NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/1/24 4:08 p.m.

I was at an autocross this weekend and was tech'ing an NB1 that was wearing a set of these johnnies. Never seen or heard of them before but the guy running them said that they came from Tire Streets, and he stumbled across them while buying rallycross tires (leave it to the rallycross guys to find the weirdest tires). Apparently they're $124ea in the popular 205/50R15 size. Just curious if GRM has done, or is considering doing any testing on them. (I know you guys love testing some tires)

https://tirestreets.com/products/armstrong-blu-trac-race

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/1/24 5:33 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Tom ran a set in an endurance race (TireStreets says they are an Endurance 200).  Not going to steal his thunder but based on that experience, i'm not in a huge hurry to do a full test.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
8/2/24 8:30 p.m.

I just turned in my review, and it should be posted early next week.

TL;DR, the pace isn't there but they're cheap and durable with good street manners. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/24 8:53 p.m.

No 245/40-15 or even 225/45-15. I am disappoint. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/24 9:49 p.m.

Blu-Trac, huh? I see what they did there.

...okay, maybe I'm the only one who spent too much time reading his dad's PV4 in the 80s. Blu-Trac is a play on Tru-Trac, which is the tire in the photo here. It was a really popular flotation tire on 4x4s back in the olden times.

I know, not germaine to the conversation. I'll see myself out.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/3/24 11:24 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

TL;DR, the pace isn't there but they're cheap and durable with good street manners. 

Might have to use them on my Miata as street tires next year, since Continental has discontinued the ECS 02 in 15" offerings

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/3/24 11:26 a.m.

When I ran Spec Miata, we went to from the Toyo R1 to the 888, and the 888's were horrible.  But the big heavy cars that ran in SpeedWorld Challenge absolutely loved them.  The 888 seemed to have a much stiffer sidewall, and on a car that was over-sprung, under-damped already, it made things worse.

So, I would caution against crossing a tire off your list if you run a different car than what the test car is.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/24 12:44 p.m.
NickD said:
Tom Suddard said:

Might have to use them on my Miata as street tires next year, since Continental has discontinued the ECS 02 in 15" offerings

No more 15" ECS02 is really bad news. 
I can't run the 16 inch wheels on my car since it's limited to a six inch width. 
Don't know what to choose for an E Street autocross rain tire. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/3/24 12:46 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
NickD said:
Tom Suddard said:

No more 15" ECS02 is really bad news. 
I can't run the 16 inch wheels on my car since it's limited to a six inch width. 
Don't know what to choose for an E Street autocross rain tire. 

I fortunately got a set if ECS 02s in 15s for my Spyder last year, but the RE71RSs are still damn fast in the rain. 

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
8/3/24 2:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

No 245/40-15 or even 225/45-15. I am disappoint. 

They do have the Accelera 651 in 225/45-15. Which is a perfectly okay tire if you just pretend its a 300tw.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/24 5:08 p.m.

My grandpa was an Armstrong dealer for 50 years.  I didn't realize the brand was still around.   

They made some great off road tires. Dick Cepek's  off road tires were actually made by Armstrong.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/5/24 5:06 p.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests. Considering doing a non-SCCA Autox later this month that's 200tw only. I might buy a set for the F0RS

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/24 8:12 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Blu-Trac, huh? I see what they did there.

...okay, maybe I'm the only one who spent too much time reading his dad's PV4 in the 80s. Blu-Trac is a play on Tru-Trac, which is the tire in the photo here. It was a really popular flotation tire on 4x4s back in the olden times.

I know, not germaine to the conversation. I'll see myself out.

Don't forget the Pro-Trac!

I couldn't find the ad from the 80s where they had the tires heated to liquid-gluey heat, and they had stuck gloves on the tire and pulled back strings of rubber like cheese on a pizza.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/24 8:27 p.m.

We have something on these tires coming up shortly. (I’ve said too much.)

poopshovel again
8/6/24 5:06 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Feel free to say "Yes, Mike, spend $800 on these janky tires to win a plastic FTD trophy" or "Mike, you should buy yourself a nice used Baritone Tele"

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
8/7/24 9:24 a.m.
poopshovel again
8/8/24 4:34 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Badass, Tom. "R-comp tire" has 255/35 18 v730's for $184 ea so I think I'm gonna go that route. Cuz it's all about me.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/8/24 7:49 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That they offer any 15" versions at all is a bit of a win.  Unfortunately, the only 16" version they offer won't work for me. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/9/24 3:01 p.m.

StanO87
StanO87 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/24 11:59 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

I'm looking forward to the new Hoosier Street tire though limited sizes for quite some time.  Looking at end of year for 205-&50-15.  I see a couple sizes available.  Anyone know if these will be aimed at Super 200 AX or Enduro tires?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
drU3O5BSJD964uSnCVzeKwQlHxZhrHqgduTYkR0tq2KW3Ik3k2FxYYKrzLkFQSUG