1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/2/15 12:08 p.m.

Underdog car? Anything I drive

I'm kinda puzzled by the whole thread. The OP has what sounds to be a reasonably set up local STR car, why even if it's not the dogs dangly bits worry. Unless he wants to go to Nationals and spend cubic $$'s or has a national level drive locally, the driver is 99% of the package anyway. Why worry about another car? Confuzzled.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/4/15 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Reasonably set up, yes.
The fact that it is my autocross car is the only reason I haven't sold it.
And as of last week I own the world's third ugliest AW11 MR2.

Mostly at this point I'm pondering if it's worth my time to snag a set of konis for the MR2 and then think about class specific rubber later
(I'm pretty firmly set on new bushings and likely replacement OEM level shocks right meow)

Everything I've read suggests that once set up the AW11 will be as crisp in the handling department as the Miata, thought possibly at the expense of ease of driveability once I start pushing it.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/4/15 4:36 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to Kazoospec: Because if the car is in even mild STR trim it's had a lot more mods than simply swapping wheels. Springs/diff/intake/exhaust/etc are likely changed out.

Yeah, headers, exhaust, and coilovers. Plus the factory LSD.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/4/15 10:30 p.m.

Man, when you say autocross underdogs i really expected something a little more underdog-ish than a ~2000 lb MR car.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
3/4/15 11:04 p.m.

IMHO an STR NA Miata is less outclassed than an ES AW11 because STR allows you to correct more of the car's flaws than ES.

It's pretty course dependent though. On a tight regional-type course a well built STR Torsen NA can be right there with an NC or S2k, but on a big Nationals type course, no chance. You need at least 160-170 hp to play in STR these days at a national level.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYVlZprFHqzJQ546jYrxrpWq97apUlAV4EZEMZ07gN9PbBkmZ1xNg9OioDHjBlqf