1 2
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 3:20 p.m.

So I've got this languishing Porsche 924 project (gutted interior, fiberglass quarters, buckboard suspension, 95 raging horsepowers) and now that I have kids, I was thinking of tracking down a rear seat and making it something I could take them to school in on nice days or to the track for a day watching racing.  Mostly just adding sound deadening, better carpeting, softer suspension, maybe a little horsepower that sort of thing.

My 3-year old daughter just started school, her little brother is 15-months and could start as soon as he's 2.5.

All of the cars/trucks the parents drive to school are pretty boring (there is one Alfa SUV and a nice Merc E350 wagon and my Focus RS)

However, I know that by the time I actually get around to it, they'll likely be too big to ride in it. 

I saw a post on FB about Keith Martin selling his 308 GT4 and I thought how cool the 328 GTS was that I got to drive.  Something like that, while completely out of my budget, would be pretty nice.  It doesn't have to set the world on fire, just have an awesome driving experience and some style.

That begged the question that came from my automotive ADD, if I were to just buy something cool, fun and old; what is out there?

spandak
spandak Reader
11/20/19 3:24 p.m.

They could probably fit in the back of a 911 for a few more years. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/20/19 3:35 p.m.

What is the budget?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/20/19 3:37 p.m.

04-06 GTO has rear "buckets" and I've seen plenty of buddies put car seats in them both forwards and rear-facing. Only downside is small trunk. Adults can fit in the rear. 04 has LS1; 05-06 has LS2.

Or the later year F-bodies, also room for two in the back. LS1 for the twins.

If you want even older, maybe an 8-series? They're still pretty cool and not too rare to find. Definitely don't see them too much, if at all.

Or maybe even an E30? They're still relatively cheap and not too common.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/20/19 3:37 p.m.

Apparently the back seat of a Lotus Evora will fit people up to 5' ok. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/20/19 3:38 p.m.

Your limiting factor is going to be carseats. Unfortunately, I think that limits you to Camaro's/Mustangs, maybe some 3 series. I don't think a true 2+2 is ever going to be an option.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/19 3:39 p.m.
spandak said:

They could probably fit in the back of a 911 for a few more years. 

Not likely if they are both in rear facing car seats.  The rear facing portion is the hardest time give the huge size of the seats and the need to wrestle yourself back their to help them buckle.  Around 5 years old it gets easier given that they can buckle themselves. 

TGMF
TGMF Reader
11/20/19 3:40 p.m.

Relatively newish Camaro or Mustang. Fun for you, while not absorbing time you don't have due to reliability/ updates needed. At least....this is my plan when i get the monies.  Currently a 2017 Camaro SS 1le  does it for me.  

Doesn't matter the trim or engine, all are better performers,  and safer than a delapitated 924.  

kids start some type of school at 2.5?  guess my 3.5yr old is behind! 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/20/19 3:44 p.m.

On the affordable side: 928 if you want to stay in the P-car family, BMW 6 or 8-series, or Toyota Supra. All are surprisingly decent at accommodating adults in back so kids should be easy.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/19 3:45 p.m.

Shoot for an old lux sedan and tweak it either to look tough or sound tough. 

Jag XJ is a currently hot choice.  For me, it is Infiniti Q45. An old CTS-V would be awesome.  Anything in this Aristocrat Class of car.

Dodge Challenger (or 300c) possible too.  The early Hemis should be getting cheaper

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/19 3:49 p.m.

Your Focus RS is probably as good as anything that is genuinely realistic with 2 kids

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/20/19 4:10 p.m.

+1 on many of the above suggestions.  The 392 scat pack Mopars are mid 12 sec car with lots of space and get you in something low miles and "new" for low 20's.  The Merc 550 wagon might be an interesting option as well.  The 540/550 BMW sedans depreciate pretty hard and are fun with some eyeball.

Stefan
11/20/19 5:10 p.m.
TGMF said:kids start some type of school at 2.5?  guess my 3.5yr old is behind! 

Its a Montessori pre-school, her class is from 2.5 to 5 years old.  Basically as soon as they are potty trained and at least 2.5 they can go.  Its essentially fancy daycare that helps teach independance and self-reliance.  Which suits our strong willed daughter to a T and our son seems to be following in her footsteps as well, only a bit more rambunctious.

Yup, both are rear facing and its a bit tight in the FoRS.  We deliberatly chose skinny seats to ensure there was room for an adult in the back and they are good until they no longer need the seats.

On anything older, I could put one in the front seat (no air bags) and one in the rear, it should work with the flip forward seats that an older 2+2 would have.

I'm not set on staying in the P-car fold.  Honestly, I only have the 924 because it was cheap.  The 951S I had briefly was better in nearly every way, except in deferred, expensive maintenance.  Oddly, my 924 had been pretty reliable once I tossed CIS to the curb and went MegaSquirt, but then I've let it sit for quite a while now, so I'll need to go over quite a bit of it and it needs moar powa (which I have both a blower and a turbo to install on it).

I like the idea of something with some rumble though, I've always had 4's and I think something V8 powered would be fun to own at some point in my life.  The 740iL I had briefly had a lovely motor, the rest of it was a maintenance headache that I was glad to be rid of.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/20/19 5:12 p.m.

Both my kids went to Montessori from 13 months to 5 years old. Boy I was glad at 5, when I didn't have to pay $3600 a month for two kids.  Here the Montessori goes to 8th grade. 

Stefan
11/20/19 5:44 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Both my kids went to Montessori from 13 months to 5 years old. Boy I was glad at 5, when I didn't have to pay $3600 a month for two kids.  Here the Montessori goes to 8th grade. 

Yeah, same here.  Though the costs aren't as bad at this point.  The Wife went to private school and I went to public, there are ongoing debates about the pros and cons of both.  Luckily the grandparents are helping keep the costs reasonable.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/20/19 5:46 p.m.

2015+ Mustang, it has a real back seat, will baby.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/20/19 5:58 p.m.

I like the GTO suggestion.  Having owned a modified 04, I can attest to how good of a 2+2 sports car they are.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/19 6:10 p.m.

We owned an 8-series with 2 kids, the younger of which was ~7 at the time and small for his age. He couldn’t ride in the back of a person was in the front seat. My 993 has better rear seat space. 

For a reasonable price point and super fun to drive, I’d buy an e36 M3. I’ve had 2 of absolutely loved them. The second had an Active Autowerke gen 3 exhaust and sounded amazing!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/20/19 6:18 p.m.
Stefan said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Yeah, same here.  Though the costs aren't as bad at this point.  The Wife went to private school and I went to public, there are ongoing debates about the pros and cons of both.  Luckily the grandparents are helping keep the costs reasonable.

lucky. No grandparents to foot the bill here. Wife went to inner city public with metal detector, and then Ivy all the way. I went to super upscale public, non Ivy, and regular loser joe today. We are pro public, then again we are currently 2nd in the state behind Palo Alto in quality of schools, so we are ok with it.  That said, I still ahve neighbors who do private. My next door one has 3 elementary school kids, and our local private,w hich is one of the biggest Ivy feeder all the way up to HS, is $33k a year. So he has been paying 110K a year for 3 kids.

I did a 16 WRX Limited (lemon) for kids. Since then all my 2 seaters, so I take turns with kids.  Was eyeing a used E39 M5 or AMG, but don't want to pay Euro repairs. So bought a used GSR Sedan, and having fun with kids in that for now.

I got rid of my SC300 as it wasn't sporty enough, also got rid of our Legend coupe, both of which can baby.

I would do the GTO 6.0 or a CTS-V Wagon.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/20/19 6:19 p.m.

SC400? 

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/19 6:38 p.m.

97-98 M3 Sedan...there's one for sale in the Cars for sale section here...wink-wink

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/20/19 6:58 p.m.

If you decide to go big V8, the V(s) have served me well. Big, comfy, reliable. My girls like it when "daddy goes fast" and I roll down the windows so they can wave.

Ironically, I was shopping for an RS last year. Still kicking around the idea, but it would be a tight squeeze in the back seat, even with just booster seats.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
11/20/19 7:52 p.m.

RX8.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/19 7:56 p.m.

My '15 Audi S4 is perfect for kid hauling duty and has plenty of trunk space for her things. It also moves plenty fast while still being comfortable. Available in 6MT as well.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/20/19 9:18 p.m.

I asked this same question two years ago, then went against all advice and bought a Jag XK coupe. The back seat worked out fine for my 3 and 6 year olds to sit front-facing; my 13 year old was too big (so she sat up front) and the baby’s car seat was never going to work at all. Mustang, Camaro, 911... none of the other 2+2s I looked at were any different. Only sedan-based coupes (BMW, etc) had back seats with real headroom and legroom for adults.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YMoTrG3gq8Jf8LMESD7PTpCzZsANlZwPXNS01cmMWHPAUGzei3AtALdFfrG0Yw7B