eastpark
eastpark Reader
9/26/15 5:06 p.m.

Hi,
I'll be looking at a '76 Volvo 245DL wagon. It looks good in the photos, but we all know that doesn't say much. What are the weak points to consider when looking at one of these?

Thanks,
Paul

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
9/26/15 5:58 p.m.

If from Canada, car is still likely to be carbureted. If from USA, it's EFI ie K Jet I believe. Rust on the hatch window and rear wheel wells.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
9/26/15 6:18 p.m.

And rust under the passenger rear seat. Dunno why every 240 I've seen rusted there but yeah. Kjet is funky but simplistic but can be a headscratcher as that's what I'm dealing with now. What trans is it?

eastpark
eastpark Reader
9/26/15 6:44 p.m.

In reply to chiodos: Automatic

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/26/15 7:35 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: If from Canada, car is still likely to be carbureted. If from USA, it's EFI ie K Jet I believe. Rust on the hatch window and rear wheel wells.

75 and 76 were all injected up here. Carb option came back in 77, stayed til 84.

To the op, if it still has a floorpan, everything else is cake. I've even replaced the odd floorpan/seat riser...

Markde
Markde Reader
9/26/15 8:00 p.m.

In reply to eastpark: Wiring harnesses also like to disintegrate on the older 240s.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/26/15 8:08 p.m.
Markde wrote: In reply to eastpark: Wiring harnesses also like to disintegrate on the older 240s.

Just around the engine. There's only about 7 wires on a K-jet car anyway. EFI gets a bit more involved.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
9/26/15 8:48 p.m.

Yeah even my washer fluid pump wires disinterested on my 85

EvanR
EvanR Dork
9/27/15 1:53 a.m.
Markde wrote: In reply to eastpark: Wiring harnesses also like to disintegrate on the older 240s.

That really wasn't until 1980 or so. My '75 had a perfect wiring harness up until it became too unsafe to drive... in 2003.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FfsnxlKrDfK55oQrWiI5KdHl35AhVzn4aqv8IJbdPFiUlK3O5OxvnaCD2TL35IZq