nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/20/12 8:36 p.m.

I'm getting deeper into prepping the e21 for paint and remembered a box I have been dragging round with me from when I painted my old e21 back in 06'.

I dug it out to see what I might be able to use out of it and found what feels like a full gallon of Nason acrylic enamel in Toyota super white. I forgot I had this and the can has never been opened. Someone ordered it for a 300zx then changed there mind on the color and just gave it to me. There is a date of 5/19/06 written on the side of the can. I also have a pint of catalyst and almost a gallon of fast reducer with a little less than half a gallon of Nason acrylic enamel BMW black left over from my paint job.

What are the chances that any of this stuff is still any good?

The budget for this paint job is non existent and I had planned on spraying either rustoleum or tractor paint but if this stuff is still good I'd be like

Don49
Don49 Reader
3/20/12 8:46 p.m.

Open it up and stir it. If the paint appears smooth and has no grit or granules, it should be good to go.The catalyst should be ok if it is in a metal can and flows freely when poured. I was a factory paint rep for Sherin-Williams and have used old paint with no issues.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/20/12 9:21 p.m.

Sweet, now I have to come up with a white and black paint scheme that will look good.

wclark
wclark New Reader
3/21/12 7:55 a.m.

I just finished repainting the damaged and repaired area to my '86 GTI from last seasons racing. I had previously repainted a couple door panel in 2005 and still had a bit less than a quart of the Nason Ful-Cryl II black on hand. It had been opened, partially used and resealed. It looked and stirred fine. I did buy more but I also mixed some of the now-7-year-old paint and its catalyst and shot it - on a test body panel, to check the paint and to do some initial adjustments on my new HVLP gun. It seems to be fine. Went on well (after getting the mix, pattern and air right), flowed out nicely and set up as normal.

I would give it a go.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
3/21/12 8:01 a.m.

I can tell you for certain that the hardener I used with PPG Delthane/Delstar paint would go had in a couple of weeks after you opened it. But that sounds a little different from the Nason paint/catalyst system you are using. With mine, there was no doubt it was bad.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
3/21/12 8:33 a.m.

the acrylic enamel should be good, just mix very very well cause solids will settle out.

reducer should be good but don't chince, buy new

don't use the catalyst

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/21/12 8:56 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Sweet, now I have to come up with a white and black paint scheme that will look good.

Checkers!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
3/21/12 9:05 a.m.

Go the spy photo route...if you have a solid month free to spend with a razor and masking tape

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/21/12 7:32 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: the acrylic enamel should be good, just mix very very well cause solids will settle out. reducer should be good but don't chince, buy new don't use the catalyst

I was leaning towards new reducer. I was hoping the unopened catalyst would be ok. Think I'll spray a test panel or two with what I have and if it acts funky at all get new stuff, do a couple more test sprays just to be sure. I really really would hate to spray it then have to strip it all again because it never kicks or something.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SogpMMKpCHIrAxTHeJKPIl2CYzizDbE0fMvr7a1OTbFWOVZdhCfFEEjFwiukNYog