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/18/19 9:35 a.m.

I was talking to Jerry Falwell about this before he died, and he held the opinion that low quality, rainbow colored, male genitalia prosthetics would be cooler than spikes. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/19 9:47 a.m.
TopNoodles said:

Spike lug nuts are for people who don't give a E36 M3 what other people think. If you have to ask, it's not for you.

No, spike lug nuts are for people who want everyone to think they don't give a E36 M3 what other people think.

Much like rat rods themselves in their modern version.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/18/19 10:11 a.m.

To put it bluntly, it doesn't matter AT ALL what anyone else's opinion is. If you like them then add them.

This is NOT directed at maschinenbau but I'm begging anyone who will listen to not let other people make decisions for you no matter how small.

I like Rat Rods. Not all of them but as far as I can tell no one built a car to please me so who cares what I think.

If you ask someone if this red looks better than that red and just need some other perspective, so be it but no one gets to decide what's cool or not but you.

As a little aside, I sometimes listen to a podcast and the biggest farce was the (actually several) episodes wherein the host was telling the listeners how to be a man. He went on at length about what pants to wear and with what belt and shoes and jacket etc. He told the listeners that as a man, you CANNOT wear flip flops with zero exceptions.

The whole time, I couldn't get past the incredible irony of a guy listening to another guy telling him how to be a man by telling him how to dress and act.

Sorry, I'm just passionate about being independent. Sure, gather the facts and even others opinions but PLEASE don't do something because someone told you to... or to not do.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
12/18/19 10:12 a.m.

They have to be I just saw them on a brand new Suburban.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/18/19 10:24 a.m.

No, nope, no way are they cool.  They aren't just uncool, they're dangerous and once I'm benevolent dictator they will be banned.  Anyone who wants to keep them has to stand stock still by the side of the road and have someone else drive past them at 15mph as they grind away their shins with the stupid things.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XexLnaTPvOTAMTHz6eXOdnKR0CCi41evjmUSVd7CWJ4AoO67OuHGLBbBVZn0RPx8