1 2
wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/18/19 10:32 a.m.
No Time said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Spike lug nuts are only cool on cop cars and school buses. Everyone else is trying too hard. 

Spike lug nuts on cop cars need to be fully functional (see Ben Hur chariot race) and not stamped covers to truly be cool, otherwise they are just posers. 

Agree. This is the only Ben Hur style wheel I've had on any of my cars and I had to argue when the car was imported - they wanted safety knock offs. And no, they didn't pop out of the hubs like Bond's Aston, to shred tires.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/19 10:42 a.m.

Don' worry guys. I ordered some normal ones to get rolling again. But I think it could look good, if done right. 

100% agree with the notion of "rat rods" these days trying way too hard to be "rat". I'm just building a hot rod, that happens to have a E36 M3ty body for now.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
12/18/19 11:08 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Mamma Mia

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 11:46 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

No, nope, no way are they cool.  They aren't just uncool, they're dangerous and once I'm benevolent dictator they will be banned.  Anyone who wants to keep them has to stand stock still by the side of the road and have someone else drive past them at 15mph as they grind away their shins with the stupid things.

Any time I see a tractor-trailer with them while driving, I kinda want to drive real close to them and grind my fender/door/whathaveyou on them.  It's the automotive equivalent of a backscratcher.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/18/19 11:51 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

No, nope, no way are they cool.  They aren't just uncool, they're dangerous and once I'm benevolent dictator they will be banned.  Anyone who wants to keep them has to stand stock still by the side of the road and have someone else drive past them at 15mph as they grind away their shins with the stupid things.

That doesn't sound very benevolent 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/18/19 12:07 p.m.

If you put them on a "true" rat rod, it's not cool, because they cost money.

Note: there are almost no "true" rat rods, that are even called rat rods.

Current "rat rods" would be more accurately called: High dollar rod builds made to looks like run down POS's.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 12:14 p.m.
Curtis said:

Um... I'm afraid to say... I like them in a proper application.

Camry?  No.

This?  Yes.

Image result for rat rod truck

That is cool inspite of the spiked lugnuts, not because of them.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
12/18/19 12:34 p.m.

I'm OK with a compromise. You are allowed to have spiked lug nuts as long as you wear this while driving:

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/18/19 3:01 p.m.
Wally said:
Curtis said:

Camry?  No.

This?  Yes.

That is cool inspite of the spiked lugnuts, not because of them.

Needs even MORE spikes.  Bumper, eyebrow, rocker panels, and passenger seat.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/19 4:09 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

I agree with this. If I'm asked my opinion I might say it is "X." Do I go tell a person that is doing "Y" that they are wrong and they should do "X?" berkeley no. That's a definition of an asshat.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/18/19 4:10 p.m.

I have a problem with things that are specifically designed to be cool, with no other function.  Cool is a simple thing.  If you are trying to be cool, that makes you uncool.  Spiked nuts fit that category for me.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/19 4:11 p.m.
NickD said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

That's the cool part about being a dictator! laugh

chandler
chandler PowerDork
12/19/19 9:09 a.m.
Shadeux said:

I've yet to see anything that was improved with spiked lug nuts. 

I think:

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/19/19 11:05 a.m.
Shadeux said:
NickD said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

That's the cool part about being a dictator! laugh

It's totally benevolent.  I'd be saving people from a) advertising they are complete douche bags and b) improving public safety.  I aim to serve my subjects.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/19/19 1:48 p.m.
Cactus said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Mamma Mia

When I went back to see what Tuna wrote, I legitimately guffawed.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/19/19 5:40 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

To put it bluntly, it doesn't matter AT ALL what anyone else's opinion is. If you like them then add them.

This is NOT directed at maschinenbau but I'm begging anyone who will listen to not let other people make decisions for you no matter how small.

I like Rat Rods. Not all of them but as far as I can tell no one built a car to please me so who cares what I think.

If you ask someone if this red looks better than that red and just need some other perspective, so be it but no one gets to decide what's cool or not but you.

As a little aside, I sometimes listen to a podcast and the biggest farce was the (actually several) episodes wherein the host was telling the listeners how to be a man. He went on at length about what pants to wear and with what belt and shoes and jacket etc. He told the listeners that as a man, you CANNOT wear flip flops with zero exceptions.

The whole time, I couldn't get past the incredible irony of a guy listening to another guy telling him how to be a man by telling him how to dress and act.

Sorry, I'm just passionate about being independent. Sure, gather the facts and even others opinions but PLEASE don't do something because someone told you to... or to not do.

Idk, I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of stampie welding in flip flops, or at least using a grinder, and I bet he's way more man than dude on the radio. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
12/19/19 6:48 p.m.

I wish they weren’t legal, and they are definitely never cool.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/20/19 1:25 a.m.
D2W said:
Curtis said:

Camry?  No.

This?  Yes.

I wonder if you catch your shins on those when you walk around the side like you do when you forget the trailer hitch is in?

That's because nothing say BMF like driving around with puddles of your own blood inbthe floorboard.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
otjxivOiaDcYON32QFYrKAxYWc9JXYZHal3ALiVWEeyRPLkM35bopyygYzPK7pp2